Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM

SDS

Pretty interesting take he gave concerning the analytical approach the game has taken. Theo seems to believe the approach has harmed the entertainment value the game offers.

Here's a link to the tweet

I believe there is some truth to the statement he's making. Interested to hear other perspectives from people regarding the issue.

SDS

Meh, it’s whatever. Not like it’s groundbreaking news. Access to information and analytics nowadays is rampant not only in baseball but across all major sports in general.

At the end of the day, for most of these high executive jobs, it’s about making money and winning championships at all costs

SDS

@Hikes83 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

Meh, it’s whatever. Not like it’s groundbreaking news. Access to information and analytics nowadays is rampant not only in baseball but across all major sports in general.

At the end of the day, for most of these high executive jobs, it’s about making money and winning championships at all costs

I believe the point he's making though is that the analytical approach is harming the entertainment value of the game. This in turn lowers attendance (the Covid season not included), lower tv ratings, less national appeal.

Those things contribute to lost revenue for the game.

SDS

I had a long conversation with my s/o about this last night. It's tough to articulate (as I discovered) but I agree with Theo's comments.

You can't help but feel that the continual state of roster churn makes it more difficult for fans to care about or bond with a particular player, for example.

SDS

The game has become HR, strike out, or walk and that's about it now. There's no team approach, going the other way, steal a base, hardly anything exciting happening during a game anymore. Everyone just waits to see what team is going to hit the most HRs to score. It doesn't matter what the game situation is, 95% of the players don't try to do any small ball/situational play. It's swing for the fences no matter what

SDS

Game 6 of the World Series is a pretty good example of too much data interfering with the game. I'd have much rather seen Blake Snell blow that lead than take him out after 70 pitches and watch the next guy immediately give up runs.

Decisions like that are terrible for the game because A) Unless you're looking at those numbers, the decision makes no sense, and B) Outside of those numbers, there was absolutely no reason to take him out. It's the World Series, and your starting pitcher is rolling.

The analytics drive really has muted much of what makes baseball great.

Fun fact (meh, not really fun): There were 104 complete games pitched in 2015. Last season (2019), there were 45. In 2015, 735 pitchers were used the entire season. In 2019, that number is up to 831. The craziest, though...2020, a 60 game season...that number is...yep...735. That's insane. There are some good reasons for it, but holy [censored], that's a lot for less than half a season.

SDS

@WiryHooligan22 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

Game 6 of the World Series is a pretty good example of too much data interfering with the game. I'd have much rather seen Blake Snell blow that lead than take him out after 70 pitches and watch the next guy immediately give up runs.

Decisions like that are terrible for the game because A) Unless you're looking at those numbers, the decision makes no sense, and B) Outside of those numbers, there was absolutely no reason to take him out. It's the World Series, and your starting pitcher is rolling.

Fun fact (meh, not really fun): There were 104 complete games pitched in 2015. Last season (2019), there were 45. In 2015, 735 pitchers were used the entire season. In 2019, that number is up to 831. The craziest, though...2020, a 60 game season...that number is...yep...735. That's insane. There are some good reasons for it, but holy [censored], that's a lot for less than half a season.

a lot of it came from guys being called up to relieve. There were very few days off so when a bullpen got taxed the night before, a guy was called up to eat innings. (As a cardinals fan i saw about all of that I can handle(4 homeruns in one inning in his debut))

SDS

@SpudXpert27 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

@WiryHooligan22 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

a lot of it came from guys being called up to relieve. There were very few days off so when a bullpen got taxed the night before, a guy was called up to eat innings. (As a cardinals fan i saw about all of that I can handle(4 homeruns in one inning in his debut))

Oh, for sure. This year was an absolute outlier for many reasons.

SDS

Covid season was a bit of an outlier (hehe). The Cardinals for instance didn't have a choice with how many games they had to play but to use up arms.

The analytical model, over the course of the regular season, is effective. It's a larger sample size and the numbers play out.

In the postseason however, I think it fails. The reason being is in the post season everything is heightened. Pitchers and hitters aren't giving away at bats like you see sometimes in the grind of the regular season. Analytics don't tell you who will perform under the added stress. Analytics managers sometimes struggle to make good decisions (Kevin Cash).

They need to enhance the on field product during the season though. The three outcomes game is boring.

SDS

Some discussion about him coming to Colorado apparently. Again, local, but I would welcome it with open legs.

SDS

@Ikasnu said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

Colorado apparently. Again, local, but I would welcome it with open legs.

…………...…………………… 😑
I also heard he MIGHT try for commissioner...

SDS

Two things I like about Jed, that I just heard:

1. He was the one that demanded we get Pedro Strop in the Jake Arrieta trade, which was AWESOME.
  2. He was against trading Eloy for Quintana, which is AWESOME.
SDS

He is 100% accurate when it comes to strikeouts and not having the ball be put in play. What's more exciting, watching Gallo strikeout 4 times a game or seeing a rally where the team strings together 5 or 6 hits in an inning and puts 3 run on the board? Yes it's hard to get that many hits vs a solo home run, but give me the multiple hits.

SDS

@kdogg53075 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

He is 100% accurate when it comes to strikeouts and not having the ball be put in play. What's more exciting, watching Gallo strikeout 4 times a game or seeing a rally where the team strings together 5 or 6 hits in an inning and puts 3 run on the board? Yes it's hard to get that many hits vs a solo home run, but give me the multiple hits.

path of least resistance my friend

SDS

Here are some interesting links I found about Theo
Read #1
Read #2
Read #3

I had heard some stuff about politics, but think that there is a VERY good chance he becomes commissioner. I know that the Cubs and Red Sox owners will like him. 🙂

SDS

@SpudXpert27 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

@kdogg53075 said in Theo Epstein's response to his approach as GM:

path of least resistance my friend

Yeah the it's the path of least resistance, and the most boring thing in the world to watch. Oh look, we have a couple guys on and can put some runs up. Then three straight K's because why just try to score the guys on base when we can try to get all three home at once and get nothing! Hit and run, hit the other way? F that, I'm striking out!!