Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG...TB Devil Rays (Negro League Stars) to the World Series!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG...TB Devil Rays (Negro League Stars) to the World Series!

I've mentioned it a few times, but sometime last summer/fall I started a "Legends" Franchise. The best-of-the-best for all teams. Obviously, I thought the Yankees would be in the mix just because of the unmatched talent they have had over the years (I am not a Yankee fan, per se, but there is not doubt about what they have had).

I took a team of Negro League Stars on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. It was incredible. Season ended with me 99 W, the Yanks 98. Chicago was the other wild card team, and I used Chicago to try and kill the Yanks, but they won anyway.

I then dispatched them in 4 games (2 wins, a loss, and then the final win). I was quite shocked, as through the regular season, they beat me along the lines of 12 of 18 games or so. We got much better towards the end, but at one point I think I was 2 and 7 against them. I couldn't believe it, but several players had a bad series. DiMaggio had 1 hit (a HR), Ruth, the league MVP hit in the mid-.200's, the pitching wasn't that great for them, and Gehrig & Berra were the only 2 on-fire. Lazzerri and Jeter got some big-big hits, but it wasn't much of a challenge from the Bombers, overall.

The Twins, meanwhile, dispatched the Angels. All season, as I watched stats, it seemed that Minnesota had the best pitching overall. Walter Johnson and Johan Santana being the top 2 guys, and Aguilera bolstering a very good pen.

The ALCS, which I just finished, was unreal. Mauer hit .444 against me, Carew .390, and Hrbek .372. Pucket did well, Killebrew not that much. The stupid SS Versalles hit a 2nd inning grand slam to help them win game 6, 5-2.

They won the first on Walter Johnson's strong pitching, 4-1.
    Game #2, we returned the favor 5-2.

Went to their place, they explode for 8 runs in the 5th, and get ahead 9-2. I fight back, but lose 11-9 (lost on a pinch hit HR by Sam Rice, anyone else feel the pinch hitting is WAY, WAY too easy compared to what it is in real life?)
    Next game, we put up a bit of a thrashing, 8-3.
    Game #5 in Minnesota, we also thrashed, 10-5.

They come back to our place, and the stupid 8th place hitting SS hits a grand slam off of Satchel Paige. We almost tied it, got to 4-3, then they scored 2 more. Final 6-3. Series tied 3-3.

Game #7, [blanktey-blankety] Hrbek gets a double in the first, 2-0 Twins. My heart!!! My RF (guy named Oscar Charlseton) bombs it in the bottom, we are up 3-2. Couple of innings later, I score 4-2, next 1/2 inning they score 4-3. Same thing in bottom 8 to top 9, we score 1, they score 1. It is 5-4, Goose Goslin batting with runners on 1st and 3rd, and my closer who just gave up 3 hits and a run is pitching. My heart is leaping all over. 3-2 count (seriously)!

BAMN! He swings at a pitch way up and in, 2-feet off the plate to END IT!!!

I thought for sure it was going bye-bye on me.

Now, on to the World Series. I only have to face Koufax, Kershaw, Campanella, Snider, Furrillo, Pee-Wee, Newcombe, Garvey and Cey...oh yeah, and they got this kid playing 2nd, too, name of Jack Robinson or something.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Sunjah; 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM.

TAMPA BAY takes game #1 in commanding fashion over the DODGERS.

The Devil Rays, behind Smokey Joe Williams excellent 6 2/3 innings pitched, captured game one handily with a 9-0 thrashing of one of the great dynasties of Major League Baseball. Player of the game Oscar Charlston, RF, went 2-3, with a HR, 2B, 3 runs scored, 2 BB and a RBI. He and fellow left-hander Buck Leonard seemed to have no problem handling Clayton Kershaw, one of the Dodgers' two ace southpaws, with Koufax due to pitch tomorrow. Can they do it again?

A disappointed Kershaw couldn't even last more than 2 1/3 innings, as the Devil Rays pounded out 5 runs in the second, and started to rally again in the third. "That team is very good, they won 99 games during the season, outlasted the Yankees for the East Title, then beat that incredible team pretty handily in the ALDS. They are tough, strong, but mostly very fast. They are really clicking right now, and yeah, I am disappointed at how I pitched, but we got an incredible guy going for us tomorrow. Our team has some legendary talent, too. They took tonight, tomorrow we will look to get one back, this team doesn't give up, that's for sure. We made it to the Series, and we will fight as long and hard as we can!"

Many of the Devil Rays had strong offensive games; Buck Leonard, 1B (whom the manager thought was 'player of the game'), was 3 for 5 with a 2B and 2 RBI's; Martin Dihigo, 2B, a utility player getting his first start in the post-season, went 3-4; and Biz Mackey, the backup C also went 2-5 with some clutch hitting. As has been the case most of the year, Josh Gibson moved to third and Mackey got the start behind home plate when facing a LHP. It worked well tonight as Gibson, 3B, also pounded out a few hits.

Not only did the Devil Rays excel at hitting, smacking 18 overall basehits, the pitching dominated as well. In 6 2/3 innings, starter Smokey Joe Williams only gave up 4 hits, 2 walks and had 4 strikeouts. He gave up doubles to Ron Cey and Zack Wheat, and individual singles to Duke Snider and Steve Garvey. David Price relieved him in the seventh, and pitch 1.1 innings of hitless ball with a strikout. Chet Brewer than came on to pitch a perfect ninth, also getting a single strikeout.

The Dodgers simply looked overmatched after the 5-run second inning outburst from the Devil Rays. It simply did not improve for them all game. Next up on the mound in Los Angeles for game #2 are Tampa Bay's sidearm-hurler Dizzy Dismukes, looking to back up his very strong regular season, and Sandy Koufax, who looks to get the Dodgers on the board in the win column. If not, the Dodgers look at the prospect of heading to Tampa Bay's house down 0-2 in the series, and facing the legendary Satchel Paige.

Game #2 appears to loom as a very important one for the Dodgers to show they are in this, while the Devil Rays look to continue the dominance they showed in game #1!

We will see you tomorrow night at Chavez Ravine, should be a great one!
    Last edited by Sunjah; 03-23-2017, 04:43 AM.

Comment

What happened?

Comment

Game #2 should be tonight. Had massive headaches the last few days, which put a crimp into playing.

I promise I will give summaries of each game.

Comment

Working...
        X