Would you have done the same?

SDS

I’ll try to keep this brief...

My last RS game, I’m low 800’s (HOF) and face a guy with an alright record. First time facing Seaver in HOF, I got Kluber. Opponent smacks me around for first 4 innings. He’s only leading 2-0 but has 8 or 9 hits to my 2.

Top 4th, he’s got runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs, #8 batter at the plate so obviously I walk him to get to Seaver and HE PULLS HIM!!! I could hardly touch him, struck out a handful of times and he does me a huge favour! He brings in Thome and grounds out. Of course next two innings I tee off against his relievers (Eckersley and Rodney) and he quits.

I had never seen that before. I guess if I was losing I would do it to try and get back into the game but he was leading and I had a hard time reading him. Bad move on his part?

SDS

Depends, if my bullpen is fairly rested, (I.E. my big game guys that I trust like Wagner, Chapman, Gagne). I might think about pulling him, but I'd say 9 out of 10 times probably not.

SDS

Up two runs in the 4th after dominating my opponent the whole time? I would've taken my chances with my pitcher in the batter's box. Taken as many pitches as I could and then contact swung my heart out.

SDS

If I am winning and my opponent isn't hitting my SP well at all, I'm not pulling him until at least the 7th if I need to hit for him or his energy is Yellow

SDS

@taco_truck_face said in Would you have done the same?:

Up two runs in the 4th after dominating my opponent the whole time? I would've taken my chances with my pitcher in the batter's box. Taken as many pitches as I could and then contact swung my heart out.

Well that was my thought too. It’s not like he had a high pitch count (I’m a notoriously impatient hitter). Probably somewhere in the 35 pitch neighbourhood after 3 innings.

I get that he was trying to blow it open but that early and with 2 outs? I was pleasantly surprised

SDS

@Hikes83 said in Would you have done the same?:

@taco_truck_face said in Would you have done the same?:

Well that was my thought too. It’s not like he had a high pitch count (I’m a notoriously impatient hitter). Probably somewhere in the 35 pitch neighbourhood after 3 innings.

I get that he was trying to blow it open but that early and with 2 outs? I was pleasantly surprised

I'd think he gave you a gift, especially with the relievers he followed up with.

SDS

Most people do that just because they dont know better. they see they have some runners on, you walked number 8 hitter to get to his pitcher, so all he is thinking of is winning that one little battle. Good players think about the game as a whole and would never pull their SP that early if they had a 2 hit shutout going. Just like guys when they get that speed runner on first and immediately waste him by trying to steal at a bad time. Some people just over do it.

SDS

He might have thought that you just couldn't hit (Didnt matter who he had pitching). He was probably thinking if he got a hit in that situation, you would quit.

SDS

@Hikes83 said in Would you have done the same?:

I’ll try to keep this brief...

My last RS game, I’m low 800’s (HOF) and face a guy with an alright record. First time facing Seaver in HOF, I got Kluber. Opponent smacks me around for first 4 innings. He’s only leading 2-0 but has 8 or 9 hits to my 2.

Top 4th, he’s got runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs, #8 batter at the plate so obviously I walk him to get to Seaver and HE PULLS HIM!!! I could hardly touch him, struck out a handful of times and he does me a huge favour! He brings in Thome and grounds out. Of course next two innings I tee off against his relievers (Eckersley and Rodney) and he quits.

I had never seen that before. I guess if I was losing I would do it to try and get back into the game but he was leading and I had a hard time reading him. Bad move on his part?

Absolutely. He was rolling with Seaver & don’t take any offense to it but once he pinched hit for Seaver he handed you the game at that point. Definitely a bad move though & you benefited from it.

SDS

Hmm he probably felt that 2 runs wasn't going to be enough to beat you. Changing a pitcher who is shutting you out while you have a 2 run lead in the 4th is the equivalent of pinch hitting for your best hitter in a tied game in the 4th inning just because it's a lefty on lefty situation. Neither make sense and both will probably be decisions that will be regretted later in the game.

SDS

I'd probably pull him there if I was feeling good. I'd know I'd need more than 2 runs and know at some point Seaver is going to get hit. Depends how confident he was feeling facing your pitching also.

SDS

Outsmarted himself, you deserved the win....and he knows it!