Mark the Bird Fidrych - get the rights for him

Can we get this guy in the game? His breakout was 1976. Also was a great dude outside of baseball. I’d like to think he would have got a kick out of seeing himself in this game. For you youngsters that don’t know anything about him, watch this link

This was a top five game of all time at Tiger Stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwGj4VfCreg

As much as I would love to see the bird in the game, I just really don't see it happening. He has absolutely 0 name recognition outside of Tigers fans and only played for 4 seasons

As a fellow Detroit Tigers fan I can’t agree more! I still hope one day I can create the 2006 Tigers lineup in DD, since that was the first year I remember watching baseball. 8 year old me was going crazy when Magglio hit that walk off homer. Got that Al Kaline today too. But can’t wait until his Sig Series drops

@the_dragon1912 said in Mark the Bird Fidrych - get the rights for him:

As much as I would love to see the bird in the game, I just really don't see it happening. He has absolutely 0 name recognition outside of Tigers fans and only played for 4 seasons

Zero name recognition outside of Tigers fans? Nah. That’s not true. His career was ended very quick by injuries. But for a season, he was the biggest star in the entire league.

Everyone knows the Bird.

The ending of that game with the fans is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen on a baseball field.

They showed him so much love and respect and he didn’t know how to handle it. Beautiful.

1976 was his only year, sure he made the All Star team in 77 but he never had the same success as he did in 76. He's known outside of Detroit because of the way he acted on the mound.

@foge011 said in Mark the Bird Fidrych - get the rights for him:

1976 was his only year, sure he made the All Star team in 77 but he never had the same success as he did in 76. He's known outside of Detroit because of the way he acted on the mound.

Exactly why he’d be so great in this game. Imagine your pitcher talking to the ball before pitches. Haha

@allmustfall16 said in Mark the Bird Fidrych - get the rights for him:

Exactly why he’d be so great in this game. Imagine your pitcher talking to the ball before pitches. Haha

I'm all for more Tigers, but think I'll pass on Fidrych. I'd be good with a Whitaker, Gibson or Lolich though.

I'm all for more Tigers, but think I'll pass on Fidrych. I'd be good with a Whitaker, Gibson or Lolich though.

Pass on Fidrych??... man.

Can we get this guy in the game? His breakout was 1976. Also was a great dude outside of baseball. I’d like to think he would have got a kick out of seeing himself in this game. For you youngsters that don’t know anything about him, watch this link

This was a top five game of all time at Tiger Stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwGj4VfCreg

It’s a shame what happened to him. Not only a tragic end to such a promising career, but he passed away in such a tragic way too.

He’s a guy I always think of when people pose the “what if so-and-so had stayed healthy” question. His career ended because of a concern that today is much easier to diagnose and remedy.

MLB network aired a documentary about his life a few years ago. It’s called The Bird, if anyone out there wants to learn more about the man and his career.