Dev Journal: 7 New Minor League Stadiums
Old 02-05-2013 , 05:13 PM   #1  
Hello everyone. I’m Jody Kelsey, Sr. Producer for MLB 13 The Show, and here’s a quick look at some of our new Minor League Ballparks in MLB 13 The Show.

Past MLB The Show releases have featured a variety of Minor League ballparks, and this year MLB 13 The Show will introduce an additional 7 for users to enjoy. Today I’m going to give you a sneak peek and 3 of them, with insight from the Environment Artist himself on what inspired the idea behind the stadium.

First up, here’s a shot of Bayfront Park. Environment Artist: Kevin Weinstein

Field Dimensions: Right & Left Field Lines 330ft, Right & Left Center Field 390ft, Center Field 403ft

The background idea for Bayfront Park comes from viewing the Santa Monica Pier, which features a Ferris Wheel displaying a fantastic light show as it rotates around. Kevin decided to incorporate the west coast look of the Santa Monica Pier, blended with a Coney Island style for the unique background you see beyond the right field wall.

Next up is Crystal Falls Stadium. Environment Artist: Franz Borowitz

Field Dimensions: Left Field 345ft, Center Field 420ft, Right Center Field 365ft, Right Field 330ft

Franz initially got the inspiration to create Crystal Falls from an Art Deco stadium in Florida. The arches in the stadium reminded him of the old Spanish style Missions in California where he grew up. Franz thought the surrounding landscape of the stadium should represent the spirit of baseball when it first began, taking place in a small town setting out in the country for people to enjoy the game in a simpler time of life. You can see a train in the background that brings in people from all over the county to enjoy a day out in the sun watching their favorite hometown team.

And last on our sneak peek is Stateman Park. Environment Artist: Sito Francisco

Field Dimensions: Right & Left Field Lines 336ft, Center Field 390ft

Sito initially got his idea watching a late night Home buying show. In one particular episode was a story of a couple and their search for a place to live in the city. The one thing that stuck out about this couple was their love of baseball and living close to a ballpark. While thinking about creating his minor league ballpark, Sito thought about this couple living in a downtown area of a city, featuring a stadium where they could go see a ballgame close to home.

That finishes off our sneak peak into some of the New Minor League ballparks coming to you this year in MLB 13 The Show. Spring training is only a few weeks away and Baseball is Back!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramone_PS3CAP000.PNG
Views:	164338
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	133  

Last edited by Russell_05; 02-05-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Comments:

Old 02-05-2013 , 06:02 PM
St. Loser

7, but only give us 3 in blog??

Old 02-05-2013 , 08:26 PM
Pre-Historic MLB Titan

Welcome Jody Kelsey, always wonderful to have a Senior Producer on board TSN providing MTS related news. Don't be a stranger, let us see you try and get that posting AVG up.

Quote:
Today I’m going to give you a sneak peek and 3 of them, with insight from the Environment Artist himself on what inspired the idea behind the stadium.
Ahh very nice to see.. Bayfront Park is my choice for now considering when I first viewed it did have resemblance of Coney Island (Astroland/Luna Park) world famous Cyclone which is married by The Wonder Wheel. Plus we all know Park Rides are better looking at night.. (hint, hint) Nice job, Kevin Weinstein

Old 02-05-2013 , 10:35 PM
Banned

I just hope the batter-eye is big enough. Without the stand a small batter-eye can't be extremely annoying if you play with a custom catcher cam a little bit closer to the pitcher so the PCI start where the ball is release. The ball would then be release over the batter -eye in bright sunshine. Impossible to see.

So please make the batter-eye big.

Also, you add 7 stadiums. Great. But did you delete any? That's a good question.

How many where they in 2012? I don't remembered and don't own the game anymore. I just checked in 2011, we had 19 minor league and 10 spring training stadiums.
Old 02-05-2013 , 11:50 PM
The Angel From Vietnam

Love that old time feel. These are great for roster makers who make the classic rosters of yesteryear.

Would like to see an option to assign stadiums to teams in FRANCHISE mode.
Old 02-06-2013 , 08:20 AM

My fav out of the 3 is Crystal Falls Park. It reminds me of Chuchanski Park where the Fresno Grizzlies play. Minus the houses.
Old 02-06-2013 , 08:29 AM
St. Loser

Excited to see remaining 4, these are some great concepts

Old 02-06-2013 , 09:52 AM
Default SPRING TRAINING BALLPARK´S in mlb 13

Thank ´s for sharing with us (3) of the 7 new minor league ballpark´s they look great i have a question regarding spring training ballpark´s of the mlb team´s (phillie´s, bosox etc). Will there be ANY OF THOSE BALLPARK´S (bright house field or jet blue park "mini fenway ") in the show 13 ???. It would be great if u could add a few of the realistic ballpark´s to 13.
Old 02-06-2013 , 10:03 AM
Pre-Historic MLB Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne-44 View Post

Also, you add 7 stadiums. Great. But did you delete any? That's a good question.
KeyWord: Bolded
Quote:
this year MLB 13 The Show will introduce an additional 7 for users to enjoy.

Old 02-07-2013 , 11:16 AM
MLB The Show Developers
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne-44 View Post
I just hope the batter-eye is big enough. Without the stand a small batter-eye can't be extremely annoying if you play with a custom catcher cam a little bit closer to the pitcher so the PCI start where the ball is release. The ball would then be release over the batter -eye in bright sunshine. Impossible to see.

So please make the batter-eye big.

How many where they in 2012? I don't remembered and don't own the game anymore. I just checked in 2011, we had 19 minor league and 10 spring training stadiums.
I personally went through each Minor League stadium in MLB 13 (including existing ones) and made sure the batter-eye was big enough to prevent losing the ball. That's bugged me for a while, too!