The randomness that is batting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The randomness that is batting

So I know they have addressed throwing motions, ease of bunting and a few other things for 17. But have they said anything about the million variables they factor in when batting. I understand that attributes, the count, the score, pitchers confidence, etc. are all factors, but if I have to square up on 5 balls in a row for choppers to second and pops up to right I might just go insane. Anyone hear anything?

I'm tired of winning/losing because of randomness and want to be rewarded for hitting the ball well. My sanity is on the line here folks.

Couldn't agree more!

Comment

It gets crazy some times. Lots of people complaining​ about the hitting output on this game, including me but I deal with it. Good timing + Good PCI placement SHOULD NOT get you to pop it in the infield and even foul sometimes. I don't want to always get a base hit but show me some appreciation for my effort, a line drive will do.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus1121 View Post
        So I know they have addressed throwing motions, ease of bunting and a few other things for 17. But have they said anything about the million variables they factor in when batting. I understand that attributes, the count, the score, pitchers confidence, etc. are all factors, but if I have to square up on 5 balls in a row for choppers to second and pops up to right I might just go insane. Anyone hear anything?

I'm tired of winning/losing because of randomness and want to be rewarded for hitting the ball well. My sanity is on the line here folks.
        Lol you and i both my friend. You and i both!

Comment

Originally posted by JAM0NEAND0 View Post
          It gets crazy some times. Lots of people complaining​ about the hitting output on this game, including me but I deal with it. Good timing + Good PCI placement SHOULD NOT get you to pop it in the infield and even foul sometimes. I don't want to always get a base hit but show me some appreciation for my effort, a line drive will do.
          Dont care if its an out or a hit atleast let it be a ball well hit somewhere.

Comment

I get your frustrations...happens to us all but if you do not like randomness then you are playing the wrong sports game my friend.

That being said, if you are consistently squaring up the ball then you wont lose many games. However if you are striking out 10 plus times a game and might have 3-4 center greens that only yield to one hit then you are not being consistent enough to expect favorable results. I have no idea what your stats are or how you play but I am just giving examples.

Edit: Went back and checked a few of yout box scores. I saw a few games with 15 plus strikeouts and multiple with 8+. I saw your avg was .286 too. My advice would be to cut down on your strikeouts to yield more consistent results. If you and your opponent are roughly even with skill level then yes alot of games will come down to randomness and whoever has their hits find holes.
            Last edited by cardinalbird5; 03-11-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalbird5 View Post
              I get your frustrations...happens to us all but if you do not like randomness then you are playing the wrong sports game my friend.

That being said, if you are consistently squaring up the ball then you wont lose many games. However if you are striking out 10 plus times a game and might have 3-4 center greens that only yield to one hit then you are not being consistent enough to expect favorable results. I have no idea what your stats are or how you play but I am just giving examples.

Edit: Went back and checked a few of yout box scores. I saw a few games with 15 plus strikeouts and multiple with 8+. I saw your avg was .286 too. My advice would be to cut down on your strikeouts to yield more consistent results. If you and your opponent are roughly even with skill level then yes alot of games will come down to randomness and whoever has their hits find holes.

I would't say I'm playing the wrong sports game, I'm just expressing some frustration that is agreed upon by most players. Something I am hoping was working on for 17. I started playing DD for the first time about a month ago, and am currently ranked 1865, so I think I'm pretty decent at the game. I am a free swinger and strike out a fair amount, but having innings of squaring up on 3 straight balls that yield zero solid contact at bats should happen next to never. I get hits/home runs that are line drives in the gap or home runs on balls that I don't even hit well. I have played/watched/followed baseball my whole life, and my favorite games played on here are the ones that are the most realistic, so I'm not expecting to hit .400 with 5 home runs a game. I played a game yesterday and made a conscious effort to work the count and take more pitches. Yet I give up 3 home runs on 0-2 counts on balls (one in which the results were "late" and my pitchers confidence was close to 80%) where I painted the corner. And I yanked two balls that were hit nearly perfect for fouls on favorable counts with runners on base. I ended up winning the game on a long fly ball that I hit green center (perfectly centered) that was hit deep to center and dropped by the center fielder. That's not how I want to win a game. I want to be rewarded for doing what I'm supposed to do with a home run or a ball in the gap.

And yes, it happens to all of us. My post was to inquire if it won't be happening to us as frequently when 17 comes out and if this was addressed by SDS. And my .286 average is likely skewed from the .500 average I have playing against the Yettis.

Comment

I checked your universal profile so those are online games only so the 286 is legit, which is solid but can be improved.

I honestly doubt the game changes too much for 17 but maybe the new physics engine can change that and yield more consistent results.

I do 100 pct agree though there are way too many dropped routine fly balls randomly and some random animations that cause you to throw late or miss a ball. I think the sense of urgency logic will fix some of that.

Comment

I'm not even close to being great at the game, Rufus, but one way to cut down on strikeouts is to take pitches. This has a number of different benefits but being more selective has helped me cut down on strikeouts and put more balls in play. I've changed my hitting approach a lot over the last month and I've found that approaching AB's with the mentality that I'm going to "grind out every AB" has actually provided me with better results more often. My stats are in the tank because I enjoy drinking cold beer sometimes while playing but all things being equal, my new approach has yielded more wins than I was getting previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_Sawdoff View Post
                    I'm not even close to being great at the game, Rufus, but one way to cut down on strikeouts is to take pitches. This has a number of different benefits but being more selective has helped me cut down on strikeouts and put more balls in play. I've changed my hitting approach a lot over the last month and I've found that approaching AB's with the mentality that I'm going to "grind out every AB" has actually provided me with better results more often. My stats are in the tank because I enjoy drinking cold beer sometimes while playing but all things being equal, my new approach has yielded more wins than I was getting previously.
                    Rufus, i was also a free swinger. What helped me most was waiting till i had 2 strikes before i started swinging. Its really hard at first but it has helped me a bunch. I now dont always wait for 2 strikes as ive gotten better at reading pitches.

Cant wait for 17. Hopefully the new game will alleviate some of our frustrations.

Comment

In real baseball you can square one up and just miss it..same for a liner or a ball hit right to someone. It's just baseball

Comment

Originally posted by dodgerslakers1 View Post
                        In real baseball you can square one up and just miss it..same for a liner or a ball hit right to someone. It's just baseball
                        It's not rare to see a player square up the four times and produce four hard line drives but at the end of the day the box score reads 0-4.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalbird5 View Post

Aah aah, we are not playing the wrong sport game but the only baseball game for ps4 and even that I am grateful for having it around I can't just stay quiet about some minor flaws on it. I am on the same boat as rufus and MannyJay and I do hit well over .300 on my main account even after grinding for tikets for days it still bothers that I have I perfect PCI placement and solid green good​ timing for a weak high flyball to the infield. After such a great effort I get a crappy fly out, no way. I don't want a base hit but at least a ball well hit even if it is straight to a fielder. I get the randomness of the output but in baseball when you place the sweet spot of your bat on the ball it travels well hard fast and feels great. That's what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by MannyJay24 View Post

Rufus, i was also a free swinger. What helped me most was waiting till i had 2 strikes before i started swinging. Its really hard at first but it has helped me a bunch. I now dont always wait for 2 strikes as ive gotten better at reading pitches.

Cant wait for 17. Hopefully the new game will alleviate some of our frustrations.
                            2 strikes is too much to wait. That only works agaist bad pitching opponents, you do that agaist me and you are technically screw. I throw strikes after strike and nothing down the middle 90% of the time unless you swing at everything. By the 3rd inning my SP confidence will be so high you won't be hitting shît off of him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAM0NEAND0 View Post

2 strikes is too much to wait. That only works agaist bad pitching opponents, you do that agaist me and you are technically screw. I throw strikes after strike and nothing down the middle 90% of the time unless you swing at everything. By the 3rd inning my SP confidence will be so high you won't be hitting shît off of him.
                              Thats how i got better. Obviously i dont do this all game long but i atleast take one pitch. If thats a ball then ill take another one

Comment

Working...
                              X