Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ken Griffey Jr behind a paywall in MLB The Show 17?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ken Griffey Jr behind a paywall in MLB The Show 17?

During the twitch stream, it shows the steps you need to take to get 99 Jr. One of them was playing online. I don't have PSN+ and don't ever plan on getting it. Is the only way to get the 99 Griffey exclusive to those that pay extra to a membership program? I always felt it was odd that I need to pay extra money to unlock content on the disc I've already bought(online play). Please put in another way to get Griffey Jr for those of us that don't have Playstation Plus.

I sure hope that's not the case.... I'm with you

Comment

Online play is part of the full experience of Diamond Dynasty. It's $5/month or less if you buy it for a year. Not really a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ_NFL_24 View Post
        Online play is part of the full experience of Diamond Dynasty. It's $5/month or less if you buy it for a year. Not really a big deal.
        I literally don't understand people that don't want to pay for online services, or the ones that claim to be unable to go from PS3 to PS4.

Comment

I wouldn't say he is behind a paywall. I would call it more of an online head to head wall. Judging by the Show Reddit and these forums, there are a lot of players that aren't into the competitive online part of the game. By putting the best cards behind head to head achievements I think they are going to anger a significant portion of their fan base.

I didn't start playing until late October and personally love playing head to head now. I will say it was nice being able to still get great cards without being forced to play head to head while still learning the game. Let's face it, the show is a hard game to get good at. Some people will never be good enough to accomplish some of these missions against a human opponent. I'm still fairly new, but the portion of the fanbase that just loves baseball and has no desire to play head to head appears to be pretty significant.

A lot of it will fall on pure luck with matchups. Most decent players tend to put up at least a run or two no matter who they play (this is just referring to the shutout mission in the rookie program, can you even imagine what you will have to accomplish online for that Griffey?). So now everyone will be hoping to get matched up with a low skill player to finish program missions. How does that make the community better?

I'm still very new to the game and have loved playing almost every minute. Along with playing a lot I also frequent Reddit and these forums. Judging by what I've read, for every one of us that loves online head to head there is another guy that just loves baseball and collecting cards. They have basically told that guy he won't have a chance at touching some great rewards. I cannot see that going over well.

BTW: WTF is with that Hanley card being better than the Prime Griffey hitting wise? That prime Griffey is a borderline platoon card at the plate. Kind of disappointing.
          Last edited by nremdn; 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfgangRockie View Post

I literally don't understand people that don't want to pay for online services, or the ones that claim to be unable to go from PS3 to PS4.

PS3 had and still has free online play. Nintendo and PC have always had it.(Nintendo is going to start charging in the fall sadly). There is no reason Sony and M$ have to charge to play online. I bought a PS4, MLB The Show and I pay for my internet connection. It makes no sense to have to pay extra money to unlock content already on the $60 disc I've already bought. PS3 has the perfect model. Free online play and an OPTIONAL subscription program to get discounts and "free" games. Free as in they are yours as long as you pay for PSN+. Giving customers options is always a good thing. You can't understand why someone wouldn't want to pay $60 or whatever every year just to play the game they've already bought online? Yes, I know you get discounts and "free" games but that should be an optional service like PS3. I worked in retail years ago and after telling customers that PS3 had free online and Microsoft charged you $60 a year and that over the course of 5 years, they would have saved $300 simply by owning a PS3 and playing online on it, most of the people bought a PS3. If you can't understand why people don't want to spend hundreds of dollars extra(what it costs to play online over the life of the PS4) I don't know what to tell you.

I realize the awesome Battle Royale mode is behind a paywall but the cards you earn can still be purchased on the market or in the captains store. If Griffey Jr ends up like all the other cards and I am able to purchase him with stubs or tickets, I apologize for the confusion.
            Last edited by Freeze_Time_; 02-16-2017, 02:17 AM.

Comment

PS3 online play was no where near the level of XBox 360s online play. PS Plus was more of an optional thing that got you some free games and discounts on PS3 but if you are like me and play people head to head as well as take advantage of free and discounted offerings you will benefit from PS Plus as the online on PS4 is much improved from its PS3 days. Not sure why you are calling it a paywall but whatever. I'd look at a paywall as something like having to do all the objectives and then having to buy the card once you complete those objectives. This is entirely different as you will be rewarded with the card once you hit 100% completion and it won't be something like last year were people are running around with 99 Griffey at the start of the game and they are doing that for a reason as you should feel that you accomplished something which is why I pretty much gave up on trying to get A-Rod after seeing how easy it is to "grind" to get him but I refuse to do that "grind"... I get stats with him when he's in my lineup and when I can't use him he's not even on my roster. I think these first few streams and videos is probably what has me playing 16 less though honestly as I really just want to play 17 today.

Comment

I sure hope I don't have to lumber through single player games games, wasting time playing against a CPU in order to get him. I don't have time to "grind", so hopefully they just put a price tag on him to give all of us an equal shot at getting him.

Comment

I'm glad this thread was started. I have always been intrigued by Diamond Dynasty, but always hesitated to start because I'm a late night to early am gamer, and don't play consistently enough to keep up with a league or any sort of consistent online type of play that needs to be scheduled with others. I'm seeing that DD does not need to be played as a total online H2H experience to be enjoyed. I can play alot of it against the CPU as well. I'm looking forward to continuing for 17. I have played briefly in 15 and 16. I can see that the Show is essentially structured around getting people into DD.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post
                    I sure hope I don't have to lumber through single player games games, wasting time playing against a CPU in order to get him. I don't have time to "grind", so hopefully they just put a price tag on him to give all of us an equal shot at getting him.

With them debuting Programs I don't foresee this card being available via the ticket counter. As far as playing single player games I don't see the issue as its not like you will be playing a random game as in most of those examples you had to play a specific team and they even gave the difficulty level that the game had to be on and if there was a stat that you needed. Also if the same holds for last year as this year you can probably quit out of the game once you get the stat(s) required. Some of course like in Chris Archer's Rookie Program you will have to finish the game but I see this as no different than playing a Solo Challenge in Madden Ultimate Team and the community over there is pretty much outraged that there aren't more Solos.

Comment

Originally posted by romeischillin View Post

With them debuting Programs I don't foresee this card being available via the ticket counter. As far as playing single player games I don't see the issue as its not like you will be playing a random game as in most of those examples you had to play a specific team and they even gave the difficulty level that the game had to be on and if there was a stat that you needed. Also if the same holds for last year as this year you can probably quit out of the game once you get the stat(s) required. Some of course like in Chris Archer's Rookie Program you will have to finish the game but I see this as no different than playing a Solo Challenge in Madden Ultimate Team and the community over there is pretty much outraged that there aren't more Solos.
                      My post was pretty much a sarcastic rebuttal of the OP, with some inference that time is money regardless of how it is presented.

Comment

If you can't afford 5 dolllars a month, how in the world did you afford a ps4?

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post
                          Exactly - single mode players complain about having to play online while at the same time competitive players have to spend hours completing conquest and other things to acquire certain flashbacks/legends. It makes perfect sense to make people play all aspects of the mode to get the 99 version of the cover boy IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Betru2ThaGame__ View Post

Exactly - single mode players complain about having to play online while at the same time competitive players have to spend hours completing conquest and other things to acquire certain flashbacks/legends. It makes perfect sense to make people play all aspects of the mode to get the 99 version of the cover boy IMO
                            I totally agree with this, but when you make missions like throw a complete game shutout in online h2h you are going to upset a good portion of your fanbase that doesn't have the desire or skill to accomplish that.

With the steep learning curve this game has, there will always be the haves and have nots and a system like that will only widen the gap. I love online competitive in any game, but I can respect the guys that just aren't into that. They shouldn't be punished for it. I've never seen such a large portion of a fanbase so passionate about the single player aspect of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by dhood8083 View Post
                              I'm glad this thread was started. I have always been intrigued by Diamond Dynasty, but always hesitated to start because I'm a late night to early am gamer, and don't play consistently enough to keep up with a league or any sort of consistent online type of play that needs to be scheduled with others. I'm seeing that DD does not need to be played as a total online H2H experience to be enjoyed. I can play alot of it against the CPU as well. I'm looking forward to continuing for 17. I have played briefly in 15 and 16. I can see that the Show is essentially structured around getting people into DD.
                              DD is amazing, and looks to be getting even better this year. Definitely worth giving it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X