MLB 13 The Show: Hitting Enhancements
Old 01-30-2013 , 06:15 PM   #1  
Hitting is such an important aspect in baseball, and it’s an area we continually strive to make as realistic as possible. Last year we introduced our True Ball Physics engine to the franchise for ultra-realistic ball physics. This year we've done even more work to really make this area of the game as dynamic as possible with true to life outcomes. Take a look at what we've done to make hitting in MLB '13 The Show more accessible to everyone.

We really want to make hitting more streamlined for players. Beginner mode allows people who have never played The Show — or have struggled with it — to learn the fundamentals of hitting. It’s meant to teach you the basics of Plate Discipline, Pitch Recognition and Timing.

This mode uses adaptive A.I. that only advances as you do. If you take longer to get the hang of hitting in The Show, you won’t be forced to advance. The A.I. will only advance once you've passed a certain threshold at each level.

In regards to the Push/Pull hitting Trajectories Engine, MLB.com gives us spray chart data for all current MLB players. This data is then imported into a program, which tells us what type of hitter the player should be in game. All hitters in the game fall under one of five hitter types: Push, Pull, Balanced, Extreme Push or Extreme Pull. Both A.I. and human players will now hit more balls to their preferred side based on this attribute. Generated players in franchise and Road to the Show modes are given a random hitter type. However, it’s a weighted random number so you won’t see a ton of guys in the draft from year-to-year who are labeled as extreme push hitters etc…

Furthermore, the timing window across all difficulty settings has been increased to allow everyone more time to react to the ball. While this change will lead to more offense, it’s relative to each difficulty setting. For example: if you hit .220 on All-Star last year, and you play the exact same way this year, you will probably hit in the .260 range.

We've detailed what was in the video, now here’s some info about what wasn't in the video: There are a total of 16 batting views, and you can even create your own. Every batting view in the game has been re-created to increase pitch recognition. You will see more variability between gold glove type fielders and those players who aren't known for their fielding prowess. Lastly, there are now less ground rule doubles in the game, and wind will now have less of an effect on the ball.

Let us know in the comments which enhancements to The Show you’re most looking forward to testing out!

For more information about MLB 13 The Show, visit www.facebook.com/mlbtheshow and @mlbtheshow on Twitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitting-enhancements.jpg
Views:	158730
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	132  

Last edited by LanceL_86; 01-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Comments:

Old 01-30-2013 , 09:17 PM
Pre-Historic MLB Titan

This MLB'13 Hitting video was very informative and viewing it in HD only begs buy me.

Majority of my interest of this Thread topic lies inbetween:
1:27 mark- Most definitely looking towards the colaboration between MLB.com & MLB'13 spray chart and how the actual results will transfer onto screen using the push/pull method.

0:27 mark- Possibly a video/blog insight on the HomeTeam/Shared Multiplayer options

- Would be nice to see all 16 batting images for the TSN community or the newly added ones

- BTW that pic of Ryan Braun swinging in Wrigley Field almost looks like it's in 3D

Off topic Blooper:
1:21 mark- Don't worry cub fans, Even though it may look like a everyone is chilling and walking ontop of a green outfield tarp. This video was done from a pre-build of the game, so the stairs & chairs should be included by March 5th.

Old 01-31-2013 , 07:55 PM
Banned

Great!

No biggie, but I wondering if the following statement about 2:40 in is completely accurate:

"The initial path of a hit is determined ENTIRELY by Swing timing, ball position and Power."

Didn't you just said previously that it is also determined by the hitter push/pull tendency.

Anyway, I still get the idea.

Keep it up!
Old 02-02-2013 , 08:04 AM
Default Awesome to see

that home run by Braun @ Wrigley Field. I hope this year players are actually able to hit baseballs farther than 3 rows into the seats in the outfield for home runs in Exhibition mode. I want to be able to see home runs in the 2nd deck, or into the plaza, or very far into the seats.
Old 02-03-2013 , 01:28 AM

Good stuff! Did anyone notice the new shoe design on the Giants player?
Old 02-15-2013 , 01:47 AM

At around the 1:35 mark on the "balance" field the Left 33 C 34 R 33. Are you saying that is going change for the player lets say playing RTTS? If so i've been waiting for this since MLB the Show 08.
Old 03-05-2013 , 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne-44 View Post
Great!

No biggie, but I wondering if the following statement about 2:40 in is completely accurate:

"The initial path of a hit is determined ENTIRELY by Swing timing, ball position and Power."

Didn't you just said previously that it is also determined by the hitter push/pull tendency.

Anyway, I still get the idea.

Keep it up!
I think the initial direction is influenced by timing, ball position and power. Push and pull tendencies add hook and slice more drastically. Plus pull tendency hitters probably have hot zones more to the inside. I could be totally wrong, bit that is how I interpretted it.
Old 03-05-2013 , 04:42 PM
Default Guess Pitch Feature

Are you aware of the guess pitch feature change? I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if it's intentional, but if you guess both pitch location and pitch type, and only guess ONE correctly, it will register as you've guessed ZERO correctly.
Old 03-11-2013 , 07:19 AM
Default Push-Pull

Where would I go to find out the push pull tendencies of a player? If it is a created player, can I change the tendency? If I can, how do I do it?
Old 03-11-2013 , 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernz2051 View Post
Are you aware of the guess pitch feature change? I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if it's intentional, but if you guess both pitch location and pitch type, and only guess ONE correctly, it will register as you've guessed ZERO correctly.
im definitley not a fan of that... the only change i dont like this year.