The SCEA "small team" reasoning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SCEA "small team" reasoning

If you guys have paid close attention over the past few years, one line gets brought up by the team, time and time again and its a solid reason. The development team is small compared to those at EA sports and 2K.

Whichever thing you want in future iterations this is the common reply we get from the team if what you want isnt likely to happen, it is very understandable, in fact most of us dont know jack about developing games.

This week the team has been verbally whipped for its lack of improvement in franchise/season mode, to a degree this makes sense with all of the disappointment thats been revealed, but then again we hear "we are a small studio" in other words cut us some slack.

The thing that has me curious though is that the SCEA team is roughly 80 employees and has been reportedly, for 5 years at least. This was before Diamond Dynasty had really been a major part in the games success, which as we know with these type of modes can be very profitable. With gaming at this day in age making more than movies and music, Baseball growing in popularity every year, shouldnt there be an expansion of newcomers, shouldnt the SCEA team grow to have more workers to spend more time and resources each year for the game?
    So a mode like franchise doesnt get overlooked, and then next year another part of the game doesnt get overlooked?

Just a thought, what do I know really about the economics of it in any detailed manner, just from an outsiders perspective it seems tough to figure out.

That's an excuse. Whoever worked on Retro Mode could have worked on making franchise like it was back in MLB10.

Originally posted by CrashDavis21 View Post
    If you guys have paid close attention over the past few years, one line gets brought up by the team, time and time again and its a solid reason. The development team is small compared to those at EA sports and 2K.

Whichever thing you want in future iterations this is the common reply we get from the team if what you want isnt likely to happen, it is very understandable, in fact most of us dont know jack about developing games.

This week the team has been verbally whipped for its lack of improvement in franchise/season mode, to a degree this makes sense with all of the disappointment thats been revealed, but then again we hear "we are a small studio" in other words cut us some slack.

The thing that has me curious though is that the SCEA team is roughly 80 employees and has been reportedly, for 5 years at least. This was before Diamond Dynasty had really been a major part in the games success, which as we know with these type of modes can be very profitable. With gaming at this day in age making more than movies and music, Baseball growing in popularity every year, shouldnt there be an expansion of newcomers, shouldnt the SCEA team grow to have more workers to spend more time and resources each year for the game?
    So a mode like franchise doesnt get overlooked, and then next year another part of the game doesnt get overlooked?

Just a thought, what do I know really about the economics of it in any detailed manner, just from an outsiders perspective it seems tough to figure out.

Comment

dont forget they changed the physics of the entire game,and reworked the fielding protocols,reworked the player cards(like we asked for)changed the anouncing,added a new presentation,better player animations,and created a whole new stadium.i m sure that took a whole lot of everyones time.while i am not pleased that they didnt seem to adress player training,trade system,or others that ppl wanted different,i will transfer my franchise over and hope the new ball physics are enough to make it playable till 18.if not not i ll just let the file sit,and create a new franchise to kill time with till 18.
      btw,whats with the new way to play the game that has you skip a lot of the game? where s the love for those of us that play every pitch every at bat of every game for all 3 teams i know im not the only one.
      the quick manage thing did look interesting(not sure i d ever use it)but looked pretty good for those who just want to manage a team.

Comment

They are a business. They do things to make money. They do things to keep people employed. They put out a GREAT baseball game.

Having attended a couple events to see how the game is made I can tell you you can't appreciate it until you see it. How many different actions are there in just the game play? Hundreds of thousands???? This game has grown leaps and bounds and the advances this year, only my opinion, are pretty great.

I'm not going to "whip" these guys. We don't always get our way in life (this is a wonderful game as is). I really can't believe how much they communicate with the fans here and over at OS, only to get whipped by people who want them to do everything they demand. One of the things demanded is a create a stadium, lol. No thought of how hard it must be regarding the obvious collision detection that would be involved when some gamer wants to create some type of crazily configured field (let alone all the other graphics that would be necessary to make it look like it actually belongs in the game).

Anyway, I'm not going to question these developers at all. They have their marching orders, they are employees, and they do, and have done one hell of a job for years.

Comment

one programmer for DD and one for franchise????

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBTheSho...88312422129664

Comment

Originally posted by HustlinOwl View Post
            one programmer for DD and one for franchise????

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBTheSho...88312422129664

Not sure that's quite fair. Do you know the job descriptions of each of those people?

Comment

For as small of a group they are compared to EA and 2k, they put out games just as good as the big boys in town and offer personal support more than the EAs of the world so I don't really complain. Plus, EA does more than just Madden which is probably why they are large in number.
              O's, Stroh's, and Natty Boh's Hon

Comment

Originally posted by jim416 View Post

Not sure that's quite fair. Do you know the job descriptions of each of those people?
                Ramone confirmed one programmer for each of those modes?

Comment

OMG what a poser Ramone is haha.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashDavis21 View Post

I'm pretty well impressed with what they manage to accomplish year after year. So, I don't know if getting new people is really necessary. I'm personally happy with what they are doing with Franchise Mode because it now seems much easier to get into. I might actually try it for longer than a day now. However, I understand if veterans aren't happy with them just basically doing some minor things this year with the mode.

Comment

Ramone confirmed one programmer for each of those modes?

Not sure I understand you post then. You had a question mark after your statement. I took it as questioning only one out of all the people in the photo.

Comment

I assume he meant what are the other 100 people working on. Getting coffee?

Not sure I understand you post then. You had a question mark after your statement. I took it as questioning only one out of all the people in the photo.

Comment

something I never knew is all, sure there are others working on the modes. However again didnt know only one programmer for both

Comment

something I never knew is all, sure there are others working on the modes. However again didnt know only one programmer for both

Cool, misunderstood by me. Didn't think sarcasm and "whipping" the devs would come from you. Peace, bro.

Comment

Just to state as the OP I in no means was trying to demote the hard work of the 80 or so employees they clearly have done great work.
                              My curiosity is more why not bring in more bodies to help advance things along.
                              1 guy for franchise and 1 guy for DD thats ridiculous, not that the workers have a choice more the upper management, like everywhere squeeze the most you can out of as little. But games make billions, and as a fan I as well as you should not care about "the business side" of things at this point. The series is a success, they deserve help, how about 3 guys on franchise and 3 guys on DD and 5 guys on RTTS and 3 guys on presentation (including stealing someone from 2k for broadcasting)
                              Its a subject we wont truly know about, but its interesting to say the least, and when there is a backlash like there has been this week, it kind of doesnt bode well

Comment

Working...
                              X