The change in diamonds to 90

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The change in diamonds to 90

The change to diamonds to 90+ (vs 93+ last year) is going to dramatically increase the rarity of "good" diamonds, making this much more of a pay to win type of game (as if spending $100 on the digital deluxe isn't enough). Last year there were 26 live series diamonds and another 17 golds that will now be diamonds, thus your chances of pulling a 90-92 "diamond" is going to be nearly 40%. And since it doesn't sound like SDS increased the odds of pulling diamonds, what this means is that the good diamonds are going to be much more rare and much less obtainable by non-additional spending players of the game. This also likely means that the new diamonds are also going to have much less value in the marketplace, as though while rare, not many besides collectors will be willing to pay a huge premium for a 91 diamond vs an 88-89 gold. The only way for this move of diamonds down to 90+ rated cards is going to work out for the player community is going to be if SDS increased the odds of pulling a diamond to offset the decreased quality and increased quantity of diamonds.

There isn't going to be an increased quantity of diamonds. Getting to the 90 overall threshold this year will be the same as achieving a 93 overall last year. Every gold that was 90-92 last year won't automatically be a diamond this year. Some diamonds from last year may not even be a diamond to start this year. I like the change, a 90 overall card should be a very good card.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post
      There isn't going to be an increased quantity of diamonds. Getting to the 90 overall threshold this year will be the same as achieving a 93 overall last year. Every gold that was 90-92 last year won't automatically be a diamond this year. Some diamonds from last year may not even be a diamond to start this year. I like the change, a 90 overall card should be a very good card.
      So you think the number of diamonds will stay the same roughly to last year (about 26 in live series)?

Comment

Originally posted by GradektheBard View Post

So you think the number of diamonds will stay the same roughly to last year (about 26 in live series)?
        I think it will. For example, mookie, who was a 96 last year, I think I saw will be a 93 this year. It leaves more room for the truly upper tier legends to be great compared to the very good current live series cards. Like, mookie is a great player, but is he one of the all time greatest outfielders already (like a 96 rating indicates)?
        I think it is a simple scale back of the overalls.

Comment

I think it will. For example, mookie, who was a 96 last year, I think I saw will be a 93 this year. It leaves more room for the truly upper tier legends to be great compared to the very good current live series cards. Like, mookie is a great player, but is he one of the all time greatest outfielders already (like a 96 rating indicates)?
          I think it is a simple scale back of the overalls.
          This is correct. They mentioned in one of the streams that they were concerned that the number of 99 OVR's in the game diluted their prestige. So they scaled back ratings to make 99's truly superior to the rest of the cards in the game. To compensate, they re-categorized the cards to keep the number of each level around the same.
          Last edited by basetommyball; 03-16-2017, 07:58 AM. Reason: changed "game" to "same"

Comment

Originally posted by basetommyball View Post
            This is correct. They mentioned in one of the streams that they were concerned that the number of 99 OVR's in the game diluted their prestige. So they scaled back ratings to make 99's truly superior to the rest of the cards in the game. To compensate, they re-categorized the cards to keep the number of each level around the game.
            That would be better since it would likely keep the value up. I just hope they fix the ratings in general with a better weighting system (as much as I like him, no way live Lindor is only 1 point ovr worse than prime Ortiz for instance).

Comment

That would be better since it would likely keep the value up. I just hope they fix the ratings in general with a better weighting system (as much as I like him, no way live Lindor is only 1 point ovr worse than prime Ortiz for instance).
              Can't forget that Ortiz rating is based on being a first baseman, not a DH.

Comment

Completely agree with this.

Comment

Just to bring facts in: http://www.operationsports.com/featu...b-the-show-17/

This shows 32 live series diamonds, so number of live series diamonds up by 25% (likely making the collection missions much harder).

Comment

Just to bring facts in: http://www.operationsports.com/featu...b-the-show-17/

This shows 32 live series diamonds, so number of live series diamonds up by 25% (likely making the collection missions much harder).
                    Yea, I think the new players that are starting off diamond though should have probably turned diamond last year, or not lost their diamond status.

Arrieta
                    Lester
                    Cueto
                    Kluber
                    Harper
                    Betances
                    Chapman
                    Lindor
                    Seager

I guess we will have to see how short of a leash the newly minted diamonds have once the season starts.

Comment

It would be nice to see how they justify their ratings. As a Tigers fan, I went to view Ian Kinslers rating and notice that Altuve has better overall defensive rating. It's not hard to see Kinsler is superb defensively compared to Altuve.

Comment

Working...
                      X