Harold and Dan!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold and Dan!!!

Yessss I'm so excited about this. I was really hoping Harold Reynolds would be one of the new announcers. Thank you!!!!

1) A three man booth doesnt work
    2) You have an MLB Network agreement and no highlight show?
    3) Harold Reynolds? really?
    4) Youre using the exact same format Player A talks about pitching, Player B talks about position players, Its NOT the broadcasters fault the format and scripts are the same with the same format. I thought Kirby knew better after they let go of the last guy.

This game is great, but after time and time again at failing with commentary you'd think there would be drastic measures taken to completely overhaul it, not just new broadcasters. After year one we'll be back to square one from the looks of it, overused phrases, boring commentary etc.

Finally just saying these things because I care, more years of blocking commentary isnt fun. MLB 2k could make it good in 2 years, it was literally the only part that was better and that was 5 years ago, I just dont get why the show hasnt adapted or brought in someone who can really take a fresh look at things from an audio perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashDavis21 View Post
      4) Youre using the exact same format Player A talks about pitching, Player B talks about position players, Its NOT the broadcasters fault the format and scripts are the same with the same format. I thought Kirby knew better after they let go of the last guy.

This game is great, but after time and time again at failing with commentary you'd think there would be drastic measures taken to completely overhaul it, not just new broadcasters. After year one we'll be back to square one from the looks of it, overused phrases, boring commentary etc.

Finally just saying these things because I care, more years of blocking commentary isnt fun. MLB 2k could make it good in 2 years, it was literally the only part that was better and that was 5 years ago, I just dont get why the show hasnt adapted or brought in someone who can really take a fresh look at things from an audio perspective.

Today was a 2 minute teaser more to come on the stream on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by fsh8675301 View Post

Fair, we dont know enough, but that 2 minutes was very uninspiring to a more than decade long fan of the series. I hope thursday brings out some other aspects we didnt get to see. Show track and MLB theme was nice, hopefully the "theme 1&2" can maybe a custom presentation of sorts, thats the main shred of hope

Comment

@Crash

Not to be a contrarian jerk or anything, but you don't know how good the commentary in The Show is by industry standards.

In RTTS, there is a lot of commentary focused on the minor leagues, and they update it--perhaps not as assiduously as they do for the majors, but they do update it.

In contrast: Go pick up NHL 16 out of a bargain bin, start a new toon in Be A Pro, play a few games and note what you're hearing (and seeing, in pre-game). Now go rent NHL 17, and do the same. What's different? Well, they added a few phrases for NHL milestones, and...and...well...that's about the only difference I can detect.

And the kicker is that, in the career mode, if you want to start with a decent build, you pretty much have to slog through a season or two in junior (or even three, if you can endure the Ontario League grindfest), and the presentation in junior is so stripped down that the commentary ends up making errors of fact.

How long does it take to get to the draft? If you do the full three seasons in the OHL, you're looking at 204 regular season games. And it's harder to miss the OHL playoffs than it is to make them: fully 80% of the teams qualify. So, four rounds, best of 7, means another 48 games if you sweep all three years, 84 if you go the distance. So, 252 to 288 games in the OHL, but wait, there's more. Now add in the Memorial Cup, which adds 9 to 15 additional games; it's a Page playoff, which means 12 games if you run the table in all 3 seasons. So, you may end up sinking 300 games into junior before you even see the Entry Draft. Fail to impress in the preseason, and back to junior you go, for another full season. (And no, they don't have year to year saves. That would make sense, and this is EA, so that's not gonna happen.)

And all the while you're, say, slogging 'long in Saginaw, you're listening to commentary that was written for the bigs, and has the in-depth stuff stripped out for the junior leagues. AND which has not gotten much new material since they switched to Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk, and got rid of Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, and, more to the point, the eight editions' worth of material that those two had compiled.

You think The Show is, and I quote, "time and time again failing with commentary"? Man, go lace up some virtual skates, get a toon drafted #1 that you started as a 15-year-old in the OHL, and then get back to me.

You don't know spoiled you are with the commentary in The Show.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedCloak View Post
            @Crash

Not to be a contrarian jerk or anything, but you don't know how good the commentary in The Show is by industry standards.

In RTTS, there is a lot of commentary focused on the minor leagues, and they update it--perhaps not as assiduously as they do for the majors, but they do update it.

In contrast: Go pick up NHL 16 out of a bargain bin, start a new toon in Be A Pro, play a few games and note what you're hearing (and seeing, in pre-game). Now go rent NHL 17, and do the same. What's different? Well, they added a few phrases for NHL milestones, and...and...well...that's about the only difference I can detect.

And the kicker is that, in the career mode, if you want to start with a decent build, you pretty much have to slog through a season or two in junior (or even three, if you can endure the Ontario League grindfest), and the presentation in junior is so stripped down that the commentary ends up making errors of fact.

How long does it take to get to the draft? If you do the full three seasons in the OHL, you're looking at 204 regular season games. And it's harder to miss the OHL playoffs than it is to make them: fully 80% of the teams qualify. So, four rounds, best of 7, means another 48 games if you sweep all three years, 84 if you go the distance. So, 252 to 288 games in the OHL, but wait, there's more. Now add in the Memorial Cup, which adds 9 to 15 additional games; it's a Page playoff, which means 12 games if you run the table in all 3 seasons. So, you may end up sinking 300 games into junior before you even see the Entry Draft. Fail to impress in the preseason, and back to junior you go, for another full season. (And no, they don't have year to year saves. That would make sense, and this is EA, so that's not gonna happen.)

And all the while you're, say, slogging 'long in Saginaw, you're listening to commentary that was written for the bigs, and has the in-depth stuff stripped out for the junior leagues. AND which has not gotten much new material since they switched to Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk, and got rid of Gary Thorne, Bill Clement, and, more to the point, the eight editions' worth of material that those two had compiled.

You think The Show is, and I quote, "time and time again failing with commentary"? Man, go lace up some virtual skates, get a toon drafted #1 that you started as a 15-year-old in the OHL, and then get back to me.

Theres definitely worse out there, I actually did own NHL 15 but skipped this years, you're right. however what if NHL 16 lets say had a decent team of announcers but the same lines until the year 2028, the only real difference was the voices, not dialogue really even, and hockey was your #1 leaps and bounds over other games, you would have a legitimate gripe. I hear what youre saying and in the end its just commentary which is least important, but just seemed as though we were in for a big change and SO FAR from the first glimpse it looks very very similar and its dissapointing. Not to mention you get a guy (Reynolds) who has webpages dedicated to how terrible he is, and not to mention him being fired from ESPN for sexual harassment (not that that has much to do with commentating)

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedCloak View Post
              @Crash

NHL 17 is $20 in the PSN store and I was considering buying it. This guy just talked me out of it.

Comment

Not to mention you get a guy (Reynolds) who has webpages dedicated to how terrible he is
                I honestly don't care what other people say about Reynolds. I don't let other people's opinions shape my own. I personally really enjoy his insights on MLB Tonight; I think his energy is refreshing and fun. It's like listening to a little kid talk about something they're excited about. He gets all worked up and it's fun to listen to. I'm excited that they're adding him and Plesac.

Comment

So, let me get this straight.....There are TWO options for playing in franchise mode. The originial with Karros/Lyons and the new one with Plesac/Reynolds? There's no restrictions if you use the MLB Network broadcast?

Comment

Originally posted by fsh8675301 View Post

, same crap, new announcers. Ironically Harold who in real life is pretty bad, sounds best. Dan's barely in it and Matt still sounds like the same robot unlike he does in real life.
                    Last edited by CrashDavis21; 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jim416 View Post
                      So, let me get this straight.....There are TWO options for playing in franchise mode. The originial with Karros/Lyons and the new one with Plesac/Reynolds? There's no restrictions if you use the MLB Network broadcast?
                      Nope....Lyons and Karros gone as far as I can tell
                      CATCH ME ON TWITCH.TV (live or archived) DOING MLB THE SHOW FRANCHISE at www.twitch.tv/Amish_guy_in_mn

Comment

Originally posted by jim416 View Post
                        Karros and Lyons are gone it's Dan, Harold and Matty V. You can choose different packages of commentary like hybrid and if you want can turn off Harold or Dan or mute them.

Comment

Originally posted by dibuono17 View Post

Karros and Lyons are gone it's Dan, Harold and Matty V. You can choose different packages of commentary like hybrid and if you want can turn off Harold or Dan or mute them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Haven't been following everything going on, etc. I usually play with the commentary off and have a lot of SOS built into the game. I'll give this a try this year. I'm not quite sure why there must be a 3 man booth though. Seems it would be hard to program. I could handle a one man booth (Scully did it). But, at least there's some change this year. Matt still has to go though. All in all though really liking what I'm seeing about this years version.

Comment

@Easy

My point there was that the commentary in The Show series is worlds above other franchises. Yes, the commentary in NHL 17's career mode is nothing to write home about, IN JUNIOR. Once you're in the bigs, it kicks up SEVERAL notches. And even with mediocre commentary, the rest of the experience is solid enough: blazingly fast load-ins and outs, clear instructions on what the coach wants you to do next, and so on.

If it's available at $20, GET IT. In the interest of disclosure, I'm slightly partial to Thorne and Clement: the former works for my adopted hometown Orioles, the latter once wore the C for the Caps, and Emrick's sometimes squeaky tenor isn't exactly my cup of crab bisque. So, don't disown the infant after you drain the tub. NHL 17 is serviceable enough, even if the commentary is a few call-ups short of The Show.

Comment

Apparently you didn't watch the stream. There are more than 140,000 new lines and Both Harold and Dan added some adlib lines. That means commentary that has never been in the the show games before. Please be informed before making statement with no basis. In other words put mind in gear before mouth in motion.

Comment

Working...
                              X