Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone besides me find this annoying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this was already mentioned but you don't have to be born in a country to play for them. Citizenship as well as family lineage also play a role in what country/ies you are eligible to play for. I have no problems if an American plays for the Netherlands because in all likelihood they didn't get selected or weren't going to get selected to play for the US or didn't want to play for the US for whatever reason.

And yeah the MLB isn't going to shutdown for the Olympics, there is just too much at stake with pitchers to risk that layoff in addition to the All-Star Break.

Comment

Originally posted by romeischillin View Post
      Not sure if this was already mentioned but you don't have to be born in a country to play for them. Citizenship as well as family lineage also play a role in what country/ies you are eligible to play for. I have no problems if an American plays for the Netherlands because in all likelihood they didn't get selected or weren't going to get selected to play for the US or didn't want to play for the US for whatever reason.

And yeah the MLB isn't going to shutdown for the Olympics, there is just too much at stake with pitchers to risk that layoff in addition to the All-Star Break.
      I am just so thrilled they went as far as to make the WBC. Believe me, I was in Atlanta for an Olympic baseball game, and have watched everyone the US has been in.

I just thank goodness that, when the olympics cut them, they decided to create their own tourny. I love it! (but do agree about the "silliness" of 3rd generation people playing for a country...oh well, USA vs. Japan will make it all worth it.

Comment

Fubar, you are right, they will be in the 2020 Olympics. Sad thing is, it is a one off because it is Japan. Unless the next country makes them reappear in 2024, they will be gone again. It was a complete power-move by the IOC to intimidate MLB into shutting the league down for 2 weeks.

I'm not sure how long other organizational sports (the league themsleves) have a history for, but I know baseball is 1901 for AL, and 1900 for NL (technically it is 1876, but I don't think it "really" counted until 1900. That's 117 years (or 141 if you count it all the way back), so I am glad baseball didn't back down. I know some soccer teams have been around since 1860's or so, but I do not know how far their leagues go back.

Comment

I have been fortunate to retire early so I've watched every game, even the incredibly early games, but I truly believe the Olympics Games prestige would help get the best of the best. The timing would work for the athletes because they would be game ready.

Comment

I like Nolan Arenado but he's no Manny Machado and Freddie Freeman could play first on the US squad. He's better than Eric Hosmer in my opinion.

Originally posted by romeischillin View Post

Comment

Originally posted by fubar2k7 View Post
              I like Nolan Arenado but he's no Manny Machado and Freddie Freeman could play first on the US squad. He's better than Eric Hosmer in my opinion.
              Hosmers been pretty impressive so far, I'm not even saying that just as a KC fan. Article today on ESPN had his average at .381 with zero strikeouts in 21 AB's (that one I couldn't believe). That's pretty good IMO, maybe he's one of the guys to keep leading us into hopefully Wednesdays final. Especially a popular young player making a case for free agency, he's bound to keep it up I would hope.

A lot of really good points on here about the safety of the WBC and as a Royals fan even after Salvy got hurt and about gave me a stroke I still enjoy the WBC a whole lot. It's actual competitive baseball with a playoff feel rather than a B Team playing a C Team, just wish they would start it earlier possibly in line with the end of the post season, or make it strictly college players or minor league guys. Guys are going to get hurt no matter what, see Brian Flynn falling through his barns roof or Trevor Bauer messing with his drone and getting hurt. I'd rather it be in competetive play for their country than some fluke accident.

Comment

There is less chance a player injures themselves while playing under spring training conditions. I'm sure the Yankees Didi Gregorius doesn't injure his shoulder playing in spring training where he would likely play part of the game then practice on the side.

Originally posted by Dealer-95- View Post

Hosmers been pretty impressive so far, I'm not even saying that just as a KC fan. Article today on ESPN had his average at .381 with zero strikeouts in 21 AB's (that one I couldn't believe). That's pretty good IMO, maybe he's one of the guys to keep leading us into hopefully Wednesdays final. Especially a popular young player making a case for free agency, he's bound to keep it up I would hope.

A lot of really good points on here about the safety of the WBC and as a Royals fan even after Salvy got hurt and about gave me a stroke I still enjoy the WBC a whole lot. It's actual competitive baseball with a playoff feel rather than a B Team playing a C Team, just wish they would start it earlier possibly in line with the end of the post season, or make it strictly college players or minor league guys. Guys are going to get hurt no matter what, see Brian Flynn falling through his barns roof or Trevor Bauer messing with his drone and getting hurt. I'd rather it be in competetive play for their country than some fluke accident.

Comment

You lost me. It drives you nuts but you're okay with it.

The WBC is a joke in my opinion. Manny Machado was born in Florida and plays for the Dominican Republic.
                  He's of Dominican heritage. What's so hard to understand?

Comment

Well, Machado and Freeman both have played for the countries of their family heritage over playing for Team USA in current & past iterations of the WBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunjah View Post

I am just so thrilled they went as far as to make the WBC. Believe me, I was in Atlanta for an Olympic baseball game, and have watched everyone the US has been in.

I just thank goodness that, when the olympics cut them, they decided to create their own tourny. I love it! (but do agree about the "silliness" of 3rd generation people playing for a country...oh well, USA vs. Japan will make it all worth it.
                      It wouldn't be competitive at all if every US citizen could only play for Team USA. As it is, Cuban defectors can't play for Cuba in the WBC and are therefore a non-factor.

Comment

Talk about thread derailment here. Lol. I don't care. I love the WBC it's been exciting. I wish games weren't so late on east coast though, the 5:15 alarm has come pretty early. LETS GO USA!!! CRUSH JAPAN!!

Comment

Originally posted by tnutz003 View Post
                          Talk about thread derailment here. Lol. I don't care. I love the WBC it's been exciting. I wish games weren't so late on east coast though, the 5:15 alarm has come pretty early. LETS GO USA!!! CRUSH JAPAN!!
                          but the first words of the thread are, "In the spirit of the WBC..."

That lead to, basically, some WBC vs. Olympics type-talk.

I've seen derailment, this wouldn't qualify in my view.

Comment

Adam Jones robbing Machado definitely had some of my friends texting me asking about the WBC in general and when the next games were. For people who just enjoy the game of baseball in general it's like Christmas since even for us die hards spring training can get a little boring after the first two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dealer-95- View Post
                              Adam Jones robbing Machado definitely had some of my friends texting me asking about the WBC in general and when the next games were. For people who just enjoy the game of baseball in general it's like Christmas since even for us die hards spring training can get a little boring after the first two weeks.
                              YES!!! I also loved that you could see Jones running towards the fence, slow a little, then look up and you realized he was 100% timing it. I saw it live and thought, he's got a shot! I didn't know it would be that dramatic, but you could see in his body language that he felt there was a chance 15 feet from the wall.

Comment

The crowds reaction was classic and something I kept looking at replay after replay. Kind of like a picture I have framed of "Hosmer's Mad Dash" home in game 5 of the WS, sorry Mets fans, but you can see the crowd behind him as he slides into home and it's a ton of Mets fans who look utterly destroyed like someone just kicked their dog and a handful of Royals fans going absolutely ape ****. I love those little moments, I remember screaming at the TV at the bar, "DON'T RUN, DON'T RUN YOU IDIOT! DAMNIT HOZ!.... HOLY **** HE DID IT!"
                                A lot of O's fans will frame that one of Jones I'm sure.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	hosmersmadash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	180260

Comment

Working...
                                X