How are diamond cards determined?

SDS

Is there a formula they use to determine if a card is a diamond? Because, I gotta say, there is nothing about this new Andre Dawson that seems diamond-worthy. He is average-to-above-average in contact, power, fielding. Good speed and fielding. But nothing off the charts. Has only one stat above 90 and most below 80. Just curious.

SDS

There is, don't know what it is though. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, but doesn't have any real strengths either. That usually gets you a low diamond.

SDS

Certain attributes are weighted more for different positions as well.

So a low diamond 1B with really bad fielding could be gold if his primary was RF, because defense is weighted higher for outfield as opposed to first base.

SDS

@maskedgrappler said in How are diamond cards determined?:

There is, don't know what it is though. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, but doesn't have any real strengths either. That usually gets you a low diamond.

I guess that makes sense. I've started the moments and so far he plays well.

SDS

@DriveByTrucker17 said in How are diamond cards determined?:

Certain attributes are weighted more for different positions as well.

So a low diamond 1B with really bad fielding could be gold if his primary was RF, because defense is weighted higher for outfield as opposed to first base.

I never thought about that. Dawson's best stats are in defense/arm which would be important as a CF, more than most positions.

SDS

The game has seemingly always had diamonds who are just average or solid across the board. Outside of his arm and his speed, JT Realmuto doesn't tick any boxes, but is diamond while Gary, who is an All-Star king is gold because he might be the maginot line of catchers