Swing timing and pci placement

SDS

Do you aim your pci before swinging or do you aim your pci while swinging ?

SDS

On all star, I leave it dead center and react to the pitch and this works fine. On HoF, I have to cheat and start the PCI slightly off center, otherwise I will not have time to react to fast pitches.

Now, when I say I start it slightly off center, notice I didn’t specify where. That’s because you need to know where the pitch is likely to be in order to determine where to start your PCI, although just the act of having some tension in your thumb and holding any direction helps with reaction time. So, to determine where to start the PCI, I tend to take more pitches the first time through the order and see where they like to go, particularly if you can get count leverage. These count leverage situations hold vital information, because in a 3-1 count, for example, they’re often breaking out that “I need a strike” pitch. It could be a sinker that breaks away from a left handed batter, it could be a slider in to a left handed batter, they might go to a fastball up and in to a same handed batter, whatever. The salient point is, if you get in these situations often and they tend to go to the same pitch in the same location, you have valuable information. The more pitches you see, the more you know. If they’re pitching you up, cheat up. If they’re pounding outside, start the PCI slightly up and away. It’s all about getting a read on your opponent, while giving nothing away, just like poker.

SDS

I’m just waiting for @SchnauzerFace to reply here saying that he aims his PCI slightly AFTER swinging.