Good Timing...Foul Tipped. Please make directional hitting playable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Timing...Foul Tipped. Please make directional hitting playable

Not everyone has the ability to master (or even become decent) with SDS preferred zone hitting, but directional hitting at higher levels (whether H2H or offline vs Legendary) is effectively worthless. Directional has the smallest timing window and yet is entirely stats based, thus constantly giving you the "good timing/foul tipped or miss" or worse "good timing/weak pop up" results while at the same time making it very difficult to get good timing in the first place. In reality the timing window for zone should be the smallest (you can guarantee a squared up ball on contact) and directional the largest (you have no control over results even with good timing). I'm not advocating making directional OP, just to make it at least competitive with other methods (I don't think I can take watching Ichiro hit another pop up right behind the mound on a good timed swing again).

No one is making you use directional (which is for beginners in my opinion). You are putting your faith in stats, and coming up on the short and against pitchers with amazing stats. Hitting with directional is easy enough, no need to make every "good timing" a HR (it already seems like it is).

Comment

Agree with Saintsfan. I don't think players should be rewarded with getting more for less. Them changing directional hitting from its current form would allow people to just pick up the sticks and beat someone they may have no business beating. Please don't think I'm talking down to gamers who enjoy directional hitting but getting good timing on a swing is a very small component of what it takes to hit a baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post
        Hitting with directional is easy enough, no need to make every "good timing" a HR (it already seems like it is).
        I'm not saying change the results, just make the timing window bigger. In my experience (limited as it is), most "good timing" results don't even put the ball in play, let alone hit a home run. Also, the evidence we have shows that directional is by far the weakest of the hitting options (since all the top players use zone (which tells you what is OP)). Making the window bigger would just give you more "good timing" results from which the stats engine would derive an outcome. As it is now, you get penalized twice, once when you don't have good timing and again when the stats have you miss/pop out/foul tip.

Comment

Originally posted by GradektheBard View Post

I'm not saying change the results, just make the timing window bigger. In my experience (limited as it is), most "good timing" results don't even put the ball in play, let alone hit a home run. Also, the evidence we have shows that directional is by far the weakest of the hitting options (since all the top players use zone (which tells you what is OP)). Making the window bigger would just give you more "good timing" results from which the stats engine would derive an outcome. As it is now, you get penalized twice, once when you don't have good timing and again when the stats have you miss/pop out/foul tip.
          Just, no. Zone is not OP. Top players use zone because it gives them the most control over the outcome. You, on the other hand, have to manage one less variable than those who use zone. Your trade-off is that you subject yourself to the stats of the players and RNG.

Comment

No, they don't need to make directional easier. Learn how to use Zone or deal with the outcome of not having full control of your PCI placement.

Comment

Just do the early swinging thing 'till you get tired of it, since to work for directional. Good luck getting and staying above 1800 using directional.

Comment

My opinion, I wouldn't complain about your results in directional hitting. I, myself, am a directional hitter. You're gonna get some hits off of pitches that you probably shouldn't. I am a show veteran. Been playing since 06. I have played full seasons and the stats are far more lifelike with directional, in my opinion. I'm getting into dd for the last few weeks of 16 and I'm jumping in from the start in 17. I also don't believe directional hitting is the worst violation. Anyways, I'm looking forward to meeting some players that are likeminded that I can compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by MGarcia7 View Post
                  My opinion, I wouldn't complain about your results in directional hitting. I, myself, am a directional hitter. You're gonna get some hits off of pitches that you probably shouldn't. I am a show veteran. Been playing since 06. I have played full seasons and the stats are far more lifelike with directional, in my opinion. I'm getting into dd for the last few weeks of 16 and I'm jumping in from the start in 17. I also don't believe directional hitting is the worst violation. Anyways, I'm looking forward to meeting some players that are likeminded that I can compete with.
                  If you plan to play DD, online, against humans, I suggest you start learning zone hitting now.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post

If you plan to play DD, online, against humans, I suggest you start learning zone hitting now.
                    Don't you see the problem with this statement. Having 3 options for hitting, but having one be such an obvious choice proves how OP it is. I am really hoping the new ball physics/round bats they talked about really tone down the absurdity of good zone hitters hitting rockets every at bat vs great pitching. It's simply not realistic. And you have to understand that not everyone has the ability to become decent with zone hitting and that my original post wasn't about making it so directional would be competitive in the top leagues, but that it should be at least through the divisional series and maybe one above that. As the game stands right now, good pitching is simply not competitive with good hitting, which is about as un-baseball like as you can get.

Comment

Don't you see the problem with this statement. Having 3 options for hitting, but having one be such an obvious choice proves how OP it is. I am really hoping the new ball physics/round bats they talked about really tone down the absurdity of good zone hitters hitting rockets every at bat vs great pitching. It's simply not realistic. And you have to understand that not everyone has the ability to become decent with zone hitting and that my original post wasn't about making it so directional would be competitive in the top leagues, but that it should be at least through the divisional series and maybe one above that. As the game stands right now, good pitching is simply not competitive with good hitting, which is about as un-baseball like as you can get.
                      You need to use your brain, not the cpu's brain, when playing against another human. It's as simple as that. You need to be able to sit on a certain pitch and LOCATION if your opponent gets a pattern going. If you aren't good enough to learn zone, then you aren't good enough to get any better than you are ... sorry, but it's true.

Comment

Your statement, "Not everyone has the ability to become decent with zone hitting" is pretty indicative that zone hitting is NOT OP.

Comment

Zone hitting isn't OP in itself. It's just the best way to hit IF you're able to get good at using it. There are still plenty of people who try, and fail, using zone. You are only ever doing part of the work if you're using directional. It makes absolutely zero sense to do half of the work (not controlling your PCI placement), and expecting the same results. You'll only ever be so successful using directional in online play. That's just the fact of the matter. So either switch to zone, and learn how to hit with it, or stick with directional and live with the results.

Comment

I wonder if there could ever be a way to separate hitting styles online. I know everyone wants to be competitive, but it's not really fair putting a directional hitter against a zone hitter. Zone hitting is so much harder than directional. It's not fair to punish the guys that put the work in getting better at zone.

If there was a system where you could match up with other people that used your preferred hitting style I think that could be a huge boost to the community. A way to keep fans of every hitting style happy and not feeling left out.

I do know that making directional even easier is not the answer.

Comment

Isn't directional hitting already easy enough. If you want to get as close to true results via the user, switch to zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X