How to handle prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle prospects

So I'm wondering the best way to handle young prospects as they improve through the years. For the sake of development, it best to have a young prospect who may be the second best player on the team at that position remain in AAA to get regular playing time like in real life, or does that not really matter in this game? I have a good, young 2B on the roster who is being blocked from regular playing time at the moment. I would love to bring him to the MLB team to upgrade my bench but I'm concerned if not getting regular ABs has a negative impact on player development or not in this game.

I've had the same thought process, but the one this game lacks is player progression. Players attributes decrease much faster than young player progress. It's the one thing that sucks and wasn't addressed for Franchise. I've drafted, traded for or signed really good players with "A" potential that don't progress through the years, and if they do, it's a slow rate.

Comment

The longer you go the worse they get. I'm just finishing my 8th season. The players are either all contact or all power. They cannot play defense to save their lives. And the top prospects take so long to develop they basically play 1 or 2 seasons and regress. Not to mention the relief pitcher becomes a dying breed. There are only a handful of them raked 80 or above or with potential B or A.

Comment

Yes, player progression and above all retirement REALLY needs to be scrapped and rebuilt entirely. A few years ago, high level prospects got good way too fast, and now it's the other way around!! And I really can't stand how early everyone retires now. I get that the trend is "30 is the new 40" in terms of the game getting younger, but players still producing don't retire!!! It just doesn't happen!!! In my franchise a couple weeks ago, Joe Mauer retired at age 34, and he just hit over .300 with 17 HRs and all his other numbers were solid! I looked through all his career stats and it was one of his best years with the bat!!! Even his ratings had not declined much at all. I simply cannot imagine a scenario like that happening with ANY MLB player! Nobody retires while they still are rocking it and at a fairly young age! Ortiz was what, 42 last year when he retired? Something like that. And Bartolo Colon and RA Dickey are both still pitching well into their 40s. Fernando Rodney just signed a new deal with Arizona and he's 39. Carlos Beltran is 40 or 41 and signed with Houston. NONE of this would EVER happen the way The Show is set up right now for both Franchise and RTTS modes. This is a very serious issue, IMO, and really breaks the realism of running a team or advancing your RTTS player. It sucks! Plus, then all these good, real players leave the agency pool and get replaced with a bunch of lame created randoms that simply aren't anywhere near as fun to play with.

Heck, one season, I signed Greg Holland and Kevin Jepsen in August to help out with my depleted bullpen and their injury fest. I'd signed them both to at least 3 years, and I think Holland for 4, because they each still had some solid ratings and would fit well in my bullpen. If they regressed too far, I figured I'd just release them and eat the money anyway, but neither was very old yet so it felt safe. WELL, after that season ended and I advanced to the offseason, BOTH OF THEM RETIRED!?!?!?!?! WTF??!?!?! I was so mad!!! I signed them both to several more years, and yet they were listed as "Poor Free Agent Market." I'm assuming it has something to do with games played or something that influenced how their programming picks players to retire based on not being signed.... But come on, this system is crap if it takes two solid players who have 2-3 more years under contract and sends them to retirement.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this gets addressed for MLB 18, because it definitely ruins realism and immersion if you end up going through many seasons. In a past year, someone showed me Clayton Kershaw retired at age 34 due to age as well. There is NO WAY this happens when he turns 34 in real life!!! SDS really needs to rethink this programming plan. I can't stand it. Otherwise, franchise mode is a blast!!!! But player progression surely is bothersome.

Comment

Originally posted by foxyloxy00 View Post
          Yes, player progression and above all retirement REALLY needs to be scrapped and rebuilt entirely. A few years ago, high level prospects got good way too fast, and now it's the other way around!! And I really can't stand how early everyone retires now. I get that the trend is "30 is the new 40" in terms of the game getting younger, but players still producing don't retire!!! It just doesn't happen!!! In my franchise a couple weeks ago, Joe Mauer retired at age 34, and he just hit over .300 with 17 HRs and all his other numbers were solid! I looked through all his career stats and it was one of his best years with the bat!!! Even his ratings had not declined much at all. I simply cannot imagine a scenario like that happening with ANY MLB player! Nobody retires while they still are rocking it and at a fairly young age! Ortiz was what, 42 last year when he retired? Something like that. And Bartolo Colon and RA Dickey are both still pitching well into their 40s. Fernando Rodney just signed a new deal with Arizona and he's 39. Carlos Beltran is 40 or 41 and signed with Houston. NONE of this would EVER happen the way The Show is set up right now for both Franchise and RTTS modes. This is a very serious issue, IMO, and really breaks the realism of running a team or advancing your RTTS player. It sucks! Plus, then all these good, real players leave the agency pool and get replaced with a bunch of lame created randoms that simply aren't anywhere near as fun to play with.

Heck, one season, I signed Greg Holland and Kevin Jepsen in August to help out with my depleted bullpen and their injury fest. I'd signed them both to at least 3 years, and I think Holland for 4, because they each still had some solid ratings and would fit well in my bullpen. If they regressed too far, I figured I'd just release them and eat the money anyway, but neither was very old yet so it felt safe. WELL, after that season ended and I advanced to the offseason, BOTH OF THEM RETIRED!?!?!?!?! WTF??!?!?! I was so mad!!! I signed them both to several more years, and yet they were listed as "Poor Free Agent Market." I'm assuming it has something to do with games played or something that influenced how their programming picks players to retire based on not being signed.... But come on, this system is crap if it takes two solid players who have 2-3 more years under contract and sends them to retirement.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this gets addressed for MLB 18, because it definitely ruins realism and immersion if you end up going through many seasons. In a past year, someone showed me Clayton Kershaw retired at age 34 due to age as well. There is NO WAY this happens when he turns 34 in real life!!! SDS really needs to rethink this programming plan. I can't stand it. Otherwise, franchise mode is a blast!!!! But player progression surely is bothersome.
          Have no fear, there are 22 new facial hair models, and the eyes have so much more life, texturing on uniforms make them look more realistic than ever. And the lighting on the grass is ridiculous, as you rotate you can see the variegation of color change depending on how the light hits it............................................This doesn't address any of your concerns? Did you not hear me say 22 new facial hair models all hand drawn?

Comment

And the shadows are perfect in August so who cares that Mike Trout is a 4th outfielder by age 30.

Originally posted by brandonbigtime View Post

Have no fear, there are 22 new facial hair models, and the eyes have so much more life, texturing on uniforms make them look more realistic than ever. And the lighting on the grass is ridiculous, as you rotate you can see the variegation of color change depending on how the light hits it............................................This doesn't address any of your concerns? Did you not hear me say 22 new facial hair models all hand drawn?

Comment

Working...
            X