Stan Musial should be faster

SDS

I was interested in learning more about the career of Stan the Man so I did a little research.

Turns out he is 19th on the all time triples list, and no one ahead of him on the list played after WWII. Not even close. Only one guy was even born in the 20th century (1903).

The year this card represents, his MVP season of 1948, he led the majors with 18 triples.

Yet he only has 47 speed. Unless you’re playing at Polo, I don’t think 47 speed can even get a triple in this game.

Anyway, just sharing what I learned about the great Stan Musial...

SDS

Interesting stuff.. geezz SDS why you do my man Stan like this??

SDS

You can see where he hit those triples though and it's hard to gauge. 9 came at Sportsman's Park, 3 at Shibe, and 2 at Forbes. In 1948 all three were over 400ft in the alleys to CF. Much bigger parks back then. He does go up to 50 speed after Prestige.

I would think he was faster than that in his prime, but objectively how much faster should he be is really a guess.

SDS

Triples back then definitely had more to do with the parks than the speed of the runner. Lou Gehrig is 33rd all time in Triples and I don’t see anyone making this argument for him lol

SDS

@the_dragon1912 said in Stan Musial should be faster:

Triples back then definitely had more to do with the parks than the speed of the runner. Lou Gehrig is 33rd all time in Triples and I don’t see anyone making this argument for him lol

Gehrig’s SIG card last year had 64 speed. If Stan Musial had 64 speed, I would not have made this post.

SDS

@Chuck_Dizzle29 said in Stan Musial should be faster:

You can see where he hit those triples though and it's hard to gauge. 9 came at Sportsman's Park, 3 at Shibe, and 2 at Forbes. In 1948 all three were over 400ft in the alleys to CF. Much bigger parks back then. He does go up to 50 speed after Prestige.

I would think he was faster than that in his prime, but objectively how much faster should he be is really a guess.

He wasn't slow tho. He should be at about reggie jackson level of speed.

SDS

Totally agree, they really messed up Stan’s speed. Should be around 65 I think. And now the Ted Williams card is out and he is faster than Stan? Please!