Defensive stats

SDS

How TF are guys like Frank Thomas and David Ortiz not making errors more frequently?

I value defense so much but I’m startinfg to think there is no difference between a common and a diamond defender.

Any thoughts?

SDS

Well at 1B it probably doesn't matter. 3B I feel is similar, although they will get slower animations and sometimes botch routine plays. Infielders do matter. But defensive attributes definitely translate the best in outfielders; the jump they get when the ball comes off the bat is critical. That's also why I believe that the reaction attribute is way more important than the actual fielding attribute. Fielding will give better animations, but reaction will make the outfielder get a good jump in the right direction.

Just try playing Charlie Blackmon in the outfield and you'll see exactly what I mean.

SDS

Just because they have low Atts, (Attributes), not Stats, (the numbers you create with them), doesnt mean they should make errors. There are only so many errors you can make at 1st base anyways. It just means they are less likely to make an excellent play. I easily notice the difference between a diamond fielding 1st baseman over a bronze or common. Even more so than at 3rd sometimes. It is usually their arm that gets you on relay plays or something like that.

SDS

I can tell you bronze Gary Sheffield is the best third baseman in the game.