Online play, external hard drive and lag

SDS

I play the game on an external hard drive and I am wondering if playing on it can cause lag during online play ?

SDS

Assumption (with no evidence to back it up) would be no, as required code and assets for game to run smoothly would be loaded into RAM.

SDS

@Red_Ted_is_back said in Online play, external hard drive and lag:

Assumption (with no evidence to back it up) would be no, as required code and assets for game to run smoothly would be loaded into RAM.

Possibly correct, my only doubts would be extras like stadium sounds, card art, etc. I would think those would still load from the drive, as I don't think they would bother loading those to RAM. But I could be wrong.

SDS

@abbyspapa said in Online play, external hard drive and lag:

Possibly correct, my only doubts would be extras like stadium sounds, card art, etc. I would think those would still load from the drive, as I don't think they would bother loading those to RAM. But I could be wrong.

My guess with the card art is that it’s in RAM; only 26 or so players per team, besides when you go into check player stats they are there in an instant.

You could be right about sound; got me thinking perhaps the commentary is loaded. Unless all possibly relevant commentary is loaded into RAM at the start of the game which would be a crazy waste of memory. But Matt’s play by play would have to be I’d say, just not the colour. I reckon you’re on to something.

Still, I don’t reckon it would cause any lag as it would simply be loaded locally. Entirely possible both players could even experience different commentary for the same play so that it doesn’t effect transfer of data at all.

SDS

@abbyspapa said in Online play, external hard drive and lag:

My guess with the card art is that it’s in RAM; only 26 or so players per team, besides when you go into check player stats they are there in an instant.

You could be right about sound; got me thinking perhaps the commentary is loaded. Unless all possibly relevant commentary is loaded into RAM at the start of the game which would be a crazy waste of memory. But Matt’s play by play would have to be I’d say, just not the colour. I reckon you’re on to something.

Still, I don’t reckon it would cause any lag as it would simply be loaded locally. Entirely possible both players could even experience different commentary for the same play so that it doesn’t effect transfer of data at all.

Good points. Even the External vs internal drive question depends on what PS4 they have, if they upgraded the stock internal drive or not, what type of external drive they are using, etc.

Most external drives are faster than the stock internal PS4 drive, even when you account for SATA II vs USB 3.0, although you could hit memory roadblocks if the PS4 can't keep up with the external drive transfer rates.