OBP is more important than batting average - fact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBP is more important than batting average - fact

So I ran a regression model on OBP v wins and Batting Average v Wins for the 2016 MLB season and there was a higher correlation coefficient for team OBP (0.59) than team batting average (0.34). Something people might find useful to consider when building their DD teams.

I prefer OPS over either of those.

Comment

Lmao this is well known why are you acting like you just made some huge discovery

Comment

Welcome to "The Moneyball" argument from 2002.

They made a movie about it and everything.

Comment

Why is batting average still the go to stat to rate a batter? Baseball is still stuck in the dark ages. Even the sports science is decades behind many other sports like Australian Rules Football. Its hilarious seeing fat ass batters that can barely round a base without nearly having a heart attack. Pitch count is a ridiculous concept too.
          Last edited by Hugh_Jars44; 03-26-2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

In the show OPS is the leader stat when it comes to Stubs gain in any mode... the more you can get on base and hit extra base hits and work counts.. well... you will be vastly rewarded...
            #Baseballislife

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh_Jars44 View Post
              So I ran a regression model on OBP v wins and Batting Average v Wins for the 2016 MLB season and there was a higher correlation coefficient for team OBP (0.59) than team batting average (0.34). Something people might find useful to consider when building their DD teams.
              Well makes sense because getting on base in any way possible is better than just getting on base via the hit. That is literally the only difference between the 2. Well except reaching via error or strikeout with pitch in the dirt. That dont count. Also Sac flies count. Technically OBP is tallied by plate appearances not AB's. Sac flies dont count as reaching base but do as a PA. Barry Bonds had a OBP of .609 one year. Insane.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckCLC View Post
                ...Barry Bonds had a OBP of .609 one year. Insane.
                I'm sorry I just have to say it; he also cheated like no one in the sport ever had. C'mon, my trainer gave me "clear". I make $24 million a year and didn't realize I was using steroids. When most people retire, I go from hitting 30 HR's or so to 73.

No stat that guy has should ever be counted. They were all falsely obtained (and he was a major talent before, probably HoF bound, but he is not a freak like Nolan Ryan, just a cheater plain and simple)!

Comment

We got ourselves a regular Brad Pitt here. Most players already know that from reading Moneyball. Or, from watching the movie. Oh also, not everyone uses batting average as the "go to stat".

Comment

Originally posted by fubar2k7 View Post
                    I prefer OPS over either of those.

Correlation for OPS v wins is actually slightly less than OBP (0.59 to 0.54)

Comment

My franchise isn't a real franchise so my OBP factors less into my franchise than my OPS. In my franchise OPS matters more.

In real life baseball I go with the eye test over these obsurd made up statistics such WAR which has 3 separate formulas, so which is correct. When MLB Now called Adam Eaton the 4th best outfielder since 2013 the show lost any remaining credibility in my personal opinion.

Originally posted by Hugh_Jars44 View Post

Correlation for OPS v wins is actually slightly less than OBP (0.59 to 0.54)

Comment

Originally posted by fubar2k7 View Post
                        My franchise isn't a real franchise so my OBP factors less into my franchise than my OPS. In my franchise OPS matters more.

In real life baseball I go with the eye test over these obsurd made up statistics such WAR which has 3 separate formulas, so which is correct. When MLB Now called Adam Eaton the 4th best outfielder since 2013 the show lost any remaining credibility in my personal opinion.

Its attitudes like this why people still deny climate change and vote in gumps like Trump

Comment

The main issue I have with OBP > BA for DD is that a lot of players dont have the discipline to take pitches. Without patience OBP doesnt mean a thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X