Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB The Show 17: Build an Empire with Franchise Mode

MLB The Show 17: Build an Empire with Franchise Mode

Experience the best moments of a game, or drill deep into statistics with Quick Manage. This year, there are more ways to play.
    Posted by Luis Martinez Game Designer, MLB The Show 17

If you love games where you can strategize and multitask to build up an empire, you might want to keep an eye on MLB The Show 17 — we’ve found that many gamers, even those who aren’t big sports fans, get a huge kick out of this year’s new Franchise mode.
    The Pressure’s On

This year we added two completely new ways to play the game — let’s start with Critical Situations.

Instead of waiting for the best parts of the game, Critical Situations takes you directly to those nail-biting, game-deciding moments when they naturally occur, breezing past some of the time-consuming baseball details that can get in the way of an action-packed experience. This makes games short, intense experiences that have a huge impact on your team’s record. One of the many possible situations that might pop up: your star player at the plate with a chance to win the game with one swing.
    In addition to these intense, game changing moments, you’ll also encounter other important situations, such as keeping long hitting streaks alive or hitting three home runs in a game. In these situations you’ll be “locked” to the player involved, meaning you’ll only play his at-bats or fielding chances (much like Road to the Show, for all the veterans reading this). And this leads us perfectly into our next Franchise feature, Player Lock.

If you’ve ever wanted to see what you could do with your favorite MLB player over a full season, but you’re strapped for time, you’re in luck. Player Lock makes this possible, allowing gamers to play exclusively with their favorite players and help progress through the season faster. With Player Lock you can say goodbye to playing full 9-inning games! And don’t worry — it’s not permanent. Before every game, you can choose a different player to “lock-on,” meaning you can mix it up between your star players or the prospects that are just getting their first taste of The Show.
    Quick Games for Quick Manage

What about all the simulation-minded Franchise players out there? We haven’t forgotten about you, and we think you’re going to love our next feature: Quick Manage.
    Just as if you were calling the shots from the dugout, Quick Manage is a text-based simulation mode that puts you in complete control of all the managerial decisions during a game. Want to bring in the closer an inning early to lock down the game? Think a sacrifice fly will score you the winning run? All of these actions and more are available to you in Quick Manage, so you control your team’s destiny.
    If you’re wondering what’s so “Quick” about this mode, it’s the fact that you see the results of your actions instantly with the press of a button. We’ve given you plenty of managerial depth as well, as you can see in the screenshot below with all ways you can pitch to the hitter.

Getting antsy and want to get back into the action? With Quick Manage, you have the ability to enter the game at any point and can jump back-and-forth between managing and playing as many times as you’d like. This means that you can pick and choose when to play, while always being in complete control of your team.
    And for all of you stat enthusiasts who want our MLB players to perform even more like they do in real-life, we’ve got one more thing for you, and that’s our newly introduced Player Quirks.

Quirks are very specific traits assigned to a player based on real-life data which give the player a bonus when triggered. As you can see in the screenshot above, Anthony Rizzo has the Breaking Ball Hitter quirk, which means he excels at hitting curves, sliders, and other breaking pitches. When you’re playing as Rizzo, you’ll want to look for breaking pitches to hammer, since you’ll get a hitting bonus when swinging at these types of pitches.
    There are tons of different Quirks for both pitchers and position players, and in addition to changing the way you go about at-bats, we think they’ll also change the way you construct your roster.
    We hope you’re as excited as we are about the big and little changes to Franchise mode. To hear more, make sure to tune in to our next Twitch stream this Thursday, where we’ll go over all of our new Franchise features in more detail. And if you haven’t already, follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news on MLB The Show.
    Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you when MLB The Show 17 launches on March 28.

I'm really hoping Quirks can be used in RTTS mode as well. This looks like something that could really set players apart from each other.

Comment

This is pretty bad, there are so many improvements that need to be made. Even with the stream coming thursday, they clearly have missed the boat on making major changes.

*Expansion
      *Poor Free Agency logic
      *Poor Budgeting
      *No 3 team Trades
      *No contract extensions
      *Contracts blocking ALL trades (some would be accepted by an owner if the contract isnt massive)
      *Offseason trades are a disgrace, "this player is not signed to a contract" smh
      *GM Goals in Season mode

Theres a bunch of other things im not remembering, and what do we get? critical situations (which is nice but thats the only major change?)
      Again enough with Diamond Dynasty, thats all this games been worked on the last 3 cycles

Comment

Diamond Dynasty brings in the micro transaction dollars and franchise mode doesn't.

Originally posted by CrashDavis21 View Post
        This is pretty bad, there are so many improvements that need to be made. Even with the stream coming thursday, they clearly have missed the boat on making major changes.

*Expansion
        *Poor Free Agency logic
        *Poor Budgeting
        *No 3 team Trades
        *No contract extensions
        *Contracts blocking ALL trades (some would be accepted by an owner if the contract isnt massive)
        *Offseason trades are a disgrace, "this player is not signed to a contract" smh
        *GM Goals in Season mode

Theres a bunch of other things im not remembering, and what do we get? critical situations (which is nice but thats the only major change?)
        Again enough with Diamond Dynasty, thats all this games been worked on the last 3 cycles

Comment

Originally posted by fubar2k7 View Post
          Diamond Dynasty brings in the micro transaction dollars and franchise mode doesn't.
          Yes yes it does, as a gamer do you care about that vs a better experience? It's not money in our pockets, I get what youre saying it makes complete sense, however DD is fleshed out enough for all those who want to get their micro transactions on, it was after last season.
          Time to give some love to the other area of the game that is in need of it.

Comment

It was the thing that turned everybody's head this last year from what I've read and heard so it makes sense that would be the focal point. Hell, just look at how many posts there are about DD compared to Franchise on here, that surprised me when I looked at it yesterday when I noticed it. A sports game would never do it, but this is what many companies-especially FPS are doing as far as dialing back or completely removing a single player mode and focusing solely on multiplayer and online modes. Rainbow Six Siege is a prime example, but it'll never go that far with a sports game. I honestly was surprised they even touched franchise or RTTS after the success of DD as much as they did, but that's just me looking at how games are evolving. I'm going to be spending maybe a $100 extra this year just to bulk up my stubs for DD but I still don't know many people who actually spend physical money on micro transactions with this last years game. That'll be a first for me other than just a games season pass, spending extra money I mean. I absolutely love DD so I'm cool with it, but kind of sucks if you play solely franchise and that's the mode they are paying less attention to seemingly.
            And Crash, don't let your eyelids get jammed.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HustlinOwl View Post
                Thanks for sharing that video. These features seem like they will be nice to have but I am still hoping to see more tomorrow.

Comment

Some people like real baseball with real teams and some like fantasy baseball with fake made up teams.

Originally posted by Dealer-95- View Post
                  It was the thing that turned everybody's head this last year from what I've read and heard so it makes sense that would be the focal point. Hell, just look at how many posts there are about DD compared to Franchise on here, that surprised me when I looked at it yesterday when I noticed it. A sports game would never do it, but this is what many companies-especially FPS are doing as far as dialing back or completely removing a single player mode and focusing solely on multiplayer and online modes. Rainbow Six Siege is a prime example, but it'll never go that far with a sports game. I honestly was surprised they even touched franchise or RTTS after the success of DD as much as they did, but that's just me looking at how games are evolving. I'm going to be spending maybe a $100 extra this year just to bulk up my stubs for DD but I still don't know many people who actually spend physical money on micro transactions with this last years game. That'll be a first for me other than just a games season pass, spending extra money I mean. I absolutely love DD so I'm cool with it, but kind of sucks if you play solely franchise and that's the mode they are paying less attention to seemingly.

Comment

True statement, as I often say on here, to each their own. I got very into RTTS until I discovered DD and that just became addictive as hell. With baseball being so long I think it would be harder to spread out my limited free time across even two modes, after I got into DD I didn't touch RTTS even though I loved it. Maybe I'll finally give Franchise a shot with the next couple weeks, it's all my brother does but he sims through entire months at a time. In another thread I talked about how I used to love the dynasty modes in NCAA games and Madden which I'm told this games franchise mode is very similar to the recruiting in college games With the amount of content it looks like '17 will have in DD alone, I'll probably just stick to that taking up my video game time since I enjoy it so much. Also have back surgery shortly after release so I'll be having some long boring days ahead of me laying on my stomach playing the new version drugged up on pain pills. Maybe I'll give franchise a shot then since the online features are likely to be down or buggy for a few weeks. Any tips or suggestions if I go that route? From what I've read on here the salary cap pretty much kills you.

Comment

I know this may be a lot to ask for but I just really wish they would add a feature to play franchise with your created team (sort of like DD) and create your own stadium and add fireworks and all that sorts like MVP Baseball 2005.

Comment

I suggest you turn it off. Real baseball has no salary cap. With it off I feel teams sign players but then trade away pieces to stay under budget.

True statement, as I often say on here, to each their own. I got very into RTTS until I discovered DD and that just became addictive as hell. With baseball being so long I think it would be harder to spread out my limited free time across even two modes, after I got into DD I didn't touch RTTS even though I loved it. Maybe I'll finally give Franchise a shot with the next couple weeks, it's all my brother does but he sims through entire months at a time. In another thread I talked about how I used to love the dynasty modes in NCAA games and Madden which I'm told this games franchise mode is very similar to the recruiting in college games With the amount of content it looks like '17 will have in DD alone, I'll probably just stick to that taking up my video game time since I enjoy it so much. Also have back surgery shortly after release so I'll be having some long boring days ahead of me laying on my stomach playing the new version drugged up on pain pills. Maybe I'll give franchise a shot then since the online features are likely to be down or buggy for a few weeks. Any tips or suggestions if I go that route? From what I've read on here the salary cap pretty much kills you.

Comment

Huh?

Anyways dont play with Salary cap, unless you want restrictions on trades and have top 10 players in the league stay free agents and retire.

Comment

Roger that.
                            And cmon CrashDavis21, that was a Bull Durham reference.
                            You're killing me smalls.

Comment

Roger that.
                              And cmon CrashDavis21, that was a Bull Durham reference.
                              You're killing me smalls.

aaahhh as in Nuke, the cursed glove and no one knows what to get them for the wedding my bad.

"you play ball like A GIRL"

Comment

Working...
                              X