OF Tumbling Forward After Cancelling Throw To The Plate?

SDS

This just happened to me where my opponent had runners on 1st and 2nd and hit a dribbler up the middle to CF. I began making my towards home plate, but I realized that I didn't have a chance to throw him out, so I cancelled my throw.

As his runner reaches 3rd base, and as soon as he saw my CF not throw the ball and go through the whole diving after the fake throw theatrics, he decides to head home. My CF is still laying on the ground (getting a sun tan) when his runner begins heading home as I'm yelling "GET UP, GET UP!!!" I couldn't believe he was still laying there. He heads home, and my guy doesn't get back on his feet until it was too late allowing him to score.

I completely understand that an outfielder would dive or tumble forward from their momentum after unleashing their cannon for a play at the plate. But why would they ever do that on a fake throw when they know they're not throwing the ball? Granted, this doesn't occur that often, but still, why is it even happening at all?

SDS

@onnagood1 said in OF Tumbling Forward After Cancelling Throw To The Plate?:

This just happened to me where my opponent had runners on 1st and 2nd and hit a dribbler up the middle to CF. I began making my towards home plate, but I realized that I didn't have a chance to throw him out, so I cancelled my throw.

As his runner reaches 3rd base, and as soon as he saw my CF not throw the ball and go through the whole diving after the fake throw theatrics, he decides to head home. My CF is still laying on the ground (getting a sun tan) when his runner begins heading home as I'm yelling "GET UP, GET UP!!!" I couldn't believe he was still laying there. He heads home, and my guy doesn't get back on his feet until it was too late allowing him to score.

I completely understand that an outfielder would dive or tumble forward from their momentum after unleashing their cannon for a play at the plate. But why would they ever do that on a fake throw when they know they're not throwing the ball? Granted, this doesn't occur that often, but still, why is it even happening at all?

Momentum, if they were getting ready to put their all into the throw and at the last second decide not to throw they are still gonna have to follow through with the motion or injure themselves trying to stop so quick. I think the bigger problem is that outfielders show absolutely no urgency in their plays/throws.

SDS

@Kovz88 said in OF Tumbling Forward After Cancelling Throw To The Plate?:

Momentum, if they were getting ready to put their all into the throw and at the last second decide not to throw they are still gonna have to follow through with the motion or injure themselves trying to stop so quick. I think the bigger problem is that outfielders show absolutely no urgency in their plays/throws.

That's a fair statement.

And to your point, my whole thing was just that....no sense of urgency. Notice how lackadaisical he is and how long it takes him to get back on his feet knowing there are runners on base. Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWuPR27GUg

SDS

@Kovz88 said in OF Tumbling Forward After Cancelling Throw To The Plate?:

That's a fair statement.

And to your point, my whole thing was just that....no sense of urgency. Notice how lackadaisical he is and how long it takes him to get back on his feet knowing there are runners on base. Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWuPR27GUg

Yah I wouldve been losing my mind there. Even if he doesn't get up quick the VERY LEAST he could do is flip it quickly to the cutoff guy from his knees or something to stop that run.

SDS

Wow. That video man... that's awful.

SDS

I appreciate your posts on this stuff because you always provide an accurate story and video evidence. Never come off as just a whiner who lost. And you can tell you just want the game to play well for everyone. Also you’ve been respectful and constructive, compared to years past, if my memory serves correct lol.

SDS

I have had that happen several times this year. I pucker up every time I cancel a throw from the outfield. It’s not a “momentum” thing, it’s the amount of time it takes them to get up that is ridiculous

SDS

Lol that video is hilarious, that must have been so frustrating. Guess your CF was dazed or something.

SDS

This has definitely happened to me too. My OF actually stayed on the ground the entire time until the opponent rounded the bases.

SDS

Wow, that is a new level of awful.

SDS

Yeah the lack of urgency in outfielders is probably the most frustrating part of the game for me this year. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched one of my guys just nonchalantly walk up to a ball while a runner is rounding the bases and I’ve screamed at the TV “ can you pick up the ball!!!” Lol

But of course they will fix this issue next year but they will overcompensate and the outfielders will be out there running around like they’re on crack and nothing at all will be able to drop for a hit lol

SDS

Yeah, its a pretty stupid animation. Not realistic at all. If they actually throw it I have no problem tumbling once in a thousand times maybe. But the icing on the cake is they dont get back up and you dont gain control after them when they finally do get back up for ages. My grandma can get up quicker then they do on here. And then to just stand there for like 3 full seconds? lol.

That is why the other player advanced his runner to go 90 feet when another man with the baseball in his hand only had to throw it about 150-200 feet to get him out. Do that math will ya. 90 feet at ~20 mph vs 200 feet at ~ 85 mph. Which one should have been dead to rights halfway down the line lol.

SDS

I would've been invoicing SDS for a new controller at that point. Mine would've been through a wall, a window, or maybe even one of my pets.