KCRV (78 MPH
    SLRV (84 MPH)

Bowman Showcase:
    Central Prospect

1st Start
    3IP, 1H, 0R, 0BB, 0K

2nd Start
    3IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, 0K
    Last edited by TheVestedOne; 01-04-2017, 07:30 AM.

After his selection, Bryan was assigned to begin is career as a member of the AA Portland Sea Dogs of the Eastern League.

A little about his new team:

The Portland Sea Dogs are a minor league baseball team based in Portland, Maine, that currently plays in the Eastern League as part of the Eastern Division. Established in 1994, the Sea Dogs are the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox.

The Sea Dogs won their first-ever title on September 17, 2006, defeating the Akron Aeros 8–5 in a rematch of the series from the previous year. It was the first double-A championship for a Red Sox farm team since 1983 when they were based in New Britain, Connecticut.

The Sea Dogs' home stadium is Hadlock Field, named after long-time Portland High School baseball coach Edison Hadlock. It currently has a seating capacity of 7,368.

In left field stands the Maine Monster, a 37-foot-tall replica of Fenway Park's Green Monster, complete with Coke bottle and Citgo sign. Currently all games are carried on a network of radio stations with Mike Antonellis providing the play-by-play, with the flagship WPEI and select TV games on NESN with Eric Frede play-by-play and former Red Sox relief pitcher Ken Ryan.
    Last edited by TheVestedOne; 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I'm not a Sox fan, but live in Massachusetts. It's actually a bummer because PawSox stadium in Pawtucket, RI isn't represented in this game and it's a fun place to go for a game. =)

Comment

Portland Sea Dogs Debut: April 11, 2016

In his first professional start, Bryan Smith threw his first career perfect game to lead the Portland Sea Dogs to a 8-0 victory of Trenton Thunder.

Despite struggling with nerves and some control issues over the first three innings, Smith managed to induce a series of popups and weak grounders against one of the weakest offenses in MiLB.

"I really struggled with the mental part of the game in the first few innings," said Smith, "coming out of college I wasn't accustomed to player actually making contact with my knuckle-curve. But these guys seemed to have me timed pretty well. I guess I was lucky they didn't make solid contact. I just have to give credit to my teammates who did an excellent job of backing me up in the early going."

Smith would settle down in the bottom of the fourth and then began to wreak havoc, striking out 11 of the next 18 batter he faced. His dominance, coupled with a strong offensive performance from the 4-5-6 portion of the lineup, proved to be the difference maker in the game.

"I think this was an excellent overall performance by all involved," said Portland Manager Carlos Febles, "I know the headlines tomorrow will be all about Smith throwing a perfect game, but this was really a team effort. Don't get me wrong, the kid showed some real promise tonight after digging deep and finding his rhythm, but it was our middle infield that carried us for the first few innings. This was an early season AA game, let's not act like he dominated the Yankees in Game 7 of the ALCS."

The question that now comes to mind is...Where does he go from here? One game is not a strong enough resume to warrant promotion to AAA or even the Big Show, but a performance like Monday's will also garner a wealth of attention from opposing coaches and they GM in Boston.

"I think he needs to string together a few strong performances to show that this was not just a fluke," said Portland Pitching Coach Kevin Walker, "remember that he doesn't have overpowering stuff. He will need to find a way to consistently spot his off-speed stuff on the corners to be a more effective starter in the long run. If he can do that, I don't think we will have him down in AA much longer."

Final Line:

W (1-0) 9 IP, 0H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 11K, 0.00 ERA
        Last edited by TheVestedOne; 01-04-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

April 16, 2016

Hartford Yard Goats at Portand Sea Dogs

In the follow up to his career debut perfect game, Bryan Smith, again found domination with his off-speed pitches to pitch a second consecutive perfect game in a 2-0 win over the Hartford Yard Goats.

Unlike his debut, Smith seemed to dominate from the first pitch and showed very little nervous energy, channeling his attention toward getting ahead in the count and allowing his off-speed pitches to baffle the opposing lineup.

"Coach Walker told me that I have all the talent necessary to take control of the game," said Smith, "I just needed to focus on the things I can control and let the rest come as it will. I threw a really good bullpen yesterday and thought that I had good control on the Knuckle-Curve coming in. I know that this probably won't last, especially as team get more and more looks at my off-speed stuff and get a fell for the kind of moment I bring."

Hartford Coach Darin Everson seemed baffled as to how his team could adjust to the rookie's skill on the hill. He did make a series of lineup changes moving every left handed bat he had in to the lineup in an effort to give is team a chance to get good looks at both the movement and directional drift of Smith's stuff, but the adjustments reaped no tangible result.

"The kids a stud, plain and simple," said Everson, "I played seven years of profession ball, most of which came in AA and never saw a prospect like this come through the pipeline. I remember that A.J. Burnett and Mike Mussina has really effective knucle-curves when they were coming up, but this kid's movement is special."

Final Line:

W (2-0) 9 IP, 0H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 16K, 0.00 ERA
          Last edited by TheVestedOne; 01-04-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

April 21, 2016

Portland Sea Dogs at Hartford Yard Goats

In what seemed like a repeat of his first career start, rookie sensation Bryan Smith struggled in the opening inning, but once again found his groove in a 2-0 victory over the Hartford Yard Goats on Thursday Evening. The pressbox was packed with journalists as word about the pudgy kid from Arkansas had finally reached the ears of nation media outlets like ESPN, Fox Sports, and MLB Network.

Though Thursday was clearly his shakiest start of the year, the pundits didn't leave disappointed. Smith rebounded from a wild first inning to fan a respectable 11 batters before giving way to the closer in the 9th.

"It didn't feel like I had my best stuff tonight," said Smith, "I really struggled to keep my fastball down, I couldn't find my knuckle-curve early on, and I'm still not comfortable with my slurve when behind in the count. Coach Febles (Portand Manager) told me coming in that it's harder to dominant a team the second time you see them. I now know what he meant, because it felt like they saw every pitch I threw really well."

It appeared in that opening inning that Hartford might be the first team to tag the phenom for a run, putting two runs on with 0 outs. However, Smith responded to strike out the side and then rely on his defense in later innings.

"That was really heart breaking for me personally," said Hartford skipper Darin Everson, "we watch a lot of video after our last bout with the kid yesterday and Coach Burba and felt we had a good game plan for attacking his off-speed stuff. We took some good hacks and made much better contact, but their defense was in rare form and really helped him out."

Smith's success in the face of early adversity should bode well for his progress moving forward a point which was not lost on Febles.

"The kids got talent...no doubt in my mind that he is a legitimate pitching prospect," said Felbes, "what I wanted to see was him fight through a pressure situation. He really hadn't been tested before today and when pushed he responded well. He got those early control problems out of the way, lengthened his delivery just a little and did much better from the second inning on. In most games a team like Hartford would have pushed at least one run across in that situation, but he was able to stave off any runs."

Final Line:

W (3-0) 8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 0.00 ERA
            Last edited by TheVestedOne; 01-04-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

April 26, 2016

Portland Sea Dogs at Binghamton Mets

In a battle of the two top team in the Eastern Division, Bryan Smith pitched a one hit shutout to propel the Portland Sea Dogs to a 6-0 victory over the Binghamton Mets on Tuesday. The win was Smith's fourth straight open his career and has further solidified his position as arguably the best pitching prospect in the Boston Red Sox Farm System.

"I really felt like I was back to my normal command," said Smith, "It's pretty crazy, because I didn't pitch my normal bullpen on Sunday and I thought I might have to fight through some early control issue again, but it was all good."

His command was a think of beauty as he seemed to settle into a rhythm of fastball-fastball-offspeed in the early going that baffled the Mets the entire game.

"Amazing...That's all I can say," said Mets manager Pedro Lopez, "The kids doesn't really overpower you. His stuff is not what I would call great...he just has impeccable placement and varies the speed so much that you can't really get good wood on it. I was telling our guys that we should be able to rough him up after pounding the Sea Dogs prior starter, who has a 102 heater, for six runs last night."

That notion was easier said than done as Smith switched between his knuckle-curve and slurve with relative ease, while place both pitches in one of the corners for the entire match.

"The kid keeps getting better and better," said Portland manager Carlos Febles, "he's gonna get promoted soon. I don't know if it will be to the Big League squad or to AAA, but he's not staying her much longer. Don't get me wrong, I think he has some things to work on, like picking up another pitch with some speed on it, but at this point he need more of a challenge then he is getting."

Final Line:

W (4-0) 9IP, 1H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 12K, 0.00 ERA

Comment

May 2, 2016

Binghamton Mets at Portland Sea Dogs

Powered by a career best 17 strikeouts, Portland Sea Dogs rookie sensation Bryan Smith pitched his fifth straight gem to defeat Eastern Division Rival Bighamton 5-0 on Monday. In what has been a trend for Smith, in his second appearance against a divisional opponent he allowed more overall contact in the opening innings before finding his rhythm across the middle innings.

"I felt good from the first pitch," said Smith, "I have to give a lot of credit to coach Febles and coach Walker, because they knew exactly what I needed to do to be successful. The second time a team see's you, especially in a short period of time, cane be tough. We worked in by bullpen session to rework the way I deliver the ball home, just small mechanical stuff, and it seemed to work well."

In what might be the weirdest stat of the night, the two hits that Smith allowed were to players in later half of the Mets lineup.

"Baseball is funny game," said Portland Pitching Coach Kevin Walker, "both of the hits he surrendered where on slow grounders that were very playable. Sometimes you can be so elusive with you pitches that you actually hurt your defense because no one gets solid contact on it. I think that is what you saw from him tonight. He had really good stuff, so good that he didn't get routine grounders."

Final Line:

W (5-0) 9IP, 2H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 17K, 0.00 ERA

Comment

May 7, 2016

Portland Sea Dogs at Reading Fighting Phils

In what seems to be a recent trend, Portland rookie phenom Bryan Smith, again flirted with the history books on Saturday when he absolutely dismantled the Reading Fighting Phils to secure a 5-0 victory in his sixth straight quality start of the year.

"I don't know what to say, it felt like everything was just working for me tonight," said Smith, "my fastball was free and smooth, my off-speed stuff seemed to have more bite than I have ever seen, and I felt like I had tremendous control. I know this might seem crazy given how well my first few games have gone, but I really didn't think I could pitch this well."

The Saturday feature was easily the clearest comparison the Portland has been able to make between their young star a major league talent has he was pitted against former Texas Rangers hurler Matt Harrison who is with the Reading while working his way back from a lingering back injury.

Smith out-dueled is counter part in almost every way, buzzing fast-ball after fastball right through the zone, while whipping knuckle-curve and slurves into the corners with masterful accuracy.

"He's got some really nice stuff," said Harrison, "as a pitcher you can usually pickup on a guys that has figured out how to be successful and he has clearly done that. Though I didn't face him in the box, thank god for that by the way, I could tell from the other guys reactions that he had them complete guessing a where and how was putting is pitches in."

The one blemish on Smith's night was a eighth inning walk, which seemed to be a sign that he had lost his touch with his off-speed pitches, Portland coach Carlos Felbes said that was far from the case.

"That walk was on me," said Febles, "I knew coming in that the guy in their 8 spot would chase pitches up and away. Unfortunately, tonight he seemed to have a better eye than he normally does and he layed off two straight pitches that we purposely tried to get him to chase. I call all of our pitches our starters throw after seventh. I know they are tired and want to make sure we aren't letting that fatigue affect the way we attack the plate. Rather than leaving it up to them I relay what we want in. I just didn't work out in that one instance."

Final Line:

W (6-0) 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 21 K, 0.00 ERA

Comment

May 12, 2016

Binghamton Mets at Portland Sea Dogs

With the Eastern League Playoff Picture beginning to take shape, rookie sensation Bryan Smith pitched another masterful shutout as the top seeded Portland Sea Dogs defeated the second seeded Binghamton Mets 3-0 on Thursday evening.

Smith took control from the opening pitch capitalizing on a series of agrees plate appearances to collect strike outs against 5 of the first 8 batters he faced.

"They came out really aggressive from the opening pitch," said Smith, "I felt like I had good stuff coming in, but was a little surprised by how they seemed to chase a lot of the pitch I put just outside the zone. Coach Walker has been telling me that I need to work on keeping my pitches down and forcing batters to chase pitches that are just outside. I tried that tonight and I thing the results were pretty good."

The Met's only muster one real threat the entire night, that coming in the top of the sixth, byusing a Bryce Shakelford single and an error Kelvin Witt to place runs on first and third with two outs. However, Smith would respond by striking out Robert Maxwell with his next three pitches to preserve the shutout.

"That might have been one time I really thought Smith might have been on the verge of giving up a run all season," said Portland Manager Carlos Febles, "I was ready to go to the pen if we had too. That didn't need to happen though as he came right back with three Big League quality pitches to get out of the jam."

Smith would end his night 12 total strikeouts, including three each against Binghamton's second and third slot batters (Erik Carmona and Julio Perez) in route to his seventh straight shutout.

Final Line:

W (7-0) 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 12 K, 0.00 ERA

Comment

May 13, 2016

For Immediate Release:

The Boston Red Sox today announced the following roster moves relative to the 2016 Major League and 40-man rosters:
                      • Selected the contract of RHP Bryan Smith (No. 85) from AA Portland.
                      • Designated RHP Joe Kelly for assignment.
                      Smith, 22, was the 12th overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft and was promoted following a successful early season in Double-A Portland where he finished 7-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 7 starts (62 IP, 6 H, 0 R /0 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 100 SO, .071 avg). This place his as the top organizational pitcher in innings (62) and strikeouts (100) and wins (7). He will make his major league start next week when Boston begins a short three game road trip to Kansas City.
                      Last edited by TheVestedOne; 01-05-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

May 17, 2016

Boston Red Sox vs. Kansas City Royals

In his major league debut, Boston Red Sox rookie hurler Bryan Smith, pitched what was arguable one of the best games of the early season to lead his team to 13-0 victory over the defending World Series Champion Kansas City Royals at Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City, MO.

Smith, who is regarded as one of the most deceptive young pitchers in MLB, showed veteran composure and fortitude as he traversed his way through one of the leagues most effective lineups in route to the one hit shutout.

"We had no answer for his stuff," said Royals manager Ned Yost, "to be honest we didn't really know what to expect from the kid since he's threw less than 100 innings in AA before getting the call up. You don't see that very often and I can tell why Dave (Dombrowski) made the move to pull him up to the big leagues so quickly. The kids stuff is electric and he's going to give the league fits until someone figures him out."

Smith only allowed one hit, that coming a slow grounder that Ichiro Suzuki beat up the line in the bottom of the first, in nine innings of work, while issuing one walk to Royals infielder Omar Infante.

"I don't know what to say," said Smith, "I was so excited to get my first major league start that the entire game is just a blur. I think I was basically numb for the first six innings and finally realized just how special of a moment it was to not only pitch, but pitch pretty well against the defending champions."

Final Line:

W (1-0) 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 12 K, 0.00 ERA

Comment

Working...
                        X