A Little Context and then Two Questions

SDS

I picked up this game in April and began playing DD in June. I love this game now. I’m 39 years old, work during the day, then play after the kids are in bed and the wife is content - so from about 10pm-midnight each night.

First Question:
Just like anything else in life, it becomes much more enjoyable as you get better. Do you guys see improvement continuously? Or might there be a plateau at some point - either due to not changing approach or due to old age.

Second Question:
What is your experience of improving from year to year? For example, did you get smoked all the time first year, then improve to .500 winning percentage, then World Series in your 3rd year?

SDS

Interesting questions and I think it’s different for everyone. As for me:

1. I do think I have plateaued, but only due to my own contentment with making WS. I feel that I could compete past WS and push above 1,000 - I’ve just never gave it a real shot. As for anything, there’s a learning curve and you will eventually plateau after steep improvement early.

2. my first online experience was in ‘17 when I dabbled a bit online. It was brutal, I struggled to score most games and gave up quick. In ‘18 I gave it a real shot and after being around .500 for the first couple months, I actually made WS by I think August of ‘18. Since then I’ve been able to make WS every season that I’ve made a concerted effort in.

SDS

@writetoshawn said in A Little Context and then Two Questions:

I picked up this game in April and began playing DD in June. I love this game now. I’m 39 years old, work during the day, then play after the kids are in bed and the wife is content - so from about 10pm-midnight each night.

First Question:
Just like anything else in life, it becomes much more enjoyable as you get better. Do you guys see improvement continuously? Or might there be a plateau at some point - either due to not changing approach or due to old age.

Second Question:
What is your experience of improving from year to year? For example, did you get smoked all the time first year, then improve to .500 winning percentage, then World Series in your 3rd year?

I’m about the same age and was about the same story back in 2018. I picked up the game to play road to the show. Then saw the free br entry and tried it but didn’t know how to draft etc so got crushed but got hooked. I got better each month and toward the end of the year made ws once. 19 I made ws every season although I’m convinced they changed the point system in 19 for how many you got for wins and what you lost for losses so I think making ws in 19 was much easier than in 18. Also had 5-6 12-0 runs in br. This year made ws pretty easy each season but haven’t played much br. My point is just stick with it and it definitely gets easier. You will pick up tendencies of the game and which cards play well for you. For me there are just certain cards that work well for me year to year.

SDS

Really helpful my man.

SDS

First Question:

Second Question:

1. You're not too old to be elite, improvement is relative but it definitely has direct correlation to play time, this game requires insane amount of reps for mastery. No way around it unfortunately.

2. Everyone is sort of different, didn't get smoked ever but lost plenty of games to fielding mediocre teams because I didn't want to put the hours to grind stubs/players rather than just jump into a game.

SDS

Really helpful my man.

Also once you get going and start winning it will get easier because more games will be played on hall of fame and above. Legend is definitely challenging and hall of fame usually plays pretty well. Playing on all star is a disaster. If all they offered was all star I would have given up the game a long time ago. If you legitimately play well on hall of fame or legend you will probably win unless you run up against an absolute stud. If evenly matched whoever plays better that game has a pretty good chance of winning. On all star especially this year it seems to be a crapshoot. Just know the game gets better after all star.

SDS

This is my first year playing DD and struggled like hell the first few months. I can hold my own on Allstar but can not touch HOF generally. I know if i put more time in i will be better but i put way to much time in this game as is. Im content on my level of play. The collecting cards is the most fun. Without conquest maps i wouldnt play much offline because just playing the CPU does not seem rewarding. RS is a [censored] show and shouldnt be taken seriously. If your slumping or getting frustrated just turn it off and take a break