Old 06-28-2013 , 05:52 PM
Banned

mdawk13
Default Balk balk balk balk balk balk

I noticed from experimenting that using the meter it is pretty easy to balk with. I use pulse, and it is very hard to balk. I am tired of playing people, and they balk 10 times a game. I dont want to turn it off either though and get quick pitched when i play someone good. I hope in 2014 they make it harder to balk not because i have trouble with it, but the average player using the meter is going to give you like 10 bases a game. They already are at a disadvantage before the balks. Maybe a limit also, or a forced set period if they balk over 3 times. Perhaps even being able to turn off balks during the game if you notice someone is doing it constantly. Rules are good but when a guy cant throw a ball to the catcher without balking, the game with them becomes a joke. Ive played a lot of games, and no lie, i think ive seen 1000 balks. I doubt there has been this many in baseball history. Ive come to the conclusion the meter is the culprit when the average player uses it. If some of these people are doing it by constantly pressing buttons without locating pitches then they deserve it though. I did the meter for the first time, and it is a lot easier to balk on for me.

Last edited by mdawk13; 06-28-2013 at 06:07 PM.
 Comments:
Old 06-28-2013 , 07:27 PM

DomeBay33 Bat Boy

I think what you're saying may only apply to fastballs. Sometimes the lag makes it seem as if your pitch selection didn't register, so when you try to select again you actually start the motion a little early causing a balk.

I would think the fix accross all interfaces is just slow down.

Although I've only tried pulse when it first came out, it makes sense it would be tougher to balk using pulse as you have to wait the see the pulse rate to try and get the smallest circle possible.

Old 06-28-2013 , 09:10 PM

mlblover Bat Boy

From the very limited amount i have played on line over the years, i wish they would get rid of the ability to button push through cut scenes to speed up games. i would love to be able to play a game as if i was playing off line and just let it all play out...

i have used meter all year long and haven't seen one balk off line or seen the cpu do it either.... oh that is because i let everything play out and don't try to get through a game in under 30 minutes..

The ONLY Channel for Serious Baseball Fans!
Old 06-28-2013 , 09:29 PM

A_GENERIC_A Bat Boy

I get pulse pitch lag fastball balks enough to be annoying. Did it today with the bases loaded. Lag helped to get the bases loaded in the first place. Its pretty easy to do unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2013 , 02:21 AM

danatural23 Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover View Post
From the very limited amount i have played on line over the years, i wish they would get rid of the ability to button push through cut scenes to speed up games. i would love to be able to play a game as if i was playing off line and just let it all play out...

i have used meter all year long and haven't seen one balk off line or seen the cpu do it either.... oh that is because i let everything play out and don't try to get through a game in under 30 minutes..
The only way to truely appreciate the graphics and the details put into this game, is by not skipping through anything. Ive played about a handful of games vs the cpu (franchise) and skipped nothing. The games lasted about an hour and half each. They were pretty low scoring games from what I can remember, but imagine how much longer it would take if it was a high scoring game. Offline is ok I guess, but to play a game online for almost 2 hours each, is way too much. Im not a speed demon but I am not a snail neither.
Old 06-29-2013 , 07:35 AM

danatural23 Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawk13 View Post
I noticed from experimenting that using the meter it is pretty easy to balk with. I use pulse, and it is very hard to balk. I am tired of playing people, and they balk 10 times a game. I dont want to turn it off either though and get quick pitched when i play someone good. I hope in 2014 they make it harder to balk not because i have trouble with it, but the average player using the meter is going to give you like 10 bases a game. They already are at a disadvantage before the balks. Maybe a limit also, or a forced set period if they balk over 3 times. Perhaps even being able to turn off balks during the game if you notice someone is doing it constantly. Rules are good but when a guy cant throw a ball to the catcher without balking, the game with them becomes a joke. Ive played a lot of games, and no lie, i think ive seen 1000 balks. I doubt there has been this many in baseball history. Ive come to the conclusion the meter is the culprit when the average player uses it. If some of these people are doing it by constantly pressing buttons without locating pitches then they deserve it though. I did the meter for the first time, and it is a lot easier to balk on for me.
I see what you are saying, but the underlying issue here is not the meter itself, its the user. Either guys dont know what a balk is or they just get caught up in the moment where they are just trying to fly through the innings. You cant put a limit on how many times you can balk per game because balks are a part of baseball. You dont see a thousand balks happen in real life because the pitcher always learn from their mistakes. Where in here for some reason, people do not. If a pitcher was to lets say balk 10 times in a game in real life, the umpire for the 10th time would still call out the balk and award the runner the next base... I always use the meter and ive only balked once and that was due to lag. Like you, I do get frustrated when guys are constantly balking my runners from 1st to home plate. To be honest though, they deserve that because they dont bother learning from the first time they balked.
Old 06-29-2013 , 10:25 AM

A_GENERIC_A Bat Boy

Have a USB keyboard? Plug it in and send them a quick how to or should i say how to avoid message. Instead of complaining about excessive balks make it a teachable moment. I've done this multiple times.
Old 06-29-2013 , 10:32 AM

cardinalbird5 Bat Boy

I've balked 0 times out of 300 or so games...I don't see how my opponents can be this non-responsive.

Old 06-29-2013 , 11:50 AM

danatural23 Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_GENERIC_A View Post
Have a USB keyboard? Plug it in and send them a quick how to or should i say how to avoid message. Instead of complaining about excessive balks make it a teachable moment. I've done this multiple times.
Depending how my opponent plays the game, I would send them a msg after the game about balking. I dont send msgs during the game to anybody. Id rather pay attention to whats going on in the game. Believe me, people can learn about rules themselves. Even Matt Vasgersian says how to avoid balking when they do it. He says something along the lines of " and the runners advance on a balk due to the pitcher not coming to a set." Something like that.
Old 06-29-2013 , 12:13 PM

A_GENERIC_A Bat Boy

Some people play with no volume. They don't hear anything. Sending a message during the game isn't all that difficult. Pause the game for 15 seconds or so. You don't really need to concentrate when your runners are balking around. To each his own.