Anyone else not get the fuss about packs, stubs, cards etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else not get the fuss about packs, stubs, cards etc

All this talk of packs, stubs, cards, pre-order promos, captains etc - anyone elses eyes glaze over reading about this stuff? Like I get the appeal of DD, but if you can only have 25 players in a team whats the point of collecting hundreds of cards? And buying them for that matter? I must be missing something. Is it generally considered an enjoyable experience to collect electronic trading cards?

I just like playing franchise and rtts - to have stubs and all that stuff incorporated into these modes - its just noise. I just want to play baseball with current mlb teams.

Im genuinely trying to understand the appeal of it all.

The baseball card trading scene was never big where Im from growing up so maybe Ive missed something.

Please fill me in cos I feel like Im missing a big part, if not, the biggest part of the game. Took me decades from the outset to appreciate baseball being in a country where its not well followed (Australia).
    Last edited by Hugh_Jars44; 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM.

It is very much an on-line thing. DD is cool, but I only really like playing it vs. the CPU...I am right there with you, I don't get any excitement of it.

I very carefully looked at each and every addition, and then said, yup, Regular Edition from PS Store as the other editions have nothing I want.

Stubs and packs? I get those from playing, and often don't use them much at all.

You are not alone here!

Comment

It's about trying to achieve the best cards for your team to go out and compete with other people who do the same. I think to truly enjoy diamond dynasty, you have to be a competive natured person. I, personally, don't understand the appeal of sitting there and plugging away agaisnt a CPU.

Comment

I agree, if I want to play against someone it will be one of my real life friends, I don't scour the internet looking for people to talk too. The CPU is the ultimate opponent, no cheese no bad tenancies and no mid game quits, making it the most realistic opponent to play against.

If I had no friends I would probably be all about Diamond Dynasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh_Jars44 View Post
          if you can only have 25 players in a team whats the point of collecting hundreds of cards?
          The ability to complete missions. Some missions can only be completed by using certain cards or card sets.

Comment

Not a big online player but really enjoyed conquest and have recently gotten a little more into online play (the cheeser are not as prevalent as this forum would lead you to believe but when you run into one it really leaves a sour feeling as the game isn't very fun). That being said I was super pumped to collect the whole live series to get Jackie, and stocker. The rookie missions were a really enjoyable part of the game for me. The ability to play with some of the legends that I never got to see (Kaline, Williams Carew, ect..) I also enjoyed just playing the market, special events were cool as well with the limited time equipment, I thought SDS did a good job at the end of the year to try to make these missions attainable and the addition of player stat missions towards the end of the year were cool too, I like playing with different players and this forced my hand a little to use guys that typically wouldn't have made it into my lineup. Whatever makes you happy in this game.......do it, if the items I listed aren't your cup of tea and you just want to play as your favorite team and win a WS in season mode, more power to you.

I think SDS has done a great job making this game versatile for casual and hardcore players alike.

Comment

I like having another franchise mode advocate in here. I got the same one as you and I won't be making any micro transactions for extra cards. I'll also redeem the ones I earn while playing and mainly for the sponsors and equipment.

Originally posted by Sunjah View Post
              It is very much an on-line thing. DD is cool, but I only really like playing it vs. the CPU...I am right there with you, I don't get any excitement of it.

I very carefully looked at each and every addition, and then said, yup, Regular Edition from PS Store as the other editions have nothing I want.

Stubs and packs? I get those from playing, and often don't use them much at all.

You are not alone here!

Comment

It just boils down to what you got the game for. Initially I played The Show for RTTS and Franchise. When MLB 15 The Show introduced Diamond Dynasty with a focus on MLB players in drew me in which took a lot of time away from Franchise and some away from RTTS. This year that trend continued as I could barely get any gaming in for Franchise and I have finally made it to the ALCS with my Francis Money RTTS... hoping to restart him from the beginning in 17 but will in all likelihood still continue his career from 16 as well (although this first season got a little too unrealistic but was surprisingly still enjoyable to play)... I collect baseball cards as a kid/teen and the fact that The Show is the only game that uses the real Topps cards amazes me every year.

And its also competitive in a way that you won't necessarily get from online Franchise, whether you are playing vs CPU or H2H (depending on the difficulty level ofcourse)

Comment

I think DD is cool, but playing live on-line competition is so often a joke. RTTS is cool (though I still don't understand why you cannot field from Franchise fielding perspective; OF flies are ridiculously harder this way).

I am, and always will be, though, a Franchise/Season guy. Big time. My legends Franchise is down to the last weekend. I have a TB team made up of Negro League Stars, and we are 2 ahead of the Yanks with 3 to play. Both in playoffs, and I have almost clinched the division. Very fun to play!!! (...and yes, I have played all 159 games so far, unless is was some kind of oddity or malfunction that caused me to replay or sim a game to try and combat whatever problem occured...10 of those situations probably max)

Comment

Originally posted by romeischillin View Post
                    It just boils down to what you got the game for. Initially I played The Show for RTTS and Franchise. When MLB 15 The Show introduced Diamond Dynasty with a focus on MLB players in drew me in which took a lot of time away from Franchise and some away from RTTS. This year that trend continued as I could barely get any gaming in for Franchise and I have finally made it to the ALCS with my Francis Money RTTS... hoping to restart him from the beginning in 17 but will in all likelihood still continue his career from 16 as well (although this first season got a little too unrealistic but was surprisingly still enjoyable to play)... I collect baseball cards as a kid/teen and the fact that The Show is the only game that uses the real Topps cards amazes me every year.

And its also competitive in a way that you won't necessarily get from online Franchise, whether you are playing vs CPU or H2H (depending on the difficulty level ofcourse)
                    Your absolutley right. I've always like the concept of DD with your own team name and uniforms, but when the show introduced real mlb players and legends into DD in 2015, that's what got me and I'm sure a lot of people interested in it and this mode got popular real quick. and then the flashbacks this year made it even more fun. It's playing with those cards that are the real appeal. and It's not the stubs or the packs for me, its fielding the best team possible that you like to compete with. And some people do take this way too far by spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on this mode, thats insane. But SDS made it to were you can get great cards and build a great team with conquest and missions.

Comment

I had played the ultimate team mode in Madden one year but really always enjoyed and mainly played the pave your path/supertar type modes and dynasty modes in NCAA Football and Madden. The Show was the reason I got a PS4 since I had heard it was such a great game. I dove right into RTTS and didn't even really give DD a look until I became curious on what the daily match up ratings for LS players were and when I got a flashback player as a post game reward I had to check out how I could use him. But once I realized what DD was all about I was hooked and RTTS and Franchise almost seemed a waste of my time since once you become a member of The HOF or you just dominate the league each year it gets kind of old. Kind of like in NCAA back in the day when I would crank up the difficulty and still win back to back to back National Titles with the number one recruiting class 10 years in a row. Or when I unlocked every weapon and attachment in Call of Duty Once you've gone so far it's kind of like, what's the point since there is nothing more to achieve.
                      To me and many others I'm sure, DD and the packs, stubs, missions etc. really give you something to constantly be striving and working towards. Once I figured out the market, and conquest and everything it entailed it really became one of the most rewarding modes I've played on any game ever. Just my two cents but with constant missions and cards coming out it really hasn't gotten stale until this last month since none of it transfers to '17. That's how I explain the game to people who don't own it. There is ALWAYS something to play for. On the other hand though I thought my brother would be addicted to DD and all he does is play Franchise. To each their own but I will admit DD is my favorite game ever.

Comment

I strive to win the World Series. Hopefully, the Yanks will be in the WC game, and get knocked out. Mantle, DiMaggio, Ruth, Gehrig, Lazzari and Berra are too much and they scare me!

I can say I do love the Legends in the game now, but I really wonder why so many "Legendary" Legends aren't there. Ted Williams is, but what about Gehrig, Ruth, Cobb, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Willie Mays? I wonder why some are in, and some (especially Ruth, Mays and Gehrig) are not in there yet.

Comment

Pretty sure many of those have either their own licensing rights to some degree or whoever controls their estate, usually family just isn't interested or has a very large price tag. I just googled "who owns the licensing on Babe Ruth" and some LLC came up. It took them forever to get Griffey, they probably had to pay a pretty penny for just him.
                          Hell, you can book a dinner appearance with Pete Rose from $10,000-$20,000 so these guys don't just lend their likenesses for cheap. It'd be great to see all of those names in the game though. Everyone has players they grew up with they would love to see but it'll just never happen.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe Ill give DD a really good crack this year. Ive only really got into baseball the last 9 months or so, and got The Show 16 at Christmas. Im still learning about who the stars of the game are and wouldnt have a clue about legends of the past. Baseball is something Ive never grown up with. Maybe thats whats holding me back. A diamond player from yesteryear I wouldnt know from a bar of soap so there is no motivation to pursue these players. So much to learn! Its been an enjoyable learning curve.

I did try DD, but something that turned me off was making a decent uniform with logos. My team's uniform looked hideous. I've heard they are improving this for this year.

One question I have about DD - has the ability to play other online player's DD teams offline always been an option?
                            Last edited by Hugh_Jars44; 03-08-2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

It sounds like it's been an option for the past two years or so to play other DD teams offline. I'm still a first year guy. The uniform thing I didn't even mess with for a couple months til someone messaged me and called me a NOOB because it was the standard uni.
                              Hopefully you enjoy it though man, to me DD is the most fulfilling mode since there are SO MANY missions and there is almost always something to do. I finished the league last month and figured I was done until '17, still managed to get going on another group of missions for the special event equipment that'll keep me busy another week or so. If you didn't "grow up" with baseball you possibly won't get the aspect of card collecting as much which is something most kids from the 90's all the way back to our grandparents did was collect and trade physical baseball cards. Of course there is no real "trading" system other than the market here, but it's definitely a nostalgia thing that brings back some fond memories of ripping open packs and comparing cards with my brother as our grandpa and dad showed us how to organize them in our massive collection of card binders. In hind sight the odds on those packs were pretty crappy too! But one thing any kid who collected baseball cards did, was layout a "dream team" of cards in their respective positions. That truly hooked me in this game more so than any other sports game. Looking back to me and my friends as kids laying out what our idea of the best team would be based off of the cards we owned.
                              Play DD for a month or so and you'll know the current big name stars in no time and quite a few of the flashback legends. Just watch some videos on tips for gameplay and what not and figure out how to build up a good surplus of stubs to play the market, because that ends up being one of the funnest parts I wish I would've fully understood way earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X