Dev Journal: MLB 13 The Show Play Now Rated
By: LanceL_86 LanceL_86 is offline
Old 02-15-2013 , 04:15 PM   #1  
Nick Livingston here, I just wanted to get some information out about our new Online Rated Play in MLB® 13 The Show™. We set out to add a little depth to Play Now Online matches and we’ve done that by incorporating some familiar elements from other areas of the game.


We’ve tied in the Rating and Matchmaking system we use in Diamond Dynasty, with the pitcher energy system we use in our season based modes. I’m going to leverage our new in-game tutorial system by showing you some screencaps of the brief introduction you’d see the first time you select an Online Rated Match in MLB® 13.


We now have an intelligent way of measuring who is the best of the best on the Leaderboard. You don’t have to play tons of games to be at the top of the leaderboard, you just have to prove that you can hang with the better players. Even if that means a game or two a week, you will find your place on the leaderboard before long.


Adding the Rating system allows us to intelligently deduce a user’s skill. Our system is based on the same Elo algorithm utilized in the Bowl Championship Series, professional Chess circuit, and countless competitive online video games.

Adding the teams and starting pitchers into the matchmaking equation means that you aren’t inherently at a disadvantage for picking a weaker team or pitcher. This is because we moved Team and Pitcher select in front of searching for a match. Now we can account for it in matchmaking, as well as in determining how much the match outcome will impact your User Rating.


Tying in pitcher energy means Online Rated Matches won’t be littered with ace pitchers every game, and adds small element of game-to-game strategy. Pitcher energy is tied to the pitcher slots, not the pitchers themselves. You’ll want to utilize a pitching rotation whether you always play with the White Sox, or like to mix up your team selection on a whim. This also applies to the bullpen, so you’ll want to put some thought into how long you keep your relievers in the game as well.

See you guys on March 5th. Come ready to play, I know I will! #beastmode
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RatedOnline.PNG
Views:	179730
Size:	811.7 KB
ID:	144   Click image for larger version

Name:	RatedTut1.PNG
Views:	6565
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	145   Click image for larger version

Name:	RatedTut2.PNG
Views:	6093
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	146   Click image for larger version

Name:	RatedTut3.PNG
Views:	6260
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	147  


 Comments:

  #2  
Old 02-15-2013 , 07:25 PM
HustlinOwl HustlinOwl is online now
Pi$$ On St. Loser
Default

**** yea, lovin this
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2013 , 07:29 PM
HustlinOwl HustlinOwl is online now
Pi$$ On St. Loser
Default

MLBTS knows how to do it
Quote:
We now have an intelligent way of measuring who is the best of the best on the Leaderboard. You don’t have to play tons of games to be at the top of the leaderboard, you just have to prove that you can hang with the better players. Even if that means a game or two a week, you will find your place on the leaderboard before long.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2013 , 01:38 AM
etienne-44 etienne-44 is offline
Ive been to 8 mlb stadium
Default

Great !

This seem to be the year of ajustings thing and making it the right way...except for Guess pitch, improved, but still present on DD mode...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2013 , 10:22 AM
VENOM1120 VENOM1120 is offline
East Harlem's Best
Default

Is this a way to deflate undeserved egos. You know the person with a record of 114-10 but he scammed his way to the top and boasts about it while a person who has a record of 54-20 but most of his win/losses are against pretty good players and pretty good games but he's in the middle of the pack on the leader boards. This type of thing made me cring last year after checking the box scores of certain "top players" and seeing incomplete games and then when you play them youll know why they have that record. Exploits!
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2013 , 09:03 AM
Xish1970 Xish1970 is offline
Senior Member
Default

awesome maybe now I wont have to play this game 8 hours a day take vacation from work ect to keep pace.. This opens up so many more opportunities to play my rtts or other games for that matter without worrying Im falling behind.. DD was a similar system to this I didnt play a game since april and still finished in the top 20 this is going to be awesome ty...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2013 , 10:35 AM
cardinalbird5 cardinalbird5 is offline
Senior Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOM1120 View Post
Is this a way to deflate undeserved egos. You know the person with a record of 114-10 but he scammed his way to the top and boasts about it while a person who has a record of 54-20 but most of his win/losses are against pretty good players and pretty good games but he's in the middle of the pack on the leader boards. This type of thing made me cring last year after checking the box scores of certain "top players" and seeing incomplete games and then when you play them youll know why they have that record. Exploits!
No, quality of schedule will be taken into account. You don't get the same amount of points per win. It depends on how high your opponent is ranked. Do you guys even read the article?

Why is everyone so negative towards online when they don't even play it? Who was it you faced that that boosted their record? If it was in exhibition then yeah that means nothing. However this year people won't be able to do that.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2013 , 01:04 PM
jjdaggas32 jjdaggas32 is offline
Senior Member
Default

I wonder with what Lance said, "you won't only use the White Sox ace" if that was directed towards me since i only use the whitesox lol.

Peavy all the way bb!, but for the love of god stop throwing it down the middle Peavy!

And for all of you haterz on me, "I have a big surprise for everyone on March 20th lol".
__________________




"Relax chump I'm only studying yr garbage"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2013 , 01:26 PM
cardinalbird5 cardinalbird5 is offline
Senior Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdaggas32 View Post
I wonder with what Lance said, "you won't only use the White Sox ace" if that was directed towards me since i only use the whitesox lol.

Peavy all the way bb!, but for the love of god stop throwing it down the middle Peavy!

And for all of you haterz on me, "I have a big surprise for everyone on March 20th lol".
Yeah man you are the only white sox fan out there lol...jk.

I think Livingston did the video and he is a white sox fan. If Lance did it then that was probably who he was referring to.

A team like the Cardinals will be a popular pick when users have to use their 4th/5th starters. Garcia, Westbrook, Miller, Lynn, Kelly, etc. will be some of the best 3-5 starters in the game.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2013 , 04:14 PM
HITTERSAURUS-REX HITTERSAURUS-REX is offline
Pre-Historic MLB Titan
Default

Lancel_86 created thread, MLBLivingston is the Author, including being a huge White Sox Fan. Lancel enjoys his San Diego Padres..
__________________

Stepping into your PS4 Batter's Box May 6th
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 PM.