Does anyone value Speed Attributes?

SDS

As I've read a lot of posts about the makeup of people's lineups, I have to ask if most people don't value speed attributes like I do? Seems like more than half the players just go for the biggest sluggers but have a below-average speed. I always try to go after the best all-around 5-tool players. My avg speed on my DD squad is 79! Anyone else try to pay attention to the "wheels" the players have when building the lineup?

SDS

I totally do. Speed kills. I dont even steal that much, but taking tge extra base makes a big difference.

SDS

yes I do

SDS

I definitely pay attention to speed. I'm not great at hitting but I can bunt well also having that speed on the bases with the ability to bunt well gets the bases moving you never want to have a slow power hitter in front of the speed guy. Speed belongs at the top or bottom of the lineup.

SDS

I think the only guy below 75 speed on my team is Babe Ruth. I'll take a little speed advantage over a little hitting advantage anyway myself

SDS

Good to hear. Tidbit if anyone doesn't do this already. If you have a runner on 1B and you hit one into the outfield and your runner is headed for 3B, the outfielder in most scenarios will throw directly to 3B, allowing your batter to take 2B without a throw. Easy way to get 2 in scoring position and avoid a double-play setup.

SDS

I rarely steal, but I don't like slow runners clogging up the bases either. I also like to use high speed guys as a distraction to my opponent once they're on base. I don't take an extra step every time (personally I think that's Busch league since there isn't a good counter besides stepping off, but that's a whole different topic) but I'll throw an extra step in every once in a while to distract my opponent. That leads to more balls and helps me to work the count and get more walks or meatballs over the plate.

Slow power guys are almost exclusively bench bats for me. I don't have a strict cut off, but maybe 60-65 speed as a minimum. The only exception is for positions like catcher where sometimes it is hard to get a guy with decent speed.

SDS

@Catman9186 said in Does anyone value Speed Attributes?:

Good to hear. Tidbit if anyone doesn't do this already. If you have a runner on 1B and you hit one into the outfield and your runner is headed for 3B, the outfielder in most scenarios will throw directly to 3B, allowing your batter to take 2B without a throw. Easy way to get 2 in scoring position and avoid a double-play setup.

Good tip Maybe against the cpu but not with higher level players

SDS

Rollins, Biggio, Mantle, Trout, Walker are all 80+ speed and start or at least are on the bench of a godsquad.

I use Hornsby at 2nd with 70 speed.
Ruth with 60 at first
Brettt with 67? At third.

Nobody is really clogging the basepaths. This is a big reason why Biggio is considered S tier at catcher.

SDS

My entire team except for Posada has above avg wheels. Even my next slowest is Babe at 60, which really isn't that slow considering his bat and the fact he plays 1st. Sheffield in the 70's, Belli in the 80's, and Mantle, Trout, Biggio and CAP in the 90's. And if I need a runner for Posada i can use any of my bench guys and Biggio goes in at C.

Bench isn't slow either with Jackie, Griffey, Didi, Judge and Braun.

Everyone has power and speed, so I guess I value both?

SDS

I love speed since i am not the best at lining up the pci. I produce a lot of choppers and obviously the speed comes into play there.

Also speed kills for tagging up obviously. Every run matters for me.

SDS

i have a mix like i would if i was building an actual baseball team. Speed is a must but you need sluggers in there as well. Your slugger shouldnt be getting you singles so him being on second with 30-40 speed isnt a problem. And if he does what hes supposed to then he wont have to run the bases at all. I have a slugger at 3 and 4 and then 8. The rest are speed or just straight up balanced

SDS

Speed is a huge thing online. I try to have atleast two 90+ speed guys in the lineup at all times. I do feel like I have too many base pluggers in my lineup right now with Killebrew, Posada and soon to be Babe, although 60 is passable.

SDS

Speed is very important.

SDS

One word answer: YES