This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Cheese.........SDS PLEASE READ

So I don't make many posts on this forum...but after yesterday's stream I'd like to post my opinion. I'm completely aware that R2 was conceived as a way for the batter to combat quick pitching. I've been playing this game for a while now....about 2 years. I'm not an elite top tier player and never will be cuz I quit too many games due to cheese. I play this game cuz I love baseball and wanna have quality gameplay. I feel as though I can hold my own with most people I play against. I believe the edge one may gain by "quick pitching" is very minimal if there is any edge at all. I've played opponents that are ready to hit and it doesn't matter what you throw up there or how fast or slow it is, if it's over the plate it's gonna get parked over the fence. Everyone knows that R2 has been taken advantage of and exploited as a way to directly influence the accuracy of the opposing pitcher. In no way, shape or form is this fair. I can tell immediately if they are pressing R2, and at that point I step off the rubber. I will continue to step off everytime they press R2. But as we all know, there is a finite amount of times you can step off the rubber. At that point, the advantage goes to the R2 coward. It is ridiculous to me, that SDS has this knowledge and has chosen to do absolutely NOTHING about it. I mean if you're gonna leave it in the game, at the very least the pitcher should be able to step off the rubber an unlimited amount of times. They do nothing about this, but they change the matchup screen so you can't see if you're facing a right handed or left hander lol?? That in and of itself isn't a huge issue to me cuz i prefer having a balanced lineup. However it is incredibly unrealistic. In real life you know who you're facing the next day. But let's leave R2 in the game so we can influence our opponents accuracy??? Come on man??? SDS.......you have the best sports game on the market, it's a shame you don't realize it. I was a pretty good customer and you have lost my business due to this. I'll still play an occasional game, but you've lost my business.

While understand your frustrations about the R2 cheese, I do disagree to a point.

As a person that doesn't play against other humans often, I did find it very annoying that after they threw a pitch, I had almost no time to have a runner on base take a further lead and real difficulty being able to press L2 after L1 to steal.
    O's, Stroh's, and Natty Boh's Hon

Comment

I can respect that. And perhaps I didn't give SDS the props I should have on their efforts to eliminate the bunt cheese. Well done.

Comment

SDS addressing bunt cheese was huge. I couldn't stand playing other people because of that. That's why I only played 2 online games in 16. This news will bring me back especially with programs and the other rewards.

Hopefully your issue will be address in '18 as I don't see any signs of this being addressed for '17.
        O's, Stroh's, and Natty Boh's Hon

Comment

Honestly, bunt cheese was suuuuuper easy to counter. Bunt coverage and move the 2B in, 9/10 you get the out

Comment

While quick pitching doesn't necessarily bother me, as I'm ready to play, it is super annoying when you get late in the game and you want to pinch hit for your pitcher and you have to start 0-1 because they pitch before I can go to the pause menu.

Comment

That is true. It's also super annoying when you're in a well played close game, get to the 9th, and here comes the R2 cheese and I can't pitch. Then when I'm no longer able to step off.......it ends up in a wild pitch or a meatball down the middle. You're point is valid but I myself rarely experience that.

Comment

seems like an easy fix though, give an option 7th inning on when your pitcher comes up to ask if you want to pinch hit just like they already do in other modes.

Comment

I completely agree!

Comment

I don't think R2 was invented for what you think it was. I have played this game for 10 years, and have played maybe 5 on-line games. R2 is so you can study what the pitcher is doing to you, or give yourself a moment if you need it. I do mean in player-vs.-cpu games.

I only say this because your opening makes it seems as though this was invented for an on-line delay tactic. This might be how it is used, but that is not why it was invented. It was invented to study pitch history of the current AB (or last AB for current player before new AB begins).

I find it infinitely valuable as a tool, and use it constantly. Again, I don't play on-line.

As a side note:
                    Honestly, I wish they wouldn't tailor any parts of the game because of on-line. Carl Furrillo used to play really shallow in RF at the Polo Grounds to become an OF/IF and throw people out at first with his incredible arm. This used to be possible in-game, but because so many idiots apparently used this as an on-line exploit, the developers made the 1st baseman stop going to first on an outfield hit to right.

This does happen in real life, I've seen players in MLB thrown out at first when getting a single to right and lolly-gagging it down the baseline. You CANNOT do that in-game now because of a stupid on-line exploit. Those are about the only kind of things that hurt any development they give to this game. A lot of people are "off-line" only players, I wish they would never interfere in that aspect because of on-line exploits. A real life occurrence taken out of the game due to on-line exploitation, now that (mr. trump) is 'very sad'!!!

(total ps- freaky as it is, every like 1 out of 1,000 times it does work in-game...even though they took it out, I still through to first on a screaming line drive to right just on principle, and once every so, so often, the 1B WILL cover first and I get the out. I bet I've had it like 3 times since they took it out...most of the time it is a complete waste, but it has worked those few times. HHAAHAHAHAHA, on-line nerfing developers, I still got you 3 times.....victory!!!)
                    Last edited by Sunjah; 02-24-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunjah View Post
                      I don't think R2 was invented for what you think it was. I have played this game for 10 years, and have played maybe 5 on-line games. R2 is so you can study what the pitcher is doing to you, or give yourself a moment if you need it. I do mean in player-vs.-cpu games.

I only say this because your opening makes it seems as though this was invented for an on-line delay tactic. This might be how it is used, but that is not why it was invented. It was invented to study pitch history of the current AB (or last AB for current player before new AB begins).

I find it infinitely valuable as a tool, and use it constantly. Again, I don't play on-line.

As a side note:
                      Honestly, I wish they wouldn't tailor any parts of the game because of on-line. Carl Furrillo used to play really shallow in RF at the Polo Grounds to become an OF/IF and throw people out at first with his incredible arm. This used to be possible in-game, but because so many idiots apparently used this as an on-line exploit, the developers made the 1st baseman stop going to first on an outfield hit to right.

This does happen in real life, I've seen players in MLB thrown out at first when getting a single to right and lolly-gagging it down the baseline. You CANNOT do that in-game now because of a stupid on-line exploit. Those are about the only kind of things that hurt any development they give to this game. A lot of people are "off-line" only players, I wish they would never interfere in that aspect because of on-line exploits. A real life occurrence taken out of the game due to on-line exploitation, now that (mr. trump) is 'very sad'!!!

(total ps- freaky as it is, every like 1 out of 1,000 times it does work in-game...even though they took it out, I still through to first on a screaming line drive to right just on principle, and once every so, so often, the 1B WILL cover first and I get the out. I bet I've had it like 3 times since they took it out...most of the time it is a complete waste, but it has worked those few times. HHAAHAHAHAHA, on-line nerfing developers, I still got you 3 times.....victory!!!)

It was invented because they took away the batter being able to call time out. It would freeze the game online. So they put in the R2 feature. It buys the hitter some time to regroup/focus. From my own experience, I think I've only had one guy abuse it on me. If someone starts to use it too much, I really slow down my pitching, then they stop using it. Exactly how it was meant to work. So I have no problem with it. And if I need to slow my opponent down, I use it, especially with runners on because that's when people tend to fast pitch.

Comment

I'm refraining from buying stubs till they put it back or actually fix it. This is worse than not having stats on back of cards. They preach lineup diversity. Not seeing the handedness of opponents pitcher makes so many cards obsolete. Lineups will be very similar with this debacle.

Comment

And I was goin to buy a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by thinkbluedgr View Post

It was invented because they took away the batter being able to call time out. It would freeze the game online. So they put in the R2 feature. It buys the hitter some time to regroup/focus. From my own experience, I think I've only had one guy abuse it on me. If someone starts to use it too much, I really slow down my pitching, then they stop using it. Exactly how it was meant to work. So I have no problem with it. And if I need to slow my opponent down, I use it, especially with runners on because that's when people tend to fast pitch.
                            I haven't played MLB 11 in 5 years, MLB 12 in 4 years, MLB 13 in 3 years...I think the idea is there, but it has been there since I have played this game. It was never invented for on-line play. Maybe they put it there because they needed to replace something (the time out you spoke of), but it was put there to analyze the history of the AB.

I wish they made MLB 17 The Show, and MLB 17 The Show Online. When they change things in the game because of on-line (as my throw from RF to 1B example above), it often has a negative effect on the game.

I would love this game if it didn't have On-line.

Comment

If you've only played 5 online games you have no clue what I'm talking about. It makes throwing an accurate pitch extremely difficult. If they wanna keep it that's fine, but at least allow the pitcher to step off and reset an unlimited amount of times. I was gonna buy a battleship full of stubs but not a chance now.

Also I think they missed the boat with taking away the handedness of your opponent. It will make a lot of cards useless and will backfire on them and cost them profits. They really dropped the ball on that. One step forward, two steps back. Smh

Comment

Working...
                              X