Card collectors

SDS

We're talking about the real life kind. For those of you that collect cards, is it crazy for me to just throw away a bunch of commons? The collector in me is hesitant, but we're talking about stuff without much value and I just want to clear the space in my home office. I've picked through and pulled any HOFers or possible HOFers, any signature, patches, or serial numbered cards. Like the best that is there is maybe borderline HOFers who didn't make it. Someone like a Fred McGriff (as an example and perhaps one of the best players in the lot.

Would throwing those away be wrong? I dont know what else to do with them.

SDS

I'd look for Short Prints too. They're base cards with different photo variations. Some are Super Short Prints too, only way to check is by looking at the serial number. It will differ from the rest, most sets have 2-3 base serial numbers.

Also worth keeping any rookie cards you find. Beyond that and what you mentioned, nah.

SDS

@Ikasnu said in Card collectors:

I'd look for Short Prints too. They're base cards with different photo variations. Some are Super Short Prints too, only way to check is by looking at the serial number. It will differ from the rest, most sets have 2-3 base serial numbers.

Also worth keeping any rookie cards you find. Beyond that and what you mentioned, nah.

I've pulled all the short prints as well. Just that part of me that can't get beyond just trashing cards.

SDS

You can join a few trader sites, some folks are set builders or team set builders. Or, can always donate to Goodwill.

There are a lot of us in here that are collectors...offer up some trades. I’d be interested in taking some via trade or shipping cost.

SDS

@evanchance said in Card collectors:

You can join a few trader sites, some folks are set builders or team set builders. Or, can always donate to Goodwill.

There are a lot of us in here that are collectors...offer up some trades. I’d be interested in taking some via trade or shipping cost.

Yeah Ebay is a big site to use too. You can sell a stack of base cards for $15 or so probably if not more.

SDS

I've finished going through them (at least my first time through). I have nine 5,000-count boxes of stuff I just want to get rid of.

SDS

@bhall09 said in Card collectors:

I've finished going through them (at least my first time through). I have nine 5,000-count boxes of stuff I just want to get rid of.

What years are your collections?

SDS

Most of it is 87-early 90s (Yeah, I know). Then there's some from probably about 2000-2015. The majority is baseball. There's quite a bit of football, too, with some basketball and hockey mixed in. It's all commons with some semistars mixed in. No HOFers. (Although, I'm probably going to eventually get rid of my vast collection of stars from those eras too and just focus my collection on rookie cards, signatures or low-numbered).

SDS

Again, I’d be interested in trading for some, not individual cards but team bundle. Just need to know what, and how, you collect (specific team, player, type, brand, graded, etc.,.).

I’ve been collecting since mid 70s.

SDS

I wouldn't throw them away. You can sell them by random lot or if you have the time, divide them up by teams and sell them that way. There are donation opportunities as well. I don't remember the Twitter accounts, but I know there are a few that take donations and give away the cards to kids.

SDS

Again, I’d be interested in trading for some, not individual cards but team bundle. Just need to know what, and how, you collect (specific team, player, type, brand, graded, etc.,.).

I hear ya. I collect Rockies and rookie cards (of HOF type players). But I dont have the time to go through them to pull out what you might want. It already took me way to long to sort through and pull out what I wanted to keep. I've reached the point where I'm not looking for anything in return, really. More just want them out of the way.

SDS

@bhall09 said in Card collectors:

I hear ya. I collect Rockies and rookie cards (of HOF type players). But I dont have the time to go through them to pull out what you might want. It already took me way to long to sort through and pull out what I wanted to keep. I've reached the point where I'm not looking for anything in return, really. More just want them out of the way.

Got a decent Trevor Story PC myself.

SDS

I just started to invest in some cards. My two gems (I consider) are a 1991 Topps chipper jones RC and a 2011 Topps updated mike trout RC. Both are psa 10 graded. Hopefully trout continues to play at his level (probably surpass Mickey and get close to mays, at least in WAR)

SDS

I bought my first baseball card in about 2 years, maybe more. It is a 2020 Topps Archives Signature Series David Justice. The card itself is a 1996 Stadium Club, beautiful card, horizontal with Justice in mid swing. Signed in blue ink, 24/86.

It arrived today, just looking at it now. Not a big name card, but Justice is my favorite player still, and it does take me back when you first see the card, that excitement of opening a pack.

Again, I know this is small compared to what most buy, but I am happy with it. I like how Topps Archives treats these old cards.