Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet Effects Hitting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Internet Effects Hitting...

    Does anyone know if the internet connection effects hitting/timing? I know it seems like a dumb question. I recently switched from Timewarner 100mbps to 18mbps with DirectTV. They explained it to me that 18 with DirectTV is better because I don't share that 18mpbs with my neighbors as I would with Time Warner and the 100mbps shared with neighbors. Don't know how much of that effects me, but lately I've been pretty crappy with my timing and don't know if it's me or maybe changing my internet about a month ago. ALSO, when I had Time Warner my ps4 was connected with a wire while now that I have direct tv I'm connected wirelessly. Any feedback or anyone whose good with this kind've stuff would totally be appreciated. Thanks!

  • #2
    Do you know what your upload is? The upload could be more important than your download. 10 to 15 mbps for download is ok while 2 to 3 mbps upload is decent but not ok. 5 mbps upload or more is ok. I have 40 down 20 up dedicated not shared and I don't lag at all.

    Comment


    • #3
      While you aren't sharing with your neighbors, is there any other Internet activity going on in your house? Netflix on another TV? Cell phone backing itself up to the cloud, or updating apps? Someone rented a movie on Amazon?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post
        While you aren't sharing with your neighbors, is there any other Internet activity going on in your house? Netflix on another TV? Cell phone backing itself up to the cloud, or updating apps? Someone rented a movie on Amazon?
        I mean, sometimes if my girlfriend is home she may be on her phone or something. Occasionally she will be in the other room watching Hulu while I play the show for an hour or so a day.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JAM0NEAND0 View Post
          Do you know what your upload is? The upload could be more important than your download. 10 to 15 mbps for download is ok while 2 to 3 mbps upload is decent but not ok. 5 mbps upload or more is ok. I have 40 down 20 up dedicated not shared and I don't lag at all.
          Wow that's good! What internet do you have??

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by amendoza616 View Post

            I mean, sometimes if my girlfriend is home she may be on her phone or something. Occasionally she will be in the other room watching Hulu while I play the show for an hour or so a day.
            If someone is steaming 1080p or especially 4k while you are playing the show, that could cause some lag since your bandwidth is decreased. Depends on a lot of things.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by amendoza616 View Post

              Wow that's good! What internet do you have??
              CenturyLink

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JAM0NEAND0 View Post

                CenturyLink
                CenturyLink is garbage. I just went from CL to Comcast Xfinity and it is 100 times better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by amendoza616 View Post
                  Does anyone know if the internet connection effects hitting/timing? I know it seems like a dumb question. I recently switched from Timewarner 100mbps to 18mbps with DirectTV. They explained it to me that 18 with DirectTV is better because I don't share that 18mpbs with my neighbors as I would with Time Warner and the 100mbps shared with neighbors. Don't know how much of that effects me, but lately I've been pretty crappy with my timing and don't know if it's me or maybe changing my internet about a month ago. ALSO, when I had Time Warner my ps4 was connected with a wire while now that I have direct tv I'm connected wirelessly. Any feedback or anyone whose good with this kind've stuff would totally be appreciated. Thanks!
                  CenturyLink tried to feed me the same line about how theirs isnt shared, but the bottom line is my download speeds went from like 20 if it was perfect to 100 mbps.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    From my experience with both pretty crappy internet and great internet, the difference is pretty minor. What matters FAR MORE is what tv or monitor you have. What ms it is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TheeAtomicPunk View Post
                      From my experience with both pretty crappy internet and great internet, the difference is pretty minor. What matters FAR MORE is what tv or monitor you have. What ms it is.
                      Very interesting. Got a nice 42 inch HD LG. Don't know the MS. Can probably find it though. What would be considered a "good" MS?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Trust it does affect hitting. As I'm in the UK most of the people I play are over 3,000 miles away and trust me, I've had a fair few games this year where I'm trying to hit 98 MPH knuckleballs that look like they're going in one part of the zone then just suddenly lag somewhere else!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by amendoza616 View Post

                          Very interesting. Got a nice 42 inch HD LG. Don't know the MS. Can probably find it though. What would be considered a "good" MS?
                          In my opinion, you need 40ms or less of input lag to play this game and not have to completely guess at pitches.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by amendoza616 View Post

                            Very interesting. Got a nice 42 inch HD LG. Don't know the MS. Can probably find it though. What would be considered a "good" MS?
                            From what I know 10 ms and below is best. Personally, I think 40 ms is far too high.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PlayedRex View Post
                              Trust it does affect hitting. As I'm in the UK most of the people I play are over 3,000 miles away and trust me, I've had a fair few games this year where I'm trying to hit 98 MPH knuckleballs that look like they're going in one part of the zone then just suddenly lag somewhere else!
                              Even players with fantastic internet get that happening sometimes. I've seen it myself and in YouTube videos.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X