The Marlins hire the first female GM.

SDS

Good for her. Curious, though, what the deal was with the old GM. Seemed like he was moving the team in the right direction. I watched him on the MLB Network last offseason when they had the roundtable of GMs (which was awesome BTW), and he seemed pretty well respected and had a good vision. He seems to be decent enough to be the front runner for the Mets job.

I couldn't find much about why they didn't resign him on the internet. Any Marlins fans with some Inside Baseball here to help me out.

SDS

@MathMan5072 said in The Marlins hire the first female GM.:

the deal was with the old GM. Seemed like he was moving the team in the right direction. I watched him on the MLB Network last offseason when they had the roundtable of GMs (which was awesome BTW), and he seemed pretty well respected and had a good vision. He seems to be decent enough

@ItsaCanesthing

SDS

The problem of the old GM was that he had the "Stain" of the previous owner, Jeffrey Loria.
The Jeter Regime was not pleased with the return on the fire sale trades, draft picks and talent development.
Excluding the Stanton trade which was a straight salary dump.
I thought they did great except for the Yelich & Anderson trades.
The Ozuna trade landed us Alcantara, Isan Diaz and Zac Gallen (which we flipped for Jazz Chislom) - A top of the rotation arm and a potential future SS in Jazz.
Realmuto got us Future Ace Sixto Sanchez and IMO under rated catcher Jorge Alfaro

The trades that got him fired were
Giving away Nick Anderson (who had many yrs of control left) for Ryan Stanek and Jesus Sanchez could be a top 10 all time most lopsided trade ever.
And what we got back for Yelich was criminal. It was so bad that the Miami D.A. issued an arrest warrant for the Brewers GM.

Mike Hill was a capable and all round good guy, but in a league where the Dodgers and Yankees can literally print cash, the Marlins need to count every penny. His failed record on draft picks, development and poor trades did him in.

It also severs one of the few remaining ties to the Loria era, which besides lucking into a title in 2003 has been a black stain on the history of baseball. Loria wrecked not one but two franchises.

If she can pick future superstars, fleece opposing GMs and pick up vets that have one yr left for cheap, I dont care if she is a 3 headed Martian that is attracted to goats.

SDS

@ItsaCanesthing said in The Marlins hire the first female GM.:

I dont care if she is a 3 headed Martian that is attracted to goats.

😆

SDS

@ItsaCanesthing said in The Marlins hire the first female GM.:

The problem of the old GM was that he had the "Stain" of the previous owner, Jeffrey Loria.
The Jeter Regime was not pleased with the return on the fire sale trades, draft picks and talent development.
Excluding the Stanton trade which was a straight salary dump.
I thought they did great except for the Yelich & Anderson trades.
The Ozuna trade landed us Alcantara, Isan Diaz and Zac Gallen (which we flipped for Jazz Chislom) - A top of the rotation arm and a potential future SS in Jazz.
Realmuto got us Future Ace Sixto Sanchez and IMO under rated catcher Jorge Alfaro

The trades that got him fired were
Giving away Nick Anderson (who had many yrs of control left) for Ryan Stanek and Jesus Sanchez could be a top 10 all time most lopsided trade ever.
And what we got back for Yelich was criminal. It was so bad that the Miami D.A. issued an arrest warrant for the Brewers GM.

Mike Hill was a capable and all round good guy, but in a league where the Dodgers and Yankees can literally print cash, the Marlins need to count every penny. His failed record on draft picks, development and poor trades did him in.

It also severs one of the few remaining ties to the Loria era, which besides lucking into a title in 2003 has been a black stain on the history of baseball. Loria wrecked not one but two franchises.

If she can pick future superstars, fleece opposing GMs and pick up vets that have one yr left for cheap, I dont care if she is a 3 headed Martian that is attracted to goats.

Good info! @MathMan5072

SDS

As one of the most vocal Marlins fan (the only one?) on this board, I approve of this hire.
I am not asking her to hit a curveball or strike out a batter out.
On the field chicks can't compete with dudes but in front office? Absolutely.

All I care about is winning, and if she can:
bring in the best minds and scouts
make excellent trades
Draft intelligently and efficiently (this is baseball not the NFL where you need to hit on most of your picks)
Develop talent
Sign international players of note
and win a title. I am all for her.

But if she is as bad as Mike Hill and the team is bad, being a chick will not save her from my criticism.
And if you ask her, I bet she would say that is what she wants. She wants to be treated like any other GM.
She has put in her time, made her bones and has earned the opportunity to build a team.
She doesn't want special treatment because she is a woman. And that I can respect.
No victims
No special treatment
Just win!!!!