Definition of "good"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of "good"

So if you are on here a lot you've probably seen me complaining a decent amount lately. Sorry about that, but I'm not done. In regards to pitching, how many times do I need to throw a slider aiming at the inside part of the strike zone, hit the batter and have the feedback say "good". That doesn't sound very good. And this is with 99 and 97 ranked pitchers, in some instances with their confidence near perfect. If I'm aiming in the strike zone with pretty much any pitch and the feedback is "good" it should not end up a foot off the plate. Even pitching on legend. It goes from perfect to good to slightly (I think) early or late to very early or late. In hitting, "good" is the best thing you can get, and we all know what happens when you get a good feedback and hit it perfectly. You either pop it up, ground out, get a hit or homerun. WTF.

Gotta go. I'm gonna play a game early tomorrow and should probably swing now for a fastball I'm anticipating. Does everyone on here that can consistently catch up to high fastballs have a gaming monitor? Do I really need to drop $200 to stay competitive?
    Last edited by rufus1121; 03-12-2017, 06:18 PM.

OVERALL confidence isn't the only factor. If you've been missing the zone, having the slider getting hits off it and beaning batters with it that specific pitch confidence will be stupid low and VERY hard to control even with overall confidence moderate-high.

Comment

Use analog pitching. Meter, pulse, and classic give you inaccurate locations even if you're good at it. Analog pitching gives you control of every aspect with optimal precision.

As far as hitting goes, if you want to be the best hitter you can be I'd highly recommend a gaming monitor. This is the only video game I play any more, so for me it's been well worth the investment. Went from a terrible player with hitting fastballs being my main issue, to being rated 2104 this year with multiple 20 win and 12-0 BR runs.

Comment

All of these things I've suggested take time and effort. All of the good players put in a decent amount of both pitching and batting practice and a large majority of top players use monitors/KontrolFreeks, etc. to stay ahead of the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ_NFL_24 View Post
          All of these things I've suggested take time and effort. All of the good players put in a decent amount of both pitching and batting practice and a large majority of top players use monitors/KontrolFreeks, etc. to stay ahead of the curve.
          I'm not being negative, I just honestly don't know much about the difference. I play on a Sony hdr tv with game mode on. And I reached the high 1800s with easy before losing interests in DD. I guess as far as finally being able to hit the high heat which I struggled with last year, I just got into a grove where I was finally correctly anticipating pitch and location based off a having already played a few innings and learning the opponents pitching tendencies. I guess my point is if you can pick up patterns and tendencies is a gaming monitor really that big a difference/necessity?

Comment

Originally posted by cdotcizzle View Post

I'm not being negative, I just honestly don't know much about the difference. I play on a Sony hdr tv with game mode on. And I reached the high 1800s with easy before losing interests in DD. I guess as far as finally being able to hit the high heat which I struggled with last year, I just got into a grove where I was finally correctly anticipating pitch and location based off a having already played a few innings and learning the opponents pitching tendencies. I guess my point is if you can pick up patterns and tendencies is a gaming monitor really that big a difference/necessity?
            A necessity? Maybe not. I think the difference it makes is enough to make it worth the $ I spent. But I can't say that everyone else will have the exact same success I've had after upgrading to a BenQ, etc.

Also, with having switched to a gaming monitor, you don't need to be as reliant on tracking pitch tendencies. You can read & react more so.

Comment

Use analog pitching. Meter, pulse, and classic give you inaccurate locations even if you're good at it. Analog pitching gives you control of every aspect with optimal precision.

As far as hitting goes, if you want to be the best hitter you can be I'd highly recommend a gaming monitor. This is the only video game I play any more, so for me it's been well worth the investment. Went from a terrible player with hitting fastballs being my main issue, to being rated 2104 this year with multiple 20 win and 12-0 BR runs.
              Switching pitching methods after 5 years of the old fashioned way sounds pretty intimidating, but I'll try it on practice mode and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by cdotcizzle View Post

Maybe my TV just really sucks. I have it on gaming mode and researched all the other settings to change as well. Just finished a game in where I had 3 at bats in the last inning where I just sat high and in, guessed it right and was late and popped it up. And if I guess really early then I yank it foul. I think this game is slowly taking years off of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus1121 View Post

Maybe my TV just really sucks. I have it on gaming mode and researched all the other settings to change as well. Just finished a game in where I had 3 at bats in the last inning where I just sat high and in, guessed it right and was late and popped it up. And if I guess really early then I yank it foul. I think this game is slowly taking years off of my life.
                  Honestly I think it's just getting in your head too much. Everyone goes through "slumps" which I don't think is accurately portrait in this game but that's my opinion. It sounds like maybe you're over thinking it and then sometimes not so sure lol. Maybe time for a break, time to play a different mode for a little while. When I start doing bad in one mode consistently (more then a day) I tend to play other modes for a few days, then I come back and I feel refreshed I guess you could say.

Comment

Switching pitching methods after 5 years of the old fashioned way sounds pretty intimidating, but I'll try it on practice mode and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice.
                    I used meter all of 16, and made the switch with the advice of several top players. It took a while to get down, but pitching practice really helps. After a while, you'll come to love it and most likely wish you'd have switched sooner.

Comment

Game mode on a TV will only help to a certain extent.

Comment

He's right, I sometimes take my PS4 to work and play on my laptop monitor not a gaming monitor or anything but very high quality and honestly I think I've lost maybe 2 games in the 20 I've played, and honestly I'm the definition of average at this game, but monitors have such a fast refresh rate it allows you to wait on pitches much longer, I've had games on monitor that I've walked 5+ times

Comment

Again with the monitor and KontrolFreeks. I'm considering getting the KontrolFreeks... do they REALLY make a difference?

And a monitor?? I really like using my 42" flatscreen. Getting a gaming monitor thats gonna be smaller and have to put away and take out every time seems like such a hassle, no?

Comment

EJ_NFL_24 I have read some of the reviews on the kontrol freaks and one of the common complaints was that they come off during game play. Have you had this issue? I just imagine shooting the joystick up to swing at a fastball and the little thumb stick cover flying off and rolling on the floor lol.

Comment

Originally posted by amendoza616 View Post

Again with the monitor and KontrolFreeks. I'm considering getting the KontrolFreeks... do they REALLY make a difference?

And a monitor?? I really like using my 42" flatscreen. Getting a gaming monitor thats gonna be smaller and have to put away and take out every time seems like such a hassle, no?
                              I've had the KontrolFreaks for a month now and I can't say I've seen much of an improvement on my hitting. It's helped me hit pitches over the plate that I used to overcompensate for, but the drawback is I haven't been able to hit pitches on the black as well anymore.

Another point that I need to make is that getting a monitor will NOT make you a WS player overnight. I got my monitor over the summer and it still took about a month for things to "click" for me, and I didn't make into the WS until 12/31. Is it helpful for catching up on the high-inside heat? Absolutely. But you still need to make adjustments since offspeed pitches will seem super slow now.

Comment

Working...
                              X