Dev Blog: Diamond Dynasty Extra Innings
Old 03-12-2014 , 11:04 AM   #1  
In MLB '14 The Show, we've added a whole new way to compete against other players, even when you’re away from your PlayStation. Your Diamond Dynasty team is always prepared to compete in an offline setting, earning you bonus rewards to be claimed the next time you log in. When online, you'll have the opportunity to challenge other user-created teams in offline games where the AI controls their team. The next time that user logs in, he will see how his team fared against you.

When the AI controls your team, it utilizes the new Universal Profile Tendency Tracking system to replicate your play style. Whether you run a lot on the base paths, play a lot of small ball, or pepper the strike zone, other players will get a good sense of your on-field personality even when you’re not behind the controller. Click here to check out the full Dev Blog – New Universal Profile and Stubs. It’s worth noting that when the AI controls your team, your players do not accrue stats or lose games and your dynasty only stands to benefit financially.

Challenging other dynasties using the Extra Innings system is simple. Jump into a game against any team directly from Standings or your Extra Innings challenge history. Not sure who to challenge? Use the Play Ball Extra Innings option to get view recommended teams with varying team strengths. When you are controlling your team, your players record stats and lose games just as they would if you played a game against the MLB AI.

Extra Innings provides a more robust offline experience in MLB 14 The Show. While the Rating and Division system are still based on competitive online play, playing offline to evolve your players and build up your dynasty will be social, engaging, and more fun than ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mlb14-extrainnings.jpg
Views:	64710
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	425   Click image for larger version

Name:	UPTendencies.jpg
Views:	5376
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	426   Click image for larger version

Name:	EICheck-in.PNG
Views:	5196
Size:	798.4 KB
ID:	427   Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayBallEI.PNG
Views:	5287
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	428  

Last edited by LanceL_86; 03-12-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Comments:

Old 03-12-2014 , 11:41 AM
Pre-Historic MLB Titan

Pretty interesting to know your profile tendencies will try to mimick your personalities and head into battle..

Worth Noting:
- Your DD team is always prepared to compete in an offline setting
- Earning bonus rewards to be claimed the next time you log in
- After signing that user can see how his team fared against you.
- Your AI controlled team does not accrue stats or lose games and your dynasty only stands to benefit financially.

Old 03-12-2014 , 12:16 PM

If we are still able to have alt teams I can see myself using this with an alt team as a sort of learning and practice session. I'd also prefer not to mix CPU games with online head to head games with a main team.

It's cool to be able to earn a small amount of coin if someone picks your team as an opponent. What I can do with my team that would help influence others to choose it as an opponent?
Old 03-12-2014 , 02:38 PM

I like the new tendency/attribute charts. You can get a good scope of any given opponent quickly. Wonder if that'll be accessible here on tsn?? This scouting tool together with more matchmaking filters can lead to "mini leagues" within DD, or something like that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpoktz View Post
If we are still able to have alt teams I can see myself using this with an alt team as a sort of learning and practice session. I'd also prefer not to mix CPU games with online head to head games with a main team.

It's cool to be able to earn a small amount of coin if someone picks your team as an opponent. What I can do with my team that would help influence others to choose it as an opponent?
Alts with the extra innings feature and new UP sound more controversial than ever lol. Idk why exactly, but I hope alts are not possible or very costly to make and maintain...

As far as getting people to play against your team as CPU. I think a great logo/theme, as I'm sure you'll have as usual, and posting here will probably be enough. It'll be funny to see who's playing who's AI team lol. Another reason why I hope no alts.. let 'em hate or appreciate with true identity and team lol

Old 03-12-2014 , 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
What I can do with my team that would help influence others to choose it as an opponent?
The number 1 ranked team will for sure have a lot of challengers. And it will be somewhat unfair to the 2nd or 3rd ranked team.

On another subject, $5m to win against the CPU on Rookie difficulty seems like a very high rewards if I extrapolate what it could be at HOF level for instance.
Old 03-12-2014 , 03:16 PM

I think being able to play against yourself with an alt team can also be beneficial to see what type of tendencies your main team might have.

I don't think playing against yourself would necessarily be a way to rapidly "coin" up. A 184,444 reward for 3 games is really not that much anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne-44 View Post
The number 1 ranked team will for sure have a lot of challengers. And it will be somewhat unfair to the 2nd or 3rd ranked team.
Or, teams built like the Astros could be popular. I would always use the Astros CPU team to unlock a ballpark in DD 1.0.
Old 03-12-2014 , 03:47 PM

Quote:
I think being able to play against yourself with an alt team can also be beneficial to see what type of tendencies your main team might have.

I don't think playing against yourself would necessarily be a way to rapidly "coin" up. A 184,444 reward for 3 games is really not that much anyway.
I don't disagree with that. In fact I would think and I hope you could match up against your own team for those purposes. Like playing the same mlb team on play now. I could definitely learn a lot playing against an AI representation of myself... I'm just saying I hope alts aren't as common this year, which I'm confident they wont because the limitations set last year were effective. This year we'll see more checks I hope.

Old 03-12-2014 , 04:15 PM

I tried DD last year and could not really get into it, these new features sound promising. Gonna have to give it another look

Facebook Page: Cubfan23-Custom-Covers
Old 03-12-2014 , 11:28 PM
Montreal Baseball Project

Quote:
I don't think playing against yourself would necessarily be a way to rapidly "coin" up. A 184,444 reward for 3 games is really not that much anyways.
I agree that 184,444 isnt much, but i do think playing against yourself will be an easy way to coin up, unless there are preventative measures taken to assure some wont (for example) log in with an alt, play vs their main team 10 times a day and quit in the first inning every single time

Im with domebay on this, dont like alts, never really have, but hey... its become a big part of DD, and there are upsides too... i like this extra innings idea though... dont play vs the cpu much but i might try to now with the new universal profile thing... ive just always found it to be more exciting playing vs another human, and more gratifying when you beat them lol

no word on whether we can challenge other teams directly when the other user is online? I personally prefer random match ups over playing a predetermined opponent but some people would like to play their friends in DD (without having to hit play now at the exact same time, and back out if its not who they wanted to play)

Last edited by DEN_24; 03-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2014 , 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

Or, teams built like the Astros could be popular. I would always use the Astros CPU team to unlock a ballpark in DD 1.0.
yes but...losing to yourself kind of just sounds wrong LOL