Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My thoughts on the frustration that is hitting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on the frustration that is hitting...

So I've been playing The Show online for years now, but just starting playing DD this week and am hooked. Before this I had just played regular ranked games online and nothing else. I had a lot of stubs/cards/etc. that were accumulating all year, so I was able to put together a pretty decent team with all diamond and gold players relatively quickly once I figured out how everything worked.

Anyway, since I'm now hooked on playing and continuing to create a better squad, I've been playing a lot more than usual lately. I use zone hitting and am batting a respectable .275ish after 50 games or so on DD, averaging a little less than 1 home run per game. My issue is the frustration with the 5-10 times per game that I absolutely square up on a ball and it is popped up, grounded weakly or just downright missed. I played baseball for years and understand that just because you hit the ball well, it doesn't guarantee you success. I've researched several forums and YouTube videos to see what I need to do differently, and they are mainly tips on how to efficiently put the PCI where the ball is with the right timing, which is what I'm already doing. I understand the game takes many things into consideration such as the count, the pitchers confidence, the hitter and pitcher's attributes, etc., but when I go 1 2 3 in an inning after squaring up 3 straight balls it drives me insane. Even if they are on the first pitch. Earlier today I had a pitch basically right down the middle that I hit with power (using prime Texiera) that could not have been hit any better. The count was in my favor and the pitcher had medium confidence, and it was just a lazy fly ball to right field. Am I wrong in saying that this should be a home run the majority of the time? Stop torturing me San Diego Studios.

Overall, one of the main things I enjoy about playing the game is how realistic it is most of the time (minus the bunt glitching, fielders sometimes taking forever to throw, etc.). My favorite games to play in are the ones that are the most realistic. Games where there isn't an excess of anything such as home runs, bunts, stolen bases, content balls in the dirt, etc. Just a good solid baseball game. So as I mentioned earier, I hit for about a .275 average or about 8-10 hits per game, which is right on par with real life. However, due to my recent frustration I am getting maybe 2 or 3 hits per game via bunting as well, because it is just too hard to get hits sometimes. I don't want to be a bunter. I think it's lame and taking advatage of a glitch, which is why they are making changes for 2017 as they are recognizing that its way too easy.

So really I think I just needed to vent after my recent frustrations. None of my friends play The Show, so they proabably wouldn't be too interested in anything I just mentioned, and most of you reading this proably aren't either. But at least I know that you get it. I'm looking forward to the new version of the game coming out next month and curious to see the improvements they make. Ok, rant over.
    Last edited by rufus1121; 02-15-2017, 11:17 PM.

I feel you. There are sometimes (often) where the feedback you get on a no doubt HR was a worse pci placement than a ball you popped up to the catcher two at-bats ago. It's really baffling and frustrating sometimes. In "game on the line" situations, it can be even more frustrating. I have had the same pci placement result in swing and misses for strike 3, and be HRs. I hope the major inconsistency is fixed with the new ball physics in 17 ... hoping.

Comment

I see a lot of balls squared go for outs early in the game especially. It appears as though the outcomes are a bit too weighted on ratings. Maybe balls that are hit hard for outs should lower confidence, much like throwing balls and walking people. It would be more realistic; pitchers that start getting hit hard get tentative (lower confidence).
      Last edited by IIIDiscoIII; 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Last time I came back for a game I was so laughing how ridiculous the late timing is while batting. There is no 1:1 input/response while batting. Idk and idc if it's the lack of Gaming Moniter/Lag/VisualDesynch/Gamemode TV setting... a Baseball game is just no fun if you can't catch up to a ball swinging when you are supposed to. I was playing while chatting with a buddy and he was telling me to swing earlier, he was crushing btw. You shouldn't have to swing un-naturally early just to make decent contact... or buy a gaming monitor or anyother type gimmick/crutch.

#MakeHittingGreatAgain

Comment

Originally posted by DomeBay33 View Post
          Last time I came back for a game I was so laughing how ridiculous the late timing is while batting. There is no 1:1 input/response while batting. Idk and idc if it's the lack of Gaming Moniter/Lag/VisualDesynch/Gamemode TV setting... a Baseball game is just no fun if you can't catch up to a ball swinging when you are supposed to. I was playing while chatting with a buddy and he was telling me to swing earlier, he was crushing btw. You shouldn't have to swing un-naturally early just to make decent contact... or buy a gaming monitor or anyother type gimmick/crutch.

#MakeHittingGreatAgain
          This i disagree with. There is nothing the developers can do if you don't want to switch your TV to game mode. Different devices have different input lag and there is nothing that can do about that other than for you to do your research before you buy something.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan_1029 View Post

This i disagree with. There is nothing the developers can do if you don't want to switch your TV to game mode. Different devices have different input lag and there is nothing that can do about that other than for you to do your research before you buy something.

My point wasn't to say that devs should eliminate a need for Game mode. I'm hardwired and on game mode, using analog grips... the only thing I don't have is the monitor. I tried playing on a 24" Samsung TV and timing was still bad. They tweak the hitting timing every year, but these last two have been progressively harder for to catch up to pitches, while playing online.

IMO the hitting has degraded with the easier interfaces being allowed online. They have to up the difficulty to balance hitting for people just pressing X or moving the R stick up only... in essence they have BEEN nerfing hitting. If they majorly improved physics, animations, controls and standardized the interfaces allowed then we could just put the bat on the ball and let real Baseball unfold. Not RNG attributes based simulations played out by pretty animations.
            Last edited by DomeBay33; 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeBay33 View Post

My point wasn't to say that devs should eliminate a need for Game mode. I'm hardwired and on game mode, using analog grips... the only thing I don't have is the monitor. I tried playing on a 24" Samsung TV and timing was still bad. They tweak the hitting timing every year, but these last two have been progressively harder for to catch up to pitches, while playing online.

IMO the hitting has degraded with the easier interfaces being allowed online. They have to up the difficulty to balance hitting for people just pressing X or moving the R stick up only... in essence they have BEEN nerfing hitting. If they majorly improved physics, animations, controls and standardized the interfaces allowed then we could just put the bat on the ball and let real Baseball unfold. Not RNG attributes based simulations played out by pretty animations.
              I agree with you on everything but the hitting timing. I think it should stay difficult to catch up to fast fastballs. I mean, there are all star level pros that have been playing for 20 years who still get a 97mph fastball thrown by them regularly if they aren't looking for it. That is what makes chapman the most sought after reliever in the real world ... because 104mph is on the border of what is humanly possible to react to.

Comment

The original post perfectly captures my experience as well. The worst part about the game is the inconsistency in hitting. There are games where it seems like I have been pre-determined to be in a slump. I will have to play my butt off just to get 2-3 hits. Other games I can get 12-13 hits without really trying.... Why the difference? Who knows?!?!?!?

I think the biggest fault in this game is that at-bat outcomes take in WAY too many factors in determining the outcome of a swing. It really burns me up when I play those games and you know in the 2nd or 3rd inning you have been destined to lose for whatever reason. And the fact that you don't know why you can't do squat at the plate is all the more frustrating.

Long story short, player skill seems to be just 1 of 25 factors used to determine if you get a hit or not, instead of being the primary factor. Whatever algorithm is used to determine if players are hot or in a slump, please get rid of it. It makes me feel like more of bystander in the game than a person who can actually affect the outcome.
                Last edited by k1ghtmare; 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X