Timing windows

SDS

I have a theory about how I can be early on one pitch and late on another in the same at bat. Sometimes it just doesn’t make sense, but I have concluded that the timing window is different from pitcher to pitcher and pitch to pitch. I think it may be tied to confidence or the attribute rating in that particular pitch. This is pure speculation but it is the only thing that explains the inconsistency of timing windows while hitting.

SDS

I think latency messes with our perception of timing windows. That’s why one game someone can throw 700mph and the next game they throw 698.

SDS

@vagimon said in Timing windows:

I think latency messes with our perception of timing windows. That’s why one game someone can throw 700mph and the next game they throw 698.

No doubt, online, there are tons of explanations just based on connection quality. I’m more talking about how even playing vs cpu in a moment or something, there is still a lot of inconsistency from pitch to pitch, at bat to at bat.

SDS

@halfbutt said in Timing windows:

No doubt, online, there are tons of explanations just based on connection quality. I’m more talking about how even playing vs cpu in a moment or something, there is still a lot of inconsistency from pitch to pitch, at bat to at bat.

Do you think the inconsistencies are deliberate or could their be wonkiness in the programming?

SDS

I think it's latency, but the reason its so noticeable this year is because the timing window is now so miniscule.

SDS

More great decisions by SDS

SDS

@halfbutt said in Timing windows:

Do you think the inconsistencies are deliberate or could their be wonkiness in the programming?

I have no idea. I don’t want to be creating conspiracies or anything but it really seems like it changes.

SDS

@maskedgrappler said in Timing windows:

I think it's latency, but the reason its so noticeable this year is because the timing window is now so miniscule.

This makes the most sense, but it still doesnt explain why sinkers seem to always come in at 105 MPH

SDS

Only change ups come in at 698mph. Sinkers are like 974mph in MLB stadiums.

SDS

@ComebackLogic said in Timing windows:

How are people able to enjoy playing online? Are some people just good enough and have fast enough reflexes to compensate for this? Maybe my advanced age and my natural limitations prevent me from
Adjusting But it’s super frustrating. I just find myself feeling helpless in some of these games. I haven’t heard the little billy argument in a while because I don’t see how little billy can even compete in this environment. Or maybe I’m in a different category than little billy. I’m in the Old Cornelius category and I don’t stand a chance.

SDS

How are people able to enjoy playing online? Are some people just good enough and have fast enough reflexes to compensate for this? Maybe my advanced age and my natural limitations prevent me from
Adjusting But it’s super frustrating. I just find myself feeling helpless in some of these games. I haven’t heard the little billy argument in a while because I don’t see how little billy can even compete in this environment. Or maybe I’m in a different category than little billy. I’m in the Old Cornelius category and I don’t stand a chance.

Little Billy —> Big Bill —> Old William

SDS

@DriveByTrucker17 said in Timing windows:

Little Billy —> Big Bill —> Old William

Old William. Exactly! I want SDS to start catering to me. I want to wear my sweatpants above my belly button. I want to yell at the neighborhood kids to stay off my lawn, and I want to start with my PCI in the middle of the zone and catch up to 100mph fastballs up and in!

SDS

I dunno, I’m a terrible hitter, so I try to pitch a good game and take what I can from it. I get more pleasure out of ringing someone up looking on the black with a nasty pitch than I do from hitting a home run. I’ve usually had a winning record in RS the last few years, but nothing special. In terms of coping with pitch speeds and timing windows, that’s not even my main handicap. My problem is myself first of all, because I’m impatient and I swing at terrible pitches all the time. If I could fix that I’d probably be three times better instantly. Then it’s PCI placement, I couldn’t count the amount of times I have good timing but bad PCI placement in a game. I tend to slam the PCI to the extreme edges instead of moving it in small smooth movements as required, which means I miss a lot of pitches in the zone or pop them up etc. Then the timing thing would be the next problem with hitting for me. I could work past it if I beat the first two.

I have everything and anything you can think of that might help with hitting, from wired internet to a monitor, Kontrol Freeks, gaming glasses, you name it, I’ve tried it. Obviously doesn’t help because every year I end up batting .250-.260 over a sample of about 2000 RS games. At least I’m consistent, even if I’m consistently bad, lol.

SDS

I dunno, I’m a terrible hitter, so I try to pitch a good game and take what I can from it. I get more pleasure out of ringing someone up looking on the black with a nasty pitch than I do from hitting a home run. I’ve usually had a winning record in RS the last few years, but nothing special. In terms of coping with pitch speeds and timing windows, that’s not even my main handicap. My problem is myself first of all, because I’m impatient and I swing at terrible pitches all the time. If I could fix that I’d probably be three times better instantly. Then it’s PCI placement, I couldn’t count the amount of times I have good timing but bad PCI placement in a game. I tend to slam the PCI to the extreme edges instead of moving it in small smooth movements as required, which means I miss a lot of pitches in the zone or pop them up etc. Then the timing thing would be the next problem with hitting for me. I could work past it if I beat the first two.

I have everything and anything you can think of that might help with hitting, from wired internet to a monitor, Kontrol Freeks, gaming glasses, you name it, I’ve tried it. Obviously doesn’t help because every year I end up batting .250-.260 over a sample of about 2000 RS games. At least I’m consistent, even if I’m consistently bad, lol.

I haven’t tried the glasses yet. I think I might start putting on a baseball uniform and a helmet to see if that helps.

SDS

Honestly, apart from a few event games, I haven’t played online much lately, and have been enjoying the game. Maybe I don’t enjoy playing online.

Usually after a week like this I feel super inspired to take my team into ranked. Last few times, that experience has ended in frustration.

SDS

I haven’t tried the glasses yet. I think I might start putting on a baseball uniform and a helmet to see if that helps.

FFS yes. I haven’t tried this yet and it’s obvious it could work. Glasses are pretty good if you spend a lot of time gaming, by the way.

SDS

Are broken and online needs to be fixed. Only affects some us sadly