The amount of WALKS...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amount of WALKS...

Hopefully a developer will be able to chime in on this one, but watching the stream yesterday made me once again wonder about the only thing NO baseball game has ever done well...the amount of walks in user played games. I don't think they even got to a 3-ball count while playing yesterday, and yes I know they were trying to show the game off, but unfortunately, this is what happens in the a lot of real games vs. CPU, and any on-line games I have ever played (a handful only).

I can draw walks, I often do (and I am referring to playing off-line, vs. CPU), but the amount of walks I give up is ALWAYS low...usually way lower than league average. I am currently playing a roster of "Legend Teams", and I am the Devil Rays (collection of Negro League Greats). I am in the division with Yanks (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra), Red Sox (Williams, Rice, Boggs, Doerr, Evans, Fisk, Yaz), Orioles (Robinson, Ripken, Murray, Williams [StL. Brown's star], Sisler [same]) and Blue Jays (Alomar, Donaldson, McGriff, Bautista, Bell) so there are some powerhouse players.

I lead the league in fewest walks given up. I am about 2 weeks from the end of the season, about 145 games played. I think I have some 280 walks, the next closest team is around 400, then they all go up from there.

This is the only real thing I think the game does incorrectly. It is too easy NOT to give up walks as a pitcher.

I have played probably a total of 8 or 9 full 162-game seasons over the years, and almost always the individual pitchers who give up walks is my team leading almost every spot by a huge margin. My guys might have 12, 15, 16, 19 and 29 walks all season, and one other guy had 24...just as an example. The "fewest walks per 9" is DOMINATED by my staff.

Everything else in the game is done so well, I will never understand why user teams give up WAY TOO LITTLE walks. In the league reference above, Ruth has 45 HR's, Mantle 41, DiMaggio 36, and my controlled Josh Gibson has 34. All VERY believable for near end to a season. My Gibson has 114 RBI, Ruth has 101, and no one else cracked 100 yet, also quite realistic. Ted Williams and Gehrig are fighting for BA title at around .335, I think Gehrig was leading but I shut him down last weekend and Williams was in lead at last check. Stargell is leading with 41 HR's and 108 RBI in the NL.

So much work seems to be done in every facet of this game, except walks that USERs give up to CPU.

I also notice that in any game I have played, or seen played by others (like twitch game examples on stream, or developer's tournaments), a 3 ball count is virtually non-existent if you play with "NON-fast counts" (so, normal counts). A walk, well, it is almost completely not a factor in the game.

That is not baseball. Do not get me wrong, this game, 100%, dominates all others ever made. I always thought High-Heat 1999-2004 was the best series ever, until this one. I've played them all, back to mid-80's Earl Weaver Baseball (a truly innovative, wonder of a game), but NO GAME, including this one, has ever done the dreaded base-on-balls correctly in user played games.

I cannot say that I know "the" fix, but just having pitches randomly miss the strike zone when NOT wanted would seem so much more realistic. I have accuracy/consistency lowered all the way for myself and CPU, yet I still dominate in NOT giving up walks year-after year-after year...

One thing that does do, though, instead of increasing walks, is that it increases the amount of balls IN the strike zone that go where I don't want them to, so instead of more walks, it usually means more "meatballs" and screaming line drives. That's not what I am shooting for.

I often will go an entire game with 0 or 1 walk. I draw them, usually a lot, 4 or 5, maybe 6 a game. I work the count, constantly and religiously. The CPU often gets 1 a game. That is the only "NOT REAL" aspect of the game that I find consistently, it just isn't how baseball works.

Every year, I hope this is the main focus. It usually is never even mentioned.

I hope that in 2018, true batter/pitcher experience is the mantra...as I said, don't get me wrong, this game ROCKS, 100% best baseball game ever and only improves each year.

I just wish WALKS would become REALISTIC!!!
    Last edited by Sunjah; 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM. Reason: edited for grammar

You're right. Walks - or lack thereof - have been an issue in baseball video games forever. I heard the argument that walks are boring, but if we are going for realism, just allow for fewer or no walks via slider settings. As it is now, I have to set CPU control sliders all the way down to zero in order to draw even a few walks here and there.
    -And I don't give up any walks either. It's far to easy to control pitches.

Comment

See, that is the thing...I draw walks all the time. My problem is that I almost never give them up. I am very patient at the plate, but it is the "far to easy to control pitchers" part that I wish something would be done about.

Boring? The person that said that is in the wrong sport, and doesn't understand winning baseball. Patience at the plate (something walks are a by-product of) is the key to the game.

Comment

Victor, Nick...any developers have any thing to say on this one?

Comment

Also you will notice players have a tendency of not pitching realistically. I mean,in real life a pitcher who has a 3 ball count to a hitter will not give in with 1st base open. They would rather walk that guy then give up an extra base hit. Where as on the game that is almost NEVER the case. Guys will throw whatever to make sure it hits the zone and it probably gets ripped. In online DD games you can usually get guys to chase those pitches especially 3-2, but offline against cpu, or in real life baseball, they will be more selective.

Comment

Throw more balls then? Lol

There is not many walks playing online because people hack at everything. There are PLENTY at bats where 4+ balls are thrown, but people swing at 3 of them.

Comment

No, this has NOTHING to do with online. I am talking about the game, not runny-nosed eight year olds.

Honestly, I would love if they made a game without on-line. That does emphasize my point though, it changes the structure of the game with the approach of "swing at everything." That is NOT Major League Baseball. The late 90's Yankees, the Mid-2000 Red Sox, these guys were made by walking and pushing the count. Kevin Millar saved Boston by walking when Roberts came on and stole and then changed everything in the '04 ALCS.

It was a walk that started all of it.

By the way, in NO WAY, NONE what-so-ever, did this have anything to do with online.

I meant the game. Online is horrid, never want to play, played a few times in almost a decade, and I think it is usually a wasted. I was referring to the game, the lack of walks, and that it is the one ting holdind this game from truly capturing baseball.

Comment

What level do you pitch on and where do you rank in hits allowed and strikeouts? Maybe you said this in the post. I didn't read the whole thing

Comment

Originally posted by Sunjah View Post
                  Hopefully a developer will be able to chime in on this one, but watching the stream yesterday made me once again wonder about the only thing NO baseball game has ever done well...the amount of walks in user played games. I don't think they even got to a 3-ball count while playing yesterday, and yes I know they were trying to show the game off, but unfortunately, this is what happens in the a lot of real games vs. CPU, and any on-line games I have ever played (a handful only).

I can draw walks, I often do (and I am referring to playing off-line, vs. CPU), but the amount of walks I give up is ALWAYS low...usually way lower than league average. I am currently playing a roster of "Legend Teams", and I am the Devil Rays (collection of Negro League Greats). I am in the division with Yanks (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra), Red Sox (Williams, Rice, Boggs, Doerr, Evans, Fisk, Yaz), Orioles (Robinson, Ripken, Murray, Williams [StL. Brown's star], Sisler [same]) and Blue Jays (Alomar, Donaldson, McGriff, Bautista, Bell) so there are some powerhouse players.

I lead the league in fewest walks given up. I am about 2 weeks from the end of the season, about 145 games played. I think I have some 280 walks, the next closest team is around 400, then they all go up from there.

This is the only real thing I think the game does incorrectly. It is too easy NOT to give up walks as a pitcher.

I have played probably a total of 8 or 9 full 162-game seasons over the years, and almost always the individual pitchers who give up walks is my team leading almost every spot by a huge margin. My guys might have 12, 15, 16, 19 and 29 walks all season, and one other guy had 24...just as an example. The "fewest walks per 9" is DOMINATED by my staff.

Everything else in the game is done so well, I will never understand why user teams give up WAY TOO LITTLE walks. In the league reference above, Ruth has 45 HR's, Mantle 41, DiMaggio 36, and my controlled Josh Gibson has 34. All VERY believable for near end to a season. My Gibson has 114 RBI, Ruth has 101, and no one else cracked 100 yet, also quite realistic. Ted Williams and Gehrig are fighting for BA title at around .335, I think Gehrig was leading but I shut him down last weekend and Williams was in lead at last check. Stargell is leading with 41 HR's and 108 RBI in the NL.

So much work seems to be done in every facet of this game, except walks that USERs give up to CPU.

I also notice that in any game I have played, or seen played by others (like twitch game examples on stream, or developer's tournaments), a 3 ball count is virtually non-existent if you play with "NON-fast counts" (so, normal counts). A walk, well, it is almost completely not a factor in the game.

That is not baseball. Do not get me wrong, this game, 100%, dominates all others ever made. I always thought High-Heat 1999-2004 was the best series ever, until this one. I've played them all, back to mid-80's Earl Weaver Baseball (a truly innovative, wonder of a game), but NO GAME, including this one, has ever done the dreaded base-on-balls correctly in user played games.

I cannot say that I know "the" fix, but just having pitches randomly miss the strike zone when NOT wanted would seem so much more realistic. I have accuracy/consistency lowered all the way for myself and CPU, yet I still dominate in NOT giving up walks year-after year-after year...

One thing that does do, though, instead of increasing walks, is that it increases the amount of balls IN the strike zone that go where I don't want them to, so instead of more walks, it usually means more "meatballs" and screaming line drives. That's not what I am shooting for.

I often will go an entire game with 0 or 1 walk. I draw them, usually a lot, 4 or 5, maybe 6 a game. I work the count, constantly and religiously. The CPU often gets 1 a game. That is the only "NOT REAL" aspect of the game that I find consistently, it just isn't how baseball works.

Every year, I hope this is the main focus. It usually is never even mentioned.

I hope that in 2018, true batter/pitcher experience is the mantra...as I said, don't get me wrong, this game ROCKS, 100% best baseball game ever and only improves each year.

I just wish WALKS would become REALISTIC!!!
                  Turn off all pitching aides, ball marker off, strike zone off, vibration off and watch walks start to come or get hit hard due to leaving ball over the plate

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...39&postcount=1

Comment

Pitch on legend difficulty and this problem will be solved real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by HustlinOwl View Post

Turn off all pitching aides, ball marker off, strike zone off, vibration off and watch walks start to come or get hit hard due to leaving ball over the plate

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...39&postcount=1
                      Originally posted by JPinstripe View Post
                      Pitch on legend difficulty and this problem will be solved real quick.
                      I appreciate the feedback, but that is not the problem. Both of these solutions do one thing, cause you to get hit very hard (wild IN the strike zone).

Say you play with everything set at 50%, level 5, normal, neutral or whatever it is labeled, the game should have more than 1.0 to 1.5 walks for a user-controlled team per game. My season, 10 games away from being over, and my guys play with 1.4 walks a game. It just isn't realistic.

I don't want to get hit harder, I just want a true amount of walks (I find on fast counts, when sometimes 1 pitch will get a walk, it seems much more realistic...seem to average 2 to 3 a game at least) (trouble is, I would absolutely prefer to play with normal counts).

This game is awesome, best ever, but the one thing any baseball game has ALWAYS failed on is making the amount of walks realistic. If it were, these on-line "games" wouldn't have 0 walks per side.

Comment

Well then pitch around the zone and WALK MORE BATTERS. C'mon man. smh

Comment

Originally posted by PurpAndGold89 View Post
                          lol exactly

Comment

Originally posted by PurpAndGold89 View Post

Why is it that when people have NOTHING whatsoever to add to a comment or conversation, they still feel they HAVE to comment.

It was not about me purposefully throwing more balls, it was about the fact that no video game has ever accurately reflected this correctly for baseball (or even near correctly). You could've easily ignored this thread, or NOT written anything.

Got to say Hustlin', it surprises me you would join in with that same attitude. This ain't OS (thank god). You are usually a nice, helpful guy.
                            Last edited by Sunjah; 03-02-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Ok, here I'll tell you SOMETHING. Pitching actually is about purposefully throwing more balls sometimes. Pitch carefully to dangerous hitters no matter what the count is. Aim for a spot that won't leave the ball over the middle of the plate if you miss your accuracy. Turn the difficulty up to legend and become a pitcher. Stop being a thrower.

Comment

Working...
                              X