Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to get a contract offer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it take to get a contract offer?

I just came off a season in which I hit .366, with 34 HR's, 96 RBI's, 239 hits, 130 runs scored and 101 steals for the Nationals, and we won the World Series...and I get an offer of 1 year for $1.76M from Washington? And not a single contract offer from any other team? I also didn't win the MVP somehow. I don't get that at all.

In terms of MVP there are a couple of things. What was your OBP? it is possible if your OBP is low enough that it is an empty average and your OBP while above average, isn't elite. Also while 101 steals is impressive if you got thrown out 45+ times or so then it really isn't that helpful, so again while 101 steals are cool, if you got thrown out 30+% of the time it isn't helpful. It likely is just weird and neither of the above are the case but I'm just listing possibilities.

In terms of contract, I assume you completed your 6 years before FA? if you aren't a 6 year vet that is why, the Nats control you. (Albeit I would expect them to offer more if you in in arbitration)

Comment

Originally posted by Random_NOOB1908 View Post

In terms of contract, I assume you completed your 6 years before FA? if you aren't a 6 year vet that is why, the Nats control you. (Albeit I would expect them to offer more if you in in arbitration)
      Exactly. Only your original team can offer you a contract until you become a free agent, and even then they won't offer you a big deal until year 5 or 6.

Comment

Aww, gotcha, thanks guys. I didn't care so much about the MVP, but that's good to know about the contract info. I had only completed my first full season with the Nationals. I figured it was their prerogative to offer me a one-year deal, but I assumed then another team could make an offer. I didn't think about the fact that team would be in control the first few years, but I see now that I become eligible for arbitration in Year 3 and free agency in Year 6.

Comment

Working...
        X